Parting is such sweet sorrow

Romance novels lead us to the conclusion that after the introductions, the two people who realize they are in love each other have to face the story-line hurdles and they must conquer these to lead to a land of 'happy ever after'. The movies tell us that the hero always get the girl, but it's not like that in real life, is it?
The world we live in is supposedly one of enlightenment and tolerance and for all the altruistic remarks we say aloud, deep down inside there lays dark brooding pools of ignorance, of intolerance, of incorrect preconceptions and unreasonable hatred of things we sometimes do not understand or we simply don't want to! How easily angry we can become at loved ones for simply not agreeing with us when a difference of points of view and perspective should really help us all to understand a 'bigger picture' but unfortunately the emotional friction involved often leads to questions of allegiance and sides.
It is said that when an argument arises the wise will simply quench it with silence and perhaps this is the best strategy when arguing with fools but when it's with one you love then spiteful words may hurt our feelings but silence can break our hearts.

It seems poignant at this time to think of this now because firstly, my sister loses a friend because she decided to remain neutral and not agree with her friend's hatred. In refusing to take a side then he chose it for her with an ultimatum that "if you are not with me you must be against me." Perhaps such immature obsessions can lead us to incorrect logical conclusions and a very distorted view of the important things in life, but in my opinion a friend that would offer you such a choice is no real friend at all and they would certainly have no regard for the feelings of anyone other than themselves.

Secondly after a long and troubled marriage my friend Yoshi claimed that she is free. I had often seen her with sad eyes and because I am a friend I felt that I could ask if all was well and not ask it as a casual question. She would smile and say it was, but I knew something was not well in her mind. After agreeing to meet for coffee with us she finally admitted that she was tired of an abusive husband and was now rid of him but still missed him. It was a big surprise to Hitomi and I since we thought we knew him and he had never seemed like an aggressive man at all. It is perhaps the part of a person that you don't see. The private side of a person behind closed doors and blinds that could shock us or surprise us with astounding exposes. But a greater surprise was to come.

Perhaps it was her loneliness or just her beautiful heart made me invite her for tea at my home one afternoon. Friends always support friends and say things that offer reassurances and to show allegiance, very much like the choosing of sides for my sisters ex-friend? But she and I were talking over tea and we chatted quite naturally but when I gave her some clothes for her son who is almost two years of age as a small gift it seemed to be a trigger and the tears simply fell from her eyes. I stood and held her in my arms as she told me the real truth of her husband. The confession that he had never hit her at all but had simply desired another woman and left her and her son to be with her. It had made her feel so worthless and increased the burden of parenting responsibilities
It was at this moment that Hitomi walked in and saw the two of us in an embrace.
What was on my face, guilt? Sympathy and tears for my friend?
She turned and walked out again.

What can I tell you about girls like me to help you understand?
In a world where the expected normality of boy loves girl you can see and may have witnessed or experienced the emotional intensity of losing a loved one to another. But in a world where girl loves girl the feelings are so much greater and intensified. The love is greater and unfortunately so is the jealousy and sense of loss. Perhaps you can find reasons yourself why this is so because not everyone would agree with mine.

I had to run out and hold her and look into her eyes and ask her not to leave me and to listen to me as I offered my explanation in its innocence. Perhaps the foolishness or guilt is mine. There are reasons I love this girl and one of them is because she listens to me, she understands me and of course she loves me implicitly. I am lucky to have someone so understanding and accepting of who I am.

I think it's important to be yourself always and to stand by what you think is the right way and remain true to your own beliefs. Have the courage of your own convictions. Always be honest with the one you love, even if the honesty will show a bad side of our selves because having a relationship that's built on secrets and lies is doomed to fail. Yoshi has lost something special and perhaps through no fault of her own, but she has become closer to us and putting a smile on her face puts smiles on our faces too.

Hitomi leaves on Sunday and her job once more take her away from me. The hurdles as I mentioned are not just at the start before the happy ever after. Life is full of trials and our progress through life can be measured in how we deal with each obstacle.
There is no happy ever after because it's not meant to be a continual thing. Happiness happens on many levels. The contentment of doing well, of striving to be a better person, and the happiness of finding love all come in moments that we can savour. But we all know that we cannot appreciate true happiness without its contrast of tasting pain and heartbreak.

