
The Last Battle
© Momo
a short story written by me in the first person.
© Momo
a short story written by me in the first person.
I stood quietly amongst the dark trees of this small forest on the edges of the town named Sekigahara. The moon was hidden from view behind the dark clouds, yet aware was I of their presence here in the undergrowth. There were four of them and they were masters of stealthy movement. Not a twig was disturbed by their careful passage. They spoke not to one another, but conveyed their thoughts to one another by gesture. Swiftly they moved from one place of concealment to another.
They reached out into the night with their senses honed to a fine peak. All was well, and a quick double wrist movement from the leader indicating to his companions to move was seen and they rapidly moved to their next cover as one. I had seen solders or raiding parties with much less skill than these men possessed. I was suitably impressed.
I could see them quite clearly as the glow of there body heat gave there presence away to me. Their caution was a necessary one as they had not the advantage that was mine to be able to see within the realms of heat. I looked about the forest. There was none of their enemy here within the trees.
I knelt down and took my flint and striker and gave flame to my torch. The flames greedily licked at the oil soaked wick and the light quickly cast back the edge of night. I was aware that they had heard me strike my flint and had turned to look toward my direction. With my torch now flaming brightly, I lit a second one from it. The four samurai were quickly and quietly backtracking. I held out my flaming torches to either side of me and speared them into the soft muddy floor of the forest. I stood still, framed in the flickering luminosity of the flames.
They had come close, but still remained outside of the circle of light. One took position in a bush and put arrow to bow and held me as his target.. It was almost laughable, but still I held there expertise in admiration. The leader was gesturing frantically to his comrade, go-speak-who?
The one who had received this gesture message stood, and vigilantly walked into my lit circle of this cold night.
He drew his sword and pointed it toward me, “Who you?” he demanded
I stayed my own sword in her scabbard
“I am Moriko of this, my forest, Sir” I announced sweeping my arm toward the trees
“Moriko? A woman’s name” he laughed
I removed my helmet and shook free my long hair to allow it to cascade about my shoulders
“You are a woman!” he declared, now seeing me clearer
He looked about him quickly to see if he were part of some trap, a miserable fate indeed and much dishonour for he that would be ensnared by a woman.
“I am, and I assure you that there is no one here, other than the five of us!” I asserted
He made a gesture with his free hand. I saw the hidden bowman re-quiver his arrow and he and the other two stood and also walked into my light.
“Why are you dressed as a warrior, lady of the forest?” the leader said as he approached.
“It is what I am, Sir” I answered
“And what business do you have here?” he continued
“Should I be so inclined to tell you, it would be simply to say that this is my home!”
I grew annoyed at his obvious lack of respect toward me as I had been polite in my answers to him.
“Perhaps she is a demon of the night, I know of no woman warrior my lord” the third man ventured
“A demon you say? And an insolent one at that! Because she claims this forest as her own, yet it is here in the lands of the high Lord Ieyasu.” He answered
The others bowed there heads upon hearing the name of there Shogun
He moved his hand to the handle of his sword. “Perhaps I should strike you down demon and make these lands a safer place for all to live in?” He threatened
“Perhaps it is I that should strike you down for your insults toward me!” I shouted, opening my robe so that he could see that I was also carrying my sword in my belt.
I rested my hand upon it
His eyes narrowed
I pushed my trailing leg further out behind me to drop into the correct stance and brought forward my elbow so as to swiftly draw my blade.
A minute passed in still silence, his men quietly awaiting a sign of what to do next.
He removed his hand from his own blade and used it to wipe his mouth.
“Ha! You have spirit girl” he laughed, rocking back his head in exaggerated joviality
“Girl?” I snarled back at him.
He stopped laughing and looked surprised at my reaction. ‘Girl’ would be his address to me if I were a mere peasant.
“My apologies honorable warrior” he said bowing ever so slightly to me
“Honorable Sir, I have not insulted you and have addressed you as my equal, yet you show me not even the basic courtesy until now” I informed him
“My apologies to you and your good name, my Lady Moriko” he bowed deeply
I stood from my defensive stance and returned his bow “Your apology is acceptable to me”
“So now we may be friends on this night, but we may be enemies on the rising sun” he said
“Why would you think this?” I asked
“As we have said, none of us have heard of a Lady warrior before, you must be of the camp of our enemy, Lord Mitsunari?”
“I am in not in the employ of either he or your Lord Ieyasu, what I tell you is true, I simply live here in this forest”
“Then your home will see a great battle within the next few days and as a warrior, you cannot stand alone, you must be of one or the other camp!”
“I have seen the armies of both sides amassing out on the plains to the west of this forest, no doubt to where you and your men were venturing this night to spy upon them perhaps?”
“Hmmmmm!” He nodded
It was obvious that he would not admit to me his reason for there being here in the forest, even if what I had said was true, for I may indeed be the spy he undoubtedly had considered me to be.
