
The office seems to be 24 hour operations and even worse in January because we were closed for a week it was a much more compressed time-scale to get the next edition out on time. I can say that some mornings I was there at 5am and I can also say that on some evenings I saw the clock pass from one day to the next. I have seen the sun stream through the windows and after meetings I return to my desk and gaze at the night-time neons of the bar across the street. Of course when my boss invites me to go for a drink with her then that's fine and I think it's something all junior employees do.
Yes I was tempted to Save my work and then visit the bar and download a drink or two. But I better have something to save first... so my fingers dance across the keyboard and my little wheel of the company machine keeps turning.
Business evolves and adapts to the economic climate and like most other developed countries, massive savings on labor costs can be made be relocating many of our manufacturing sectors into other countries like China and Thailand and India. This means that a lot of men suddenly find themselves without jobs and the news is full of recession talk.
There was a time that most men would stay with one company for life and advance by means of his dedication but this seems an ill conceived idea these days. In my heart I feel slowly the traditions of our society we held as true and normal erode away on the path we call progress.
Where have those playgrounds that were the joy of our first years disappeared to?
As I travel to and from work I see more and more females cramming into the subway and I wonder if this is another step in equality albeit once not foreseen? There was a time when girls held the lowest positions in the companies, had a job description of looking pretty and then married off to a nice young man by the age of thirty and retire to raise a family.
I smile perversely for a moment until I realise that in truth we are doing the same jobs as males for less money!
Hahahah
It's a competitive world and the company must save where it can.
I think I fell asleep for a moment and I take my hands out of my sleeping bag to answer my phone. Hitomi has arrived home and wonders if she should make food and bring it to me.
I ask if she will drive over and pick me up while I finish three or four more pages.
Oh come on guys, this is fiction!
ライブはとても 大盛り上がりの 大絶叫
It's an excuse why I haven't been here for a while and collect your sympathies.
But work has taken my time and so has dear Hitomi, who has been attending auditions for a new play. Wishing her good luck.
She also has two tickets for Jake Shimabukuro at the Orchard hall on the 23rd. He is a pretty cool ukulele player.
ありがとうございました! えっっ? ちゃんと聞いてないって?(笑)
Good to see that you're finally back, Jazz. Think you had us all worried.
Jake is very good on the ukelele, but I think I prefer the late George Formby playing 'When I'm Cleaning Windows'. He's also on Youtube.
Hope you and Hitomi enjoy the ooncert.
Quietman
April 11, 2008 9:55 PMNo, I didnt miss you. Hihihihi! I knew you would turn up.
Fiction or not Jazz its a scenario played out all over the developed world...and for quite different reasons by those from underdeveloped countries.
In this country, Australia, many industries are relocating to countries with low production costs.
The Telcos use call centres in India and often one doesn't know at the time of calling from whence that call is being answered or generated.
As an aside I seem to recall some years ago when United States complained that Japan's balance of trade favoured Japan. To counter this complaint and at the same time maintain industries' profit margins several Japanese companies relocated to Brazil and Mexico. This had the effect of lowering the Japanese exports to the U.S.A. thus easing America's complaint.
Glad you are still in the land of the living. Nice too, to see that Hitomi San is still keeping your pulse racing.
P.S. Shhh! I really did miss you.
Sashi
April 11, 2008 9:56 PMYou're back Jazz and that is what counts. You were missed my friend.
Yours,
Ron
Smiling Pig
April 11, 2008 9:56 PM