Learn from the tears, laugh with the joy and always remain true to yourself.


水に流す

3 comments :: Parting is such sweet sorrow

  1. Even Romeo and Juliet's passionate love for each other ended through a tragic misunderstanding.
    Juliet took the sleeping potion that would cause her to appear as if dead in order to avoid marrying Paris. The plan was that Romeo would come to take her body away but instead found Paris with her. She hoped she would awake, "that I shall say goodnight til it be morrow". Romeo fought with Paris killing him and then killed himself. Juliet woke to find Romeo dead.

    Oh dear! If only they had discussed things..talked it over...just as you and Hitomi San did.
    Romeo loved Juliet so much he killed Paris in a jealous rage. He loved Juliet so much he feared of losing her.
    A deep and abiding love causes us to fear losing the one we love. A misunderstanding causes hurt, and at the same time we hurt the one we love.
    I am happy you were able to talk with Hitomi and reassure her of the innocence of comforting your friend in her moment of sadness. Poor Hitomi San. She loves you so much.
    You both have shown tremendous maturity and trust.
    Its important in a relationship that reassurances of one's love be stated continuously.
    We fear of losing the one we love and at times act impulsively. Hitomi San feared she had lost you to another, and reacted in a perfectly natural way. Romeo acted impulsively, and brought their love to a tragic end.

    Jazz San, you are such a kind and thoughtful person in responding to your friend's tears and I am sure Hitomi San now loves you even more than before.
    Hitomi San goes to her job full of confidence that your love for each other is strengthened.

    "Goodnight, goodnight!
    Parting is such sweet sorrow,
    That I shall say goodnight
    'till it be morrow".

    Thank you Jazz for a most inspiring insight.
    I like your last line.
    So very true.

  2. Jazz, lest you not forget what you bring into your relationship. you bring a wonderful heart and an understanding of life that few are blind to. you have a way of smoothing out the wrinkles in life's fabric and getting others to understand. you my wonderful friend fail to see the beauty that is within you. you are one of the few that transcends the physical, you are at the spiritual level in life so many never attain.

    Hitomi has a special prize in you and I think she sees that Jazz. you have talked to me about trust on a few occasions and how how others with devious plans will try and drive a wedge between you and the other...trust in your armour, enemies come in many guises, even the ones in our heads.

    love you my friend,
    Ron

  3. Honestly, I don't regret losing chat friends, actually there are 2 (him and her). I was glad to know what kind of mentality they have inside their brains. I have known him for just a year or 2, and yes, I accepted him as a friend cos he was nice and a Chinese like me. But after all what happened, I was happy to learn his bad attitude which also gave me a lesson not to trust him again. People have no right to choose friends for me not even him. I know, all his female friends were against me cos I am still talking to the guy they hate, but who cares? He is just using those females to get even with his enemy. I am this kind of person who just follow orders or just believe what people say. As for the other girl, I don't know what was her problem. She's always complaining about the book cover (painting from my profile) which we made before...haha.

    Building too much hatred deep inside will affect our daily routine, our emotion, like what I observed from him. Because of his anger and hatred to a certain guy, he's also diverting that hatred towards me. But I don't care, at least I know now that he's not a real friend and NOT to be trusted. A real friend is the one who will tell you that what you're doing is wrong. A real friend won't just keep quiet and let her/his friend hurt or insult innocent people. We have all that bad side in us, but giving a chance to someone who did wrong, won't hurt us that much.

    Well, I don't really care, sis. They're not important in my life, anyways. One thing more, they're NOT really my friends. What's important is, I have told them my reason for not taking his (and his female friends) side, and there were reasons why SOME of those females were not respected. We just don't know the truth, and it's not my damn business at all!

    Like what you always said to me "IT'S ONLY A CHAT"!

    My advice for them is to grow up and let it go. They're even much older than me!

    Thanks sis for not taking side, too. The other guy is our chat friend, he did nothing wrong to us.

    Give my best regard to Hitomi. Great to know that both of you are doing fine.

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.