“So if we are to be friends on this night”, I asked of him, “You may introduce yourselves to me”
He bowed again, “Of course my Lady Miriko, I am Taro, humble samurai in the employ of his high Lord Ieyasu”
I returned his bow
“And these are my honorable brothers in arms, Kenji, Saburo and Shiro” he announced pointing to each in turn. I bowed my head to each as he named them in turn and they responded in kind.
“Come with me to my camp and let us stay off the annoyance of hunger”, I suggested, “I have wild fowl and a little wine I would gladly share with you”
“My Lord!” Shiro the bowman shook his head in suggested protest
Taro held up his hand, in gesture that he should still his tongue
“You are kind to us my Lady, lead on then and we will feast and tell tales of glorious battle”
I smiled and pulled free my torches from there muddy embrace of the earth. I threw one to Taro who plucked it from the air with ease, turned and led them toward the far side of the forest. We journeyed quickly toward the remote smell of freshly cooked wild fowl and the promise of tales of brave deeds spoken with relish over a shared jug of wine.
They reached out into the night with their senses honed to a fine peak. All was well, and a quick double wrist movement from the leader indicating to his companions to move was seen and they rapidly moved to their next cover as one. I had seen solders or raiding parties with much less skill than these men possessed. I was suitably impressed.
I could see them quite clearly as the glow of there body heat gave there presence away to me. Their caution was a necessary one as they had not the advantage that was mine to be able to see within the realms of heat. I looked about the forest. There was none of their enemy here within the trees.
I knelt down and took my flint and striker and gave flame to my torch. The flames greedily licked at the oil soaked wick and the light quickly cast back the edge of night. I was aware that they had heard me strike my flint and had turned to look toward my direction. With my torch now flaming brightly, I lit a second one from it. The four samurai were quickly and quietly backtracking. I held out my flaming torches to either side of me and speared them into the soft muddy floor of the forest. I stood still, framed in the flickering luminosity of the flames.
They had come close, but still remained outside of the circle of light. One took position in a bush and put arrow to bow and held me as his target.. It was almost laughable, but still I held there expertise in admiration. The leader was gesturing frantically to his comrade, go-speak-who?
The one who had received this gesture message stood, and vigilantly walked into my lit circle of this cold night.
He drew his sword and pointed it toward me, “Who you?” he demanded
I stayed my own sword in her scabbard
“I am Moriko of this, my forest, Sir” I announced sweeping my arm toward the trees
“Moriko? A woman’s name” he laughed
I removed my helmet and shook free my long hair to allow it to cascade about my shoulders
“You are a woman!” he declared, now seeing me clearer
He looked about him quickly to see if he were part of some trap, a miserable fate indeed and much dishonour for he that would be ensnared by a woman.
“I am, and I assure you that there is no one here, other than the five of us!” I asserted
He made a gesture with his free hand. I saw the hidden bowman re-quiver his arrow and he and the other two stood and also walked into my light.
“Why are you dressed as a warrior, lady of the forest?” the leader said as he approached.
“It is what I am, Sir” I answered
“And what business do you have here?” he continued
“Should I be so inclined to tell you, it would be simply to say that this is my home!”
I grew annoyed at his obvious lack of respect toward me as I had been polite in my answers to him.
“Perhaps she is a demon of the night, I know of no woman warrior my lord” the third man ventured
“A demon you say? And an insolent one at that! Because she claims this forest as her own, yet it is here in the lands of the high Lord Ieyasu.” He answered
The others bowed there heads upon hearing the name of there Shogun
He moved his hand to the handle of his sword. “Perhaps I should strike you down demon and make these lands a safer place for all to live in?” He threatened
“Perhaps it is I that should strike you down for your insults toward me!” I shouted, opening my robe so that he could see that I was also carrying my sword in my belt.
I rested my hand upon it
His eyes narrowed
I pushed my trailing leg further out behind me to drop into the correct stance and brought forward my elbow so as to swiftly draw my blade.
A minute passed in still silence, his men quietly awaiting a sign of what to do next.
He removed his hand from his own blade and used it to wipe his mouth.
“Ha! You have spirit girl” he laughed, rocking back his head in exaggerated joviality
“Girl?” I snarled back at him.
He stopped laughing and looked surprised at my reaction. ‘Girl’ would be his address to me if I were a mere peasant.
“My apologies honorable warrior” he said bowing ever so slightly to me
“Honorable Sir, I have not insulted you and have addressed you as my equal, yet you show me not even the basic courtesy until now” I informed him
“My apologies to you and your good name, my Lady Moriko” he bowed deeply
I stood from my defensive stance and returned his bow “Your apology is acceptable to me”
“So now we may be friends on this night, but we may be enemies on the rising sun” he said
“Why would you think this?” I asked
“As we have said, none of us have heard of a Lady warrior before, you must be of the camp of our enemy, Lord Mitsunari?”
