Never Alone!

It has been four days since I said goodbye to her on Sunday morning and if I were to count the remaining time I would have to say 67 days more! But I am not counting.

Celine Dion - Al
She like I, will concentrate on work and perhaps we will not give attention to the slowly expanding vacuum inside our hearts that screams for attention and creates the desire within like a thirst demanding to be quenched. "Alone" is just a word used to describe a feeling but it relies on you knowing the word and associating it to the same feeling you have felt, more than that the word just becomes a whisper on the breeze or a splash of ink on the canvas. It is just a word, but the feeling it relates to is a tangible thing, like a shell that would dare to envelop you and try to hold you at a distant and remote place. Sometimes the solitude is desired to enable us to write or as we bravely say, "to find ourselves". But often it plays a large presence in George Orwell's room 101, a room said to contain everyone's fears and it is represented well by the sudden and unique silence after the music ends.

For some poor souls loneliness had become like a shield and in this land where the sun begins, they have withdrawn to the darkness and seclusion of their rooms and closed their doors and the blinds on the sun. These hikikomori (social hermits) perhaps find that the only way to reach out now is chat room and social websites like 'Facebook', 'Myspace' and 'Mixi.' These have become their only contact? What loneliness is greater that that of distrust? To be shunned or declared an outcast is perhaps understandable to some point but this self imposed loneliness has perhaps become a fear that as they try to escape from others and even escape from themselves, they fear the direct presence of others just because the eyes of these strangers will reflect the pain they feel in themselves! A vision none us wants to see.

This loneliness is a disease that none of us should suffer greater than that of a momentary melancholic mood. In simplistic terms, the cure becomes self evident in that those so alone could reach out for each other. A great pity that life is never so simple and we over complicate everything with many levelled layers of reasoning, social politics and other abstractions.

The first understanding should be truth.
This is me and I know who I am. If I show you who I am then you might not like me, but if you do like me, then at least you will like me for the real me and like me for the good things you hopefully see in me and also try to forgive the bad things you may see.
I am like you in so many ways. I have hopes and dreams and ambitions and expectations. But I also have moods and faults and am a complete human with the full range of "Jekyll and the Hyde" attributes. I'm not perfect and I don't claim to be. If not being lonely just means stepping outside, slowly learning to trust and after a time allowing some of whom you meet to come a little closer, then we should start now no matter how daunting it seems.

I hope you have all been alone once in your lives just to know how such a tragic emptiness it is. A prolonged loneliness will whither our hearts as they find no other heart to know and our minds will close down hearing nothing but echoes of our own lonely memories. The death of inspiration and creativity. Knowing this then you could bring a smile to a lonely person and in beginning to know them you will find that you are no longer alone either.

I wish you all lives of good family, comradeship, really good friends and of course love.

7 comments :: Never Alone!

  1. Ron, I was talking to you. In fact I talked to everyone who has ever been lonely. Finding ourself is key. Because if we don't know ourself, how can others know us? Perhaps the road is long Ron, but each step is a measured progress. What is left behind you is never nothing, at the very least it is the journey that brought you here today. Thank you for the kind comment, but my words were just a pointing finger. You looked and you saw your own truth.

    Sashi San, 1200 years pass and her poem means today as it did then. The sun has risen many times since then and still it shines on the smiles and tears of all of us.

    You do not come
    On this moonless night.
    I wake wanting you.
    My breasts heave and blaze.
    My heart burns up.

    **ONO NO KOMACHI** gave simple truth and feeling to poems. Yes my friend, 4 days can be a moment or an eternity. Each passing day takes me further from the goodbye, but brings me closer to the hello! Thank you!

  2. While, waiting for you,
    My heart is filled with longing,
    The Autumn wind blows-
    As if it were you-
    Swaying the bamboo blinds of my door.

    This was written by Princess Nukada who yearned for the Emperor Tenji.
    The Manyoshu is filled with romantic utterances of a pained, and lonely heart. For example how can this not move one to know of love..of passive love crying out from afar, "She dwells so deep in me".

    The first 4 days are the lonliest. The last 4 days are the longest.

  3. Jazz, Why for some reason I felt as if you were talking to me? As I have stated so many times, just wait, she will know when you need her help. The angst of loneliness and the deafening silence is no stranger to me. I felt it for many years. I have found that when you have withdrawn into the "self imposed shell" it is hard to pull yourself out of it. One finds some sort of comfort they have created for themselves there, a buffer against the reasons why they put themselves there to begin with. To me it is more than a trust issue that I found myself there, a loss or the loss it seemed that could not be replaced. Unlike others, I did not find myself reaching out, but yet reaching within to try and justify this world I was creating for myself. The ineptness I felt as I sank deeper into that abyss and the lack of control I felt when I tried to pull myself out of it. More over I was starting to let my fears control me. To this day I still have those issues of fear, fear of acceptance of loss. I have reached out once since then and over time and a persistent attitude that I seem to be gifted with her acceptance finally came. I felt as if I was in control of my life, my destiny again. But soon I found at that point of meeting those old nemesis returning, fighting for their governing position and slowly it seemed I was sinking back into that dark abyss.

    It has been a long slow road for me Jazz and everything I have planned, worked and dreamed of and for now hangs on this precarious position I find myself in. The move was made to help and put these fears behind me. A new life in a new land. A new start with someone I have come to love more than that breath that sustains us. Yet I find these fears follow me and haunt me to the point I almost welcome silence.

    It is more than words to me now. It is my conveyance, my emotional vehicle to set into words what it is I am feeling. Words attached to an emotion are more than words now. They are the beating of my heart.

    What I have left behind to be here means nothing to me now. All I have gained in life is nothing more to me than hollow accolades of one day passing into another. What I possess means nothing, what she is and means to me means everything.

    Thank you so much for your "words" today. They have given me insight of self and have given me food for thought as I think of what is important to me and in my life.

    Love,
    Ron

  4. I hope you find the love that overcomes loneliness, Sashi if you have not already done so.

    I think loneliness can fade as you get older and become more assured in yourself and also if you are happy with your work and have various interests/hobbies.

    However, lonelines also affects the very old when they have few friends and loved ones.

    I think loneliness is a warning from nature that we need other people and that that no man can be an island.

  5. Quiet...When I was living in Japan I lived alone. Every Friday night I went to my sisters' wine bar. It was in the city. I lived in the countryside. In my small fishing village I had many friends. There were many communal activities. Festivals to celebrate, clubs to belong to, visitors both adults and children to call at my home, and yet I was still lonely. Why? The most intrinsic ingredient was missing, human emotion...love if you will.
    Oh yes! I had love alright. The kind of love friends can give. I was never alone but yes, I was forever alone. And you are right. Life is strange.

  6. Life is strange.Sometimes when you are with people, you want to be alone.

    And then when you are alone, you want to be with people.

  7. Jazz San even I am alone I gain a lot from those 4 lines.

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.