My home life was under a lot of stress and pressure back then and my little escape from such tensions was to escape online into the cyber world. I had been a member of previous message boards, 'Access Denied' and 'Iscifistory' to name a couple of my favorites but they gradually underwent change or they were reaching the end of their natural life span. When 'Embracing dreams' came along with people I knew - of course I joined, there was fun to be had.
I think some of you who come here now were also members of those wonderful times. Sadly we lost one member, dear Uncle Skip and I think that was the saddest moment of the whole thing.
I wonder if you have any memories you'd like to share of 'ED' if you have any.
EDIT 062913: The link I created to Iscifi will not cement! It works as you test it but as soon as it is posted it becomes error 404. Therefore I create this image of how it appeared.
I used the way back machine online.

Has it really been 10 years? I suppose it has.
A lot could have happened in those years and a lot didn't. But all in all we shouldn't have any complaints. I loved the music you posted Momo and I loved the acromyn game. I loved greeting new members, having wonderful banter over a variety of topics but I think most of all I loved Dreamscape, a story that involved all of us.
keep embracing your Dreams Jazz
Garth
June 21, 2013 12:07 PMI thought of you yesterday. And of Skip. The US Supreme Court ruled that the federal government may not deny or diminish a legal, same-sex marriage recognized by a state.
Some time ago, you shared that you accepted that you and Hitomi, though together for life, wouldn't be legally recognized as married. Does it bother you, or are you really okay with it? I wish he'd lived to see this event. When Skip was born, interracial marriage was illegal, but it's been allowed for more than 40 years. Now, for less than 40 hours, same-sex marriage is federally permitted.
I thought of how there's no legal distinction between types of married couples now, like Skip and Doris, and you and Hitomi, and my wife and I, and wondered if Skip would have been amazed by this change.
What thoughts or encouragement would he have shared and what would you have said back?
-Phasmus
Phasmus
June 28, 2013 5:36 AMI will and I do Garth - I enjoyed being a part of it and of meeting interesting people, or at least the facets of themselves they turned net-side!
Being recognised in any form is important to us (unless you a spy or in disguise). People enjoy being married. Each can say this is my legal and recognised spouse. For those that take this as a granted - they may not consider it special - it just is!
The news from the USA and from Europe regarding gay marriage on equal footing with marriage between the genders is heart-warming indeed but to be perfectly blunt, I do not think that I will see it happen here in Japan in my lifetime. Call me a cynic but it is my belief.
I wear her ring and she has mine but it is not a legal binding and any ventures between us have to be business-like with contracts as well as our word of honor since we don't have any binding by marriage.
The most important thing for me is that we are a family unit, two daughters and two parents with a rich extended family. That is all I ever really wanted in life and what others would consider normal or decent is of no concern to me. Our children (and I say 'our' because Hitomi is as much a Mother to them as I am) get the best that we can offer them. As for Japanese law, it is a relic of feudal days long since past and any decent lawyer can show us the loopholes that we need to ensure our lives progress as bureaucratically as close to a family unit as possible.
When you talk of interracial marriage I think you are perhaps limiting your scope to your own nation. Although it is frowned upon by pure blood devotees most everywhere - these short sighted individuals know knowing of strength in gene pool diversity.
Your penultimate paragraph I find I cannot answer because it is too heavily Americanese (by way of speaking from USA re USA law changes)- I don't have much sense of change within America other than a detached news broadcast. I do not live it or breathe it - so sorry!
If Hitomi and I came to America and the great state of California married us, as soon as we landed back on Japanese soil we would both be re-issued our key certificates declaring us both as single women. It may work in USA and Europe but here same sex marriage is a no no. It would require a change in our very constitution (article 24 to be precise)and to show how utterly lightly it is taken. Same sex marriages were performed in Tokyo Disneyland - for fun only - they were not legally recognised.
How positively shallow!
Your last paragraph is harder still. Uncle Skip had over eighty years of experience and has seen many things and many changes. This allowed him to build a world model in his head with a much greater perspective than I could hope to have. I am sure he would have ignored any negativity and concentrate on the good things that change has brought.
My answers may have been quite shallow to him but he would still have praised me for them.
I wish he had lived just a little longer to see my babies come home. He would have been so happy for me, for us and that love would have filled him just a little more. He already had so much love and so much respect from so many.
I just wish I could have added to it.
Thanks for thinking of me Phasmus. You are very kind.
Momo
June 28, 2013 8:13 AMI think I joined near the end of Embracing Dreams after meeting you and April in China 1 of Yahoo Chat. I received a mixed welcome:).Embracing Dreams was where I first came across your fascinating blog and I always looked forward to reading it. I didn't get to know Skip well, but remember him to be a wise and gentle person.
I also recall discussing the merits of the England football team with Garth before the World Cup tournament which was held in Japan and South Korea.
P.H.Chan
July 08, 2013 4:59 AM