“I am in not in the employ of either he or your Lord Ieyasu, what I tell you is true, I simply live here in this forest”
“Then your home will see a great battle within the next few days and as a warrior, you cannot stand alone, you must be of one or the other camp!”
“I have seen the armies of both sides amassing out on the plains to the west of this forest, no doubt to where you and your men were venturing this night to spy upon them perhaps?”
“Hmmmmm!” He nodded
It was obvious that he would not admit to me his reason for there being here in the forest, even if what I had said was true, for I may indeed be the spy he undoubtedly had considered me to be.
“So if we are to be friends on this night”, I asked of him, “You may introduce yourselves to me”
He bowed again, “Of course my Lady Miriko, I am Taro, humble samurai in the employ of his high Lord Ieyasu”
I returned his bow
“And these are my honorable brothers in arms, Kenji, Saburo and Shiro” he announced pointing to each in turn. I bowed my head to each as he named them in turn and they responded in kind.
“Come with me to my camp and let us stay off the annoyance of hunger”, I suggested, “I have wild fowl and a little wine I would gladly share with you”
“My Lord!” Shiro the bowman shook his head in suggested protest
Taro held up his hand, in gesture that he should still his tongue
“You are kind to us my Lady, lead on then and we will feast and tell tales of glorious battle”
I smiled and pulled free my torches from there muddy embrace of the earth. I threw one to Taro who plucked it from the air with ease, turned and led them toward the far side of the forest. We journeyed quickly toward the remote smell of freshly cooked wild fowl and the promise of tales of brave deeds spoken with relish over a shared jug of wine.

2 Dark encounter
| |

3 The Camp
“Look at them!” Shiro said to Kenji, “He walks with the lady as if he is intoxicated by her presence”
“Perhaps he is” Kenji conceded.
“We all walk with her to who can say to where and gone is our mission for this night!” he continued.
Saburo, the rearguard came closer to his two brothers
“Was our mission so important? I do feel a hunger and now I begin to smell the cooked fowl upon this night air” he interceded
“I smell nothing and you are all enchanted by her” Shiro accused his brothers. He shook his head and the three of them lapsed into silence as they trailed behind Taro and I.
“Your skill with the sword is impressive my Lady” Taro acknowledged
“Your skill with compliments is equally so my friend” I replied
He laughed quietly, “Tell me where you learned such skills?” he asked
“My sensei was Miyamoto Chikato of Tanabe” I answered
"Miyamoto?” Taro repeated and looked at me carefully
“The only Samurai family I know of with this name is Musashi Miyamoto, kensei!”
I looked at him openly. “Kensei? You believe him to be that good?”
“I have heard many tales of his skill, surely you cannot mean him!”
“You are correct. I do not mean him at all. I said Miyamoto Chikato, a relative of the man you speak of”
“That you did my Lady, although to my shame I have not heard tell of him, sorry!” he said, lowering his head.
“You do not offend me. He was a great swordsman, a true kensei! He no longer lives and his skill and spirit lives on now only within me. He was known only as a fisherman. Fame and fortune was not what he sought. Yet no truer masters of the sword have I ever known” I answered, “I as his only child was taught all that he knew”
“Now I understand” he said, nodding “He had no son to pass on his skills to!”
This statement required no answer, we journeyed on
We came upon a small clearing. The moon still shone her beauty upon us painting my little camp with her silver radiance.
“Please, come and sit. I will rekindle my fire and warm my cooked meats” I said to my companions and pointing to two large felled trees beside my embers upon which they could sit.
They sat willingly with expectation whilst I threw some tinder upon my embers and rekindled it. I blew gently at the infant flame and took satisfaction as it licked the tinder hungrily and grew to the fire we needed to stay back the icy chill of the pre-dawn. The flame brought appreciative smiles from all but the still frowning Shiro.
I moved back the foliage curtain to reveal my travel box and two full skins of wine. From my travel box I took five wooden cups and offered one to each of my guests and set my own aside. I then filled each in turn with wine from the first skin. They sat with wine in hand and waited. I raised my own cup
“To the glory of battles yet to be” I toasted
They stood and raised there cups
"The more water, the higher the boat!" Taro countered in a traditional Samurai toast
We emptied the cups to our toasts.
I refilled each again but not my own. I erected the spit over my fire and from my travel box, took my kills of the morning that I had already cooked and put them onto the spit to warm.
“Tell us a tale my good hostess” Saburo requested
I smiled.
