Detox is a painful way to cleanse and put right what has gone wrong through incorrect habits and indulgence. It is an embarrassing admission that we allowed something to go bad and now have become aware to perhaps half hearted attempt to put right. For me it was drinking to excess and drunkenness and addiction to drugs. I don’t mean all illegal ones, but also pep pills, anti depressants, pain relief and throat medicines. Any fault I felt I saw within then I would indulge on what I thought may cure it but to excess.I have smoked a cigarette maybe three times in my life and fail to see its allure or addictive qualities when it smells bad and is proven harmful. Yet I am blind to my own addictions. Yes I can admit them on talking with a friend and I can admit them to myself, yet I don’t seem to possess the will to halt such desires. A detox weekend becomes a token as the next weekend I am drinking again. I enjoy being with my friends and we all do together drink.
In my writings I often allude. I often try to use widely known references although perhaps the way I refer to it is not so open. As a small girl I loved to read and as a teen I think I re-read some of my child books only to discover that each story had new meanings. I was aware that no longer were the stories I thought I knew so simple and shallow but had depth or a second layer. As an adult I know now there are still more layers and depths. Still, I remain just ordinary and only playfully allude. Perhaps you do see more than I believe some can.
My career track was a series of small unsuccessful attempts of my own until by way of chance or design I met a genius who was in the business. It was he that opened the doors for me. As he guided me my success was almost guaranteed since everyone admired him so much. Perhaps that’s where I was blinded in the first instance and the mistake was aggravated by mixing business and pleasure and before I knew anything more I was living with him. It was not living in his shadow but being pushed forwards into the light. Unnerving but it is what I craved or thought I did.
I resent so much about that affair now and how I was treated but I am glad I experienced it because I leaned so much about life and about myself. I had become a paradox in acting out a part that really wasn’t me. I had been moulded like some clay into whatever shape they had desired and as I looked inside I could feel shame that my own essence seemed lost.
After a very terrible break up, I ran away from everything .You cannot know how desperately unhappy I was or the shame I felt I had brought.
It took a time to overcome that and I didn’t do it alone. This was a time I re-evaluated people and myself. I travelled to foreign places and the distance felt good.
When I came home I found people who were willing to gamble on me and life once more had meaning. Not everyone thought of my achievements as successful and I received some awful criticism for many things, but the people who look at company profits were always happy with my contribution and they are perhaps the men with loudest voices when policy is discussed.
In the last three years I became involved in projects I had never dreamed I would indulge in or enjoy but I did and people noticed and acknowledged me and some of those people were the ones who at first wouldn’t believe in me. I had proved something to them about adaptability and personal determination and even parts of my own self doubts evaporated.
To climb a mountain is an achievement. To stand at its peak is breathtaking. But you can’t stay there forever because there are other mountains to climb and so you should climb down. I unfortunately lost my footing and fell down, landing unceremoniously with my dress torn open and a bottle in my hand.
I could not offer consistency and I failed at maintaining continuous16 hour days without proper rest. It’s my fault entirely. I drank to hide my tears and took the pills to try to maintain abilities. I could not meet appointments and I let everyone down. Perhaps being assisted home by the police didn’t help sway the decisions of the people holding my contract in their hands when they called me to the office.
I can laugh in some respects and cry in others but that will not change anything. What happened has happened and past and is unchangeable. All I can do is learn from it and armed with such experience, I can ensure that I am not guilty again of the same mistakes. One week after the start of my new job and I feel fine!
Now it's the weekend and I can have just a few drinks.
First, I wonder if you are truly alcoholic or just think you are. Alcoholics usually have to hit the bottom before they can recover, and rise back up. Is that what you have done? I don't see anything here in your writings that you were ever at that stage. Getting drunk on weekends with your friends, being helped home by the police and popping pills may be irrisponsible...even stupid, and worse still dangerous, but not the sign of an alcoholic. If what you say is true then you do have a problem. Nevertheless it is a problem from which you can recover. I don't believe you have hit the bottom, and you are already on the way to getting your life back together. You are admitting it to yourself. That's a good start. Alcoholics stay alcoholics because they can't admit they have a problem. By writing about it you have already crossed the first hurdle. Now you need to get your life back into order. You can do this by stop telling yourself lies. Do you honestly believe you are serious about being alcoholic? Do you honestly believe you are a responsible person? Do you honestly believe you can "have just a few drinks" on the weekend and remain in control of your decision making? Maybe you are not yet an alcoholic but heading in that direction.
Jazz, you are far too intelligent to allow yourself to be anything else but a very responsible, and well behaved person. I have read all your blogs and I have read nothing that will change my views of you as being a well adjusted, bright, and strong minded lady.
I have always enjoyed your blogs. Please keep writing them. I send you my good wishes.
kongotomo gokenkode oshiawasede arimasu youni oinori itashimasu.
Sashi
April 11, 2008 9:48 PMJust a coke please. You should stick to tea or lemonade :).
Quietman
April 11, 2008 9:49 PMOh I hit the bottom - but purposely I left that part out. Blogging and showing that I believe I am taking some kind of control is a writing of positivity and hope. Talking of attempted suicide is totally negativity, especially since reason abandons you.
Alcohol is one of the worse drugs because it is not hidden inside packets and introduced into your body in private moments. Alcohol is all dressed up with party night laughter and social acceptance attitudes that we rarely notice when the first hooks go deeper than they should.
It is not a habit that seems to be so easily dismissed or substituted once it becomes 'hard-wired' into your brain and seems as natural as breathing.
It is a long process after hitting the bottom that we try to fly above the 'bottom' again. But flying takes energy and sooner or later we rest and that is the time that the temptation takes us.
Just one more can't hurt can it?
Reason walks out of the door. Persuading her to stay is sometimes difficult.
The positives for such a terrible affliction personally is that now I can talk about it in the past tense and either believe I am past the worst or just pretend and continue to delude myself. I believe I am in control and whether I am or not, belief is a powerful tool and a step, if not more, to achieving the ambition of control.
Kochira no 'purezente-shon' wo mite itadaki arigato gozaimashita
Ron thank you for your kind and supportive words.I used to have a very bad habit of laying siege to castles and burning bridges! I am also glad that I know you because you too are open and honest with your feelings and do not dress them up with the robes of heroic tales. This is the way we see truths about others and can learn that sometimes our own truths need modifying. Thank you.
Quiteman, indeed the truth shall expose us for what we are. We can hide the truth from many, but we can never hide it from ourselves. It's not my society that offers me the pressure. Do you hear of alcoholics in your society? This is a disease beyond the abstractions of humankind.
Perfection is part of my job description. Thank you too for the well wish.
Wanna go for drinks guys?
Jazz
April 11, 2008 9:49 PMThat was a very honest and courageous admission on your part Jazz. You are always so open and honest in your writing, and a bit shocking at times.
It sounds as if there is strong peer pressure to drink in your society.
If you really think you have a problem, you should seek help somewhere; perhaps from a self help group or a rehab clinic.
Glad your first week went well, hope it stays the same. You should just do your best at work and not expect perfectiion all the time.
Quietman
April 11, 2008 9:49 PMI was told once there are three bridges to paradise. Bridge of Recognition, Bridge of Responsibility and the Bridge of Acceptance. You have crossed that first bridge. I know you will cross the next two.
I am very proud to say I know you Jazz. You are strong person of good heart. Many could take a lesson from you, many have probably learned from you and I am sure that you have contributed to manys success.
Stay strong.
Ron
Smiling Pig
April 11, 2008 9:49 PM