|
|
Life seems to be order and reason created in a universe that is composed of chaos. Is it perfect?
We humans with our ability to reason are not perfect although our continual trying to be deserves applause and encouragements. There are many "evils" in the world, some very great and some quite minor and all are of levels or intensities reasoned by our own judgements, perception and understanding. We are not Gods and we do not know everything and cannot know everything, we move forward often by trial and error and often making mistakes. Some of the mistakes we make can hurt ourselves and hurt others too.
Forgiveness is something that perhaps cannot come easily to some. Some reason it that we should not forgive because we are the ones hurt by some transgression and it's unfair. Are we then so perfect that we need never ask another to forgive us?
Some people mix up their ability to forgive with a need to be right or worse, a need to seek justice or compensation or worse, a desire to seek revenge and retribution. Some even prefer to stay in pools of misery in some perverse sense of "I deserve this", which means nothing more to me than some twisted idea of forgiveness somehow being confused with religious interpretations.
For me forgiveness is not about any of that, in the first step it's about love and understanding and our own need to grow spiritually towards enlightenment. Please forgive my choice of words there because I made it sound like my own religious beliefs of Buddhist values but please try to see it from the philosophical and moral point of view. I believe that you cannot give to others what you do not give to yourself. We cannot give love if we hate ourselves, we cannot give happiness if we are sad and we cannot forgive others if we don't first forgive ourselves. From what I have said here it becomes apparent that forgiveness is healing.
Some people say "forgive and forget", never did I hear a phase so often said and by so many who do not realise the emptiness of those words. Yes forgiveness can be divine in the sense that we are a better person if we find that capability within us, but forget?
No.
We don't forget, we learn by those past things and try to understand from them, but we don't keep those misdeeds on some score card and bring them up during any future argument. By doing that we show we never really forgave them. Forgiving someone means letting go and not giving it the power to eat us inside like acid. The forgiven must also realise that to be forgiven does not validate whatever they did. They too can learn, but remember that in forgiving them does not bring back what was before.
The act of forgiving someone really isn't about them at all, it's about our selves. Yes they receive a benefit from us forgiving them but we are the ones freeing our own hearts from the constant pain given to us by the offense. What in the world can we be grateful for? There are many things to be grateful for. I am grateful to my wonderful parents for so many things I cannot count, to my family and my friends and my teachers who have come in many guises, my health and so many other things besides. I am also grateful for my ability to forgive.
I hope I can always walk forward on my path in life with my head held up because I know in my heart that unforgiven things will only hold me back. I cannot change what has been done in the past by myself or by my Grandparents and I am truly sorry for any act against you by myself or by my Grandfathers. I can only say that I learn from my past as we all should, but I do not live there. The past is done no matter what we hope or say. We cannot go back to undo misdeeds. The only power we have is 'now", it is in this moment that we shape our futures.
Regrets of the past only keep us in it.
Fear of the future prevents us from living today.
We all know someone who deserves forgiveness and we all know someone whom we ourselves should ask forgiveness from. Even after years have passed it is not too late to give it or ask it.
My hope here is that if you read this then you can become more understanding, more tolerant and grow spiritually.
Jazz, what a great message you have for us. I agree with you when you said that we should forgive but not forget. We always learn from our past. Forgetting our past is like not accepting the person we are today. It is from our past that we grow, learn and strive to become a better person. We should forgive but the misdeed and the pain inflicted on us by others should never be forgotten.
You said that the regrets of the past keeps us in it and the fear of the future prevents us from living today. I totally agree.
The past is a good friend, but it should be handled with care. Just like when driving, we keep our eyes focused in front on what is lying ahead of us but we also need to keep a constant glance on what is behind us just in case of any danger. But if we dwell too much on our past regrets, failures and successes then others will overtake us and we shall remain moored to the shores of history. Let us work on our present and move with hope, peace and joy towards our bright future.
I as your reader have certainly learned a great deal from your highly inspirational thoughts. As I grasp upon understanding and tolerance, I wish you all the best in life.
Let's forgive and be forgiven...
Tigger...
Anonymous
April 01, 2008 12:09 AMSpy, thanks for your reply, I appreciate both good and bad.
"Stupid" implies I am slow of mind or make decisions without intelligent or reasonable thought and I'm lacking the ability to understand.
Perhaps I have been in some stupid situations and under some conditions have acted stupidly, in fact I know I have. But all my wrongs of the past make me who I am today because I really hope that I have learned from them. Perhaps I'm also stupid for not deleting your comment, but you didn't use bad language and you are entitled to your opinions.
"Stuck up"? Does that mean I'm proud? If so, then yes I am proud. I'm proud of my achievements and those of my family and friends. If that kind of pride is a sin, then I'm sorry and I'm guilty as you charge me of it.
Forgiving! If I may take your second point first.
Forgiving insulting remarks is easy compared to some things people can do. For example it is easy for me to forgive you for your remarks to me. Hiding yourself behind anonymity stops me knowing who you are, but if I have offended you at any time, then I'm sorry.
Forgiving killers? I admit that is hard. I know that if someone killed someone close to me, that a rage and desire for revenge would well up inside me like a storm to be unleashed. I am human and it's natural to have such feelings.
I also admit that in the 'heat of the moment' it would be one of the most the hardest of things to do. But after that heat cools, if we can search the depths of our souls and find forgiveness, then does that offer a testament of some description to our character?
Perhaps some only see that as weak, or soft or cowardly but not to me. I think that finding forgiveness takes a greater strength.
Perhaps everyone has an idea of what is right and what is wrong and what can be forgiven and what cannot. Those things are really in the way we see and understand the world we live in. If you were victimised as a child and never forgiven, perhaps that's how you cannot find that today when others ask it from you?
Look deep into yourself and find your own strengths.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr Tigger, thank you for your reply.
It seems you understand the world in a similar way to how I see it.
I like your 'driving' metaphor.
Thank you for your good wishes and know you have mine also.
Jazz
April 01, 2008 4:10 AMDearest Jazz,
Thank you.
Peace be with you when the storms of life rage all around.
Love,
Ron
Smiling Pig ©
April 01, 2008 2:17 PMA very deep insight into forgiveness Jazz; it sounds similar to Christian forgivenes. I guess theree are many similarities between different religions/beliefs.
If we do not forgive, it will make us a bitter inside and full of hate.
That 'spy' should grow up and reveal who he is and not hide like a coward, and also learn to forgive.
quietman
April 01, 2008 11:33 PM