“One evening a samurai was calmly eating his supper in a small inn, ignoring four flies which kept buzzing around him. Three Ronin came in and they looked enviously at the two magnificent swords which the man had fixed in his belt, for these weapons represented a small fortune. A look of intense satisfaction came over their faces as the man seemed to be defenseless and alone against the three of them. So sitting at a nearby table, they began to make fun of him in raised voices in the hope that he would be provoked into a duel. As the man remained completely indifferent to them, they got more and more insulting. So, slowly raising the chopsticks with which he had just eaten his rice, the samurai effortlessly struck each of the four flies in four quick, precise actions, after which he delicately put down the tools, and all without so much as glancing at the three Ronin. A heavy silence followed. The three Ronin looking at each other realized that before them was a man of formidable mastery. Frightened, they fled. It was only much later that they learned that this man who had so shrewdly spared them was called Miyamoto Musashi” I related as I gently turned the warming fowl.
They smiled as they drank and listened to my humble tale
Taro nodded “This is your relative of whom you tell” he said in a knowing fashion.
The others looked at him in surprise
Kenji looked back towards me, “You are of the family of MusashiMiyamoto?” he asked
“I am” I answered bowing my head
He quickly stood and bowed, “I am honoured by your association to us”
“Please, retake your seat and I will soon serve you” I answered accepting his compliment to my family name.
Shiro stood as his brother sat
“Onegai shimasu!” He requested, bowing
“Shiro, please sit, allow my lady to serve her meats” Taro demanded of his young brother, "This is not a time to practise."
“Shiro, I hunger also, let this wait” Kenji added
“It is well my friends” I nodded to my guests, “Allow our young companion an experience” I added.
I stopped turning my meats and stood. I gestured him away from the cooking area. He walked with me and bowed. He drew his sword slowly, letting me know that it was not drawn in anger.
I bowed and equally slowly, drew my own
Saburo had turned to see since Shiro and I stood facing each other behind his seated position.
He held his sword in the attack ready position, a two handed grasp at face height, blade pointing toward me. I took a defensive stance, knees bent and side on to him, my blade pointing up and held at my furthest shoulder.
Moment’s passes as he watched me, all was silent and still in the silvery radiance with just an occasional orange reflected from my fire.
I stood quite still. I was one with the sword, my eyes focused at infinity
The moments became a minute
I was aware that Kenji moved, but only to turn the meats so that they would not charcoal
Another minute passed
Suddenly, he lunged forward trying to strike at me in alternating diagonal downward slashes
I backtracked, parrying left and right.
He was trying to guide me to his rhythm, hoping to catch my guard down for when he would suddenly change tactic. My defence was perfect and my blade met his on each of his thrusts. Then it came. A right downward slash was a feint as he let go with his left hand and brought his blade horizontally to meet my neck. I dropped below its trajectory quickly and since he had moved in closer than his full extent, I kicked out at his shin and rolled away, placing my sword across my back as I did so in case he should strike me in my escape.
I stood as he whirled about to face me once more
I relaxed and held my sword in a single grasp, pointing toward his feet. A foolish stance on my part perhaps against one such as he, a strong and skilled opponent. But my kick at his shin was a contemptuous strike and he was a little angered by it. In true battle style he hit out at me furiously awaiting a single mistake on my part. His sword became a blur and my blocks were as response to his action, his body movement, yet my blade failed me not. Each strike of his was met and the rings of metal striking against metal sang to the forest as a woodpecker beating the trunk of the birch.
I could taste his emotion now. His frustration lay acid on my nostrils like soured goats milk and my clash, I sensed was coming to its end. His skill was magnificent. His only fault was that as I danced from his strikes he tended to over-reach with the hope of a cut to me.
Finally my close came. With an over reaching stab, I turned his blade with a single right hand grasp of mine and stepped inside twisting through one hundred and eighty degrees drawing one of my two sai from my belt as I did so. He was stood with his blade well past me and I was close to him with the tip of my sai on his throat.
We stood quite still as he realized his situation, his eyes staring intently into mine
“Thank you for the lesson” he uttered, “You are a worthy bearer of your name”
I bowed my head in acknowledgement.
“Now may we eat, Shiro?” Taro called out
He sheathed his sword and I did the same
“Please” I gestured for him to sit once more.
He re-took his seat and I thanked Kenji for turning the meats
I took them from the pole and offered one to each of my guests. They gratefully accepted, and after once more filling their cups, I sat to eat and drink with them.
“Perhaps he is” Kenji conceded.
“We all walk with her to who can say to where and gone is our mission for this night!” he continued.
Saburo, the rearguard came closer to his two brothers
“Was our mission so important? I do feel a hunger and now I begin to smell the cooked fowl upon this night air” he interceded
“I smell nothing and you are all enchanted by her” Shiro accused his brothers. He shook his head and the three of them lapsed into silence as they trailed behind Taro and I.
“Your skill with the sword is impressive my Lady” Taro acknowledged
“Your skill with compliments is equally so my friend” I replied
He laughed quietly, “Tell me where you learned such skills?” he asked
“My sensei was Miyamoto Chikato of Tanabe” I answered
"Miyamoto?” Taro repeated and looked at me carefully
“The only Samurai family I know of with this name is Musashi Miyamoto, kensei!”
I looked at him openly. “Kensei? You believe him to be that good?”
“I have heard many tales of his skill, surely you cannot mean him!”
“You are correct. I do not mean him at all. I said Miyamoto Chikato, a relative of the man you speak of”
“That you did my Lady, although to my shame I have not heard tell of him, sorry!” he said, lowering his head.
“You do not offend me. He was a great swordsman, a true kensei! He no longer lives and his skill and spirit lives on now only within me. He was known only as a fisherman. Fame and fortune was not what he sought. Yet no truer masters of the sword have I ever known” I answered, “I as his only child was taught all that he knew”
“Now I understand” he said, nodding “He had no son to pass on his skills to!”
This statement required no answer, we journeyed on
We came upon a small clearing. The moon still shone her beauty upon us painting my little camp with her silver radiance.
“Please, come and sit. I will rekindle my fire and warm my cooked meats” I said to my companions and pointing to two large felled trees beside my embers upon which they could sit.
They sat willingly with expectation whilst I threw some tinder upon my embers and rekindled it. I blew gently at the infant flame and took satisfaction as it licked the tinder hungrily and grew to the fire we needed to stay back the icy chill of the pre-dawn. The flame brought appreciative smiles from all but the still frowning Shiro.
I moved back the foliage curtain to reveal my travel box and two full skins of wine. From my travel box I took five wooden cups and offered one to each of my guests and set my own aside. I then filled each in turn with wine from the first skin. They sat with wine in hand and waited. I raised my own cup
“To the glory of battles yet to be” I toasted
They stood and raised there cups
"The more water, the higher the boat!" Taro countered in a traditional Samurai toast
We emptied the cups to our toasts.
I refilled each again but not my own. I erected the spit over my fire and from my travel box, took my kills of the morning that I had already cooked and put them onto the spit to warm.
“Tell us a tale my good hostess” Saburo requested
I smiled.
“One evening a samurai was calmly eating his supper in a small inn, ignoring four flies which kept buzzing around him. Three Ronin came in and they looked enviously at the two magnificent swords which the man had fixed in his belt, for these weapons represented a small fortune. A look of intense satisfaction came over their faces as the man seemed to be defenseless and alone against the three of them. So sitting at a nearby table, they began to make fun of him in raised voices in the hope that he would be provoked into a duel. As the man remained completely indifferent to them, they got more and more insulting. So, slowly raising the chopsticks with which he had just eaten his rice, the samurai effortlessly struck each of the four flies in four quick, precise actions, after which he delicately put down the tools, and all without so much as glancing at the three Ronin. A heavy silence followed. The three Ronin looking at each other realized that before them was a man of formidable mastery. Frightened, they fled. It was only much later that they learned that this man who had so shrewdly spared them was called Miyamoto Musashi” I related as I gently turned the warming fowl.
They smiled as they drank and listened to my humble tale
Taro nodded “This is your relative of whom you tell” he said in a knowing fashion.
The others looked at him in surprise
Kenji looked back towards me, “You are of the family of MusashiMiyamoto?” he asked
“I am” I answered bowing my head
He quickly stood and bowed, “I am honoured by your association to us”
“Please, retake your seat and I will soon serve you” I answered accepting his compliment to my family name.
Shiro stood as his brother sat
“Onegai shimasu!” He requested, bowing
“Shiro, please sit, allow my lady to serve her meats” Taro demanded of his young brother, "This is not a time to practise."
“Shiro, I hunger also, let this wait” Kenji added
“It is well my friends” I nodded to my guests, “Allow our young companion an experience” I added.
I stopped turning my meats and stood. I gestured him away from the cooking area. He walked with me and bowed. He drew his sword slowly, letting me know that it was not drawn in anger.
I bowed and equally slowly, drew my own
Saburo had turned to see since Shiro and I stood facing each other behind his seated position.
He held his sword in the attack ready position, a two handed grasp at face height, blade pointing toward me. I took a defensive stance, knees bent and side on to him, my blade pointing up and held at my furthest shoulder.
Moment’s passes as he watched me, all was silent and still in the silvery radiance with just an occasional orange reflected from my fire.
I stood quite still. I was one with the sword, my eyes focused at infinity
The moments became a minute
I was aware that Kenji moved, but only to turn the meats so that they would not charcoal
Another minute passed
Suddenly, he lunged forward trying to strike at me in alternating diagonal downward slashes
I backtracked, parrying left and right.
He was trying to guide me to his rhythm, hoping to catch my guard down for when he would suddenly change tactic. My defence was perfect and my blade met his on each of his thrusts. Then it came. A right downward slash was a feint as he let go with his left hand and brought his blade horizontally to meet my neck. I dropped below its trajectory quickly and since he had moved in closer than his full extent, I kicked out at his shin and rolled away, placing my sword across my back as I did so in case he should strike me in my escape.
I stood as he whirled about to face me once more
I relaxed and held my sword in a single grasp, pointing toward his feet. A foolish stance on my part perhaps against one such as he, a strong and skilled opponent. But my kick at his shin was a contemptuous strike and he was a little angered by it. In true battle style he hit out at me furiously awaiting a single mistake on my part. His sword became a blur and my blocks were as response to his action, his body movement, yet my blade failed me not. Each strike of his was met and the rings of metal striking against metal sang to the forest as a woodpecker beating the trunk of the birch.
I could taste his emotion now. His frustration lay acid on my nostrils like soured goats milk and my clash, I sensed was coming to its end. His skill was magnificent. His only fault was that as I danced from his strikes he tended to over-reach with the hope of a cut to me.
Finally my close came. With an over reaching stab, I turned his blade with a single right hand grasp of mine and stepped inside twisting through one hundred and eighty degrees drawing one of my two sai from my belt as I did so. He was stood with his blade well past me and I was close to him with the tip of my sai on his throat.
We stood quite still as he realized his situation, his eyes staring intently into mine
“Thank you for the lesson” he uttered, “You are a worthy bearer of your name”
I bowed my head in acknowledgement.
“Now may we eat, Shiro?” Taro called out
He sheathed his sword and I did the same
“Please” I gestured for him to sit once more.
He re-took his seat and I thanked Kenji for turning the meats
I took them from the pole and offered one to each of my guests. They gratefully accepted, and after once more filling their cups, I sat to eat and drink with them.

4 Dawning truth
“Tell us another tale my Lady” Taro asked raising his cup to me.
I nodded to him and wiped my mouth.
Precisely one year ago to the day he had lent 10 koku to a fisherman in a small coastal village, and today was the day the fisherman had promised he would repay the debt. The samurai arrived in the village at noon and upon inquiring at the fisherman's home he was told by the fisherman’s wife that he would find the man down at his boat working on his nets. Upon seeing the samurai approaching up the beach the fisherman threw himself to the ground and bowed his head to the sand. "Get up" said the samurai, "As agreed it has been one year and I have come to collect the money you owe me". "I have not forgotten my debt to you" said the fisherman, who now stood but with his head still bowed, "but it has been a very bad year for me and I regret that I do not have the money I owe you".
Upon hearing this, the samurai, who was not a man known for his patience, flushed with anger and quickly drew his sword, preparing to kill the fisherman then and there. "Why should I not simply slay you instead" shouted the samurai as he raised the deadly blade above his head. Fearing that his life was at and end and having nothing to lose the fisherman boldly spoke out. "For some time now I have been studying martial arts" he replied, "and one of the lessons that my master teaches, is never to strike when you are angry". "I beg you" said the fisherman, "give me one more year to pay you what I owe".
Thinking about what the fisherman had just said the samurai slowly lowered his sword. "Your master is wise" said the samurai, "as a student of the art of the sword I too have heard that lesson many times, but sometimes I get so angry I act without thinking". Putting away his sword the samurai spoke in a voice that was use to being obeyed. "You shall have another year to repay your debt to me" he said, "but when I return if you do not have all the money you owe me I shall not hesitate to take your life instead" and without another word he turned and walked away.
Having left the village later than he intended to it was already dark by the time the samurai arrived home. Seeing no lights on in the house he crept in quietly not wishing to wake the servants or his wife. As he entered his bed chamber he notice that there were two persons lying on his futon, one he recognized as his wife and the other from their clothing was unmistakeably another samurai.
Swiftly he drew his sword and as his anger quickly grew he moved in to slay them both. Just then, as he was about to strike, the fisherman's words came back to him, "never strike when you are angry". This time I shall follow the lesson he thought to himself, pausing he took a deep breath and tried to relax, so on purpose he made a loud noise. Hearing the sound both his wife and the stranger immediately woke up and when his wife had lit a candle he found himself face to face with his wife and his mother who had dressed up in his clothes and another set of swords.
"What is the meaning of this" he demanded, "I almost slew you both". His wife quickly explained that when he had not returned by night fall they decided to dress his mother up in his clothes so that in the event that an intruder entered the home they would be frightened off at the sight of a samurai in the house.
A that moment the samurai realized that his habit of "striking without thinking" had almost cost him the life of his wife and his mother. One year later the samurai again walked down the same beach towards the fisherman. After exchanging the proper formal greetings the fisherman said, "It has been an excellent year my Lord, here is all the money I owe you as promised, and with interest".
"Keep your money" replied the samurai, you do not know it, but your debt was paid to me long ago.
“A story that brings thoughts towards wisdom” said Taro, nodding in contemplation.
I smiled at his acknowledgement and rose to collect the now empty cups.
The small hours had passed with thirsts quenched, hungers quelled and the images of tales told still fresh in our minds.
Saburo appeared to be almost at the point of sleep. Taro was running the edge of his knife along his whetstone and Kenji played with a tiny necklace from his pocket, no doubt a token from his loved one.. As I packed things back to my travel box, I noted Shiro’s eyes upon me once more.
I stood and turned from my packing. “What is it?” I asked him through his distant, yet penetrating gaze.
My question seemed to draw him from remote thoughts and he refocused upon me rapidly.
“It occurs to me that perhaps you may be the witch of the forest after all!”
“I thought you above the tales of children”, I laughed
His aura was now showing signs of distress and was not as tranquil as were those the others.
But his question had aroused the interest of his brothers, Saburo’s eyes widened and the scrape of Taro’s blade became silent. Kenji put away his necklace.
The smile was lost from my mouth. This then was the time. The whole forest had become stilled and the faintest hint of a new dawn gently touched a distant horizon.
“My companions”, I began, with an air of resignation about me, for time was fast approaching for the truth to be known. “I am no witch, this I swear to you upon my family name”.
“Then why would I have the feeling of bewitchment upon me”, Shiro declared, “I feel the loss of reason as if I were a drunkard man lost in the night hours of a tavern”
“Do you not feel comfortable, here with me? Have I not made myself a good hostess?” I asked, appealing to him.
He stood quickly, so quickly that my hand moved to my sword,
“I do not deny that you have, but for what reason?” he shouted accusingly with his finger pointed towards me.
At this his three brothers also stood and he turned to them as if leading council.
“What of our mission this last night? Confounded and lost is it to the enjoyment of this witch?”
His question remained unanswered as he again turned to me.
“Or perhaps my Lady had a mission of her own?” he spat upon the floor.
His reasoning taking form in his head now that the acid words were spoken
“Perhaps Lord Mitsunari has this woman in his employ, to lead astray a party such as ours from achieving its objective” he affirmed from his own logic.
His brothers regarded him incredulously and they slowly looked to me as if in this accusation, I would confirm it.
“Is this the truth?” Kenji, the one always closest to Shiro, asked?
“This is not truth!” I angrily shouted. I realised my hand still rested upon my sword and removed it.
“If it please my Lady Moriko, do give us your truth, for my brother’s words awaken the sense in us all. It does feel as if we have slept whilst we walk.” Taro said.
“At the end of each day, the night will come, yet this does not disturb you for many times have you all seen it” I answered.
“My Lady, your words are as those of a Lady of the court, one versed in many writings, yet we struggle to understand their meaning.” Taro insisted.
“It is more bewitchment” Shiro accused. The red flashes streaking across his aura now.
This was not normal and I myself began to have doubts.
“Please be calm and I shall give you my final truth” I appealed to them.
I noted Taro’s hand of reassurance rest upon Shiro’s shoulder.
“More lies and deceit?” Shiro asked leeringly.
“Let us hear her words” Saburo insisted. The quietest of them still seeking truth, perhaps the humblest of them all was going to make himself heard to his brothers.
“I shall tell you one small tale and then ask what you will, for the new day is almost upon us and destinies will be revealed”
They sat once more, although Shiro was still reluctant.
“As a young girl”, I began, “I tended my sick mother whilst my Father, the fisherman, plied his trade to earn us money and food. But Mother's illness was deep and soon, after fighting to stay with us for so long, she was lost to us.
My Father was a master swordsman and taught me his skills since I had no brother who would carry on his techniques. The week after my twentieth birthday I was married to a neighbor’s son, also a fisherman and my life seemed complete. My sword was put away and I practised only in secret, for this was not the practise a young girl should have. One day a messenger arrived from our neighboring village and told us that bandits had ransacked them and stolen everything. Many had been killed in trying to protect themselves and they asked would any here join with them to end this bandit menace? Our men feared that our village may be next and so readily agreed that united, the two villages together may prevent this fate falling upon their own wives and children. So they set off to the hills that the bandits reputedly called home. A week later, three of our villagers, scarred with sign of battle, brought home my dead husband to me and with sad, defeated faces told me of his bravery. A week later my Father had still not returned. So I took my own sword from its hiding place and walked to the same hills alone but unafraid. I soon found where the battle had taken place with the bodies of both villagers and bandits still lay, broken, battered and lifeblood soaked into the land. After searching through familiar faces, I found my Fathers body. His lifeless body was surrounded by those murders that he had valiantly cut down. His sword was gone, stolen no doubt. But I was discovered. More bandits arrived perhaps to take any remaining spoils. I defended myself with all the skills I knew and killed four before someone shouted ‘wait!’
All backed away from me and stood quietly and as I looked around and beyond them, they all showed respect to the one who passed through them and towards me, it was he who had shouted his command. He walked up to me and regarded me in exacting detail.
“I am the leader here, a warrior with honor and you are a very desperate and lonely girl. Give me that sword and you may walk away from here, I give you my word.”
“You are a dirty bandit and a coward, your word means nothing to me. You are no warrior and any honor you may once have had now lies dead like these bodies!” I spat at him, indicating those who had just tasted my blade.
“Leave here, you stupid girl. I offer you one last chance or I will let my men have pleasure upon your body”. He shouted at me.
“I will not leave here, you have killed not only my husband but my Father too and I will claim my rightful vengeance!” I snapped back.
He drew his sword quickly and struck out at me. I quickly became aware that he possessed great skill with the sword, but he also soon realised my ability. We battled for many minutes and he with his skill at insults too. I finally became enraged and made a fatal mistake. The taste of vomit was bile acid in my mouth and tears in my eyes. The pain was intense and I looked down to see his blade in my stomach. I didn’t believe it, it was such a shock to me. Were all my lessons in vain? To lose this battle to one vermin such as him?
Shocked, I looked up to his eyes and believed that I saw the pure evil of demon spawn within them. His eyes were all I saw because the distance had become foggy and silent. He smiled and pushed his blade in deeper, coming close to me. I lost my sword from my almost limp hand and put my hands on his chest to repel him, but there was hardly any strength anymore. He took my chin with his other hand and kissed me as a lover would. But in that long fateful moment, in his small glory of defeating a woman with a sword, he made his mistake too. The small blade that I had concealed in my sleeve moved to my hand and with all my last effort I pushed it up under his chin, through his mouth and into his brain. It was the last thing he ever felt as he collapsed and fell backwards, his life gone As he did so, I fell too, still impaled upon his sword.
I saw the blue of the sky turning dark and the faceless shape of a bandit over me. A distant pain as I numbly felt him pull free the sword and after seemingly many years of quietness the sky and everything else turned black and I was lost in silence.”
I nodded to him and wiped my mouth.
Precisely one year ago to the day he had lent 10 koku to a fisherman in a small coastal village, and today was the day the fisherman had promised he would repay the debt. The samurai arrived in the village at noon and upon inquiring at the fisherman's home he was told by the fisherman’s wife that he would find the man down at his boat working on his nets. Upon seeing the samurai approaching up the beach the fisherman threw himself to the ground and bowed his head to the sand. "Get up" said the samurai, "As agreed it has been one year and I have come to collect the money you owe me". "I have not forgotten my debt to you" said the fisherman, who now stood but with his head still bowed, "but it has been a very bad year for me and I regret that I do not have the money I owe you".
Upon hearing this, the samurai, who was not a man known for his patience, flushed with anger and quickly drew his sword, preparing to kill the fisherman then and there. "Why should I not simply slay you instead" shouted the samurai as he raised the deadly blade above his head. Fearing that his life was at and end and having nothing to lose the fisherman boldly spoke out. "For some time now I have been studying martial arts" he replied, "and one of the lessons that my master teaches, is never to strike when you are angry". "I beg you" said the fisherman, "give me one more year to pay you what I owe".
Thinking about what the fisherman had just said the samurai slowly lowered his sword. "Your master is wise" said the samurai, "as a student of the art of the sword I too have heard that lesson many times, but sometimes I get so angry I act without thinking". Putting away his sword the samurai spoke in a voice that was use to being obeyed. "You shall have another year to repay your debt to me" he said, "but when I return if you do not have all the money you owe me I shall not hesitate to take your life instead" and without another word he turned and walked away.
Having left the village later than he intended to it was already dark by the time the samurai arrived home. Seeing no lights on in the house he crept in quietly not wishing to wake the servants or his wife. As he entered his bed chamber he notice that there were two persons lying on his futon, one he recognized as his wife and the other from their clothing was unmistakeably another samurai.
Swiftly he drew his sword and as his anger quickly grew he moved in to slay them both. Just then, as he was about to strike, the fisherman's words came back to him, "never strike when you are angry". This time I shall follow the lesson he thought to himself, pausing he took a deep breath and tried to relax, so on purpose he made a loud noise. Hearing the sound both his wife and the stranger immediately woke up and when his wife had lit a candle he found himself face to face with his wife and his mother who had dressed up in his clothes and another set of swords.
"What is the meaning of this" he demanded, "I almost slew you both". His wife quickly explained that when he had not returned by night fall they decided to dress his mother up in his clothes so that in the event that an intruder entered the home they would be frightened off at the sight of a samurai in the house.
A that moment the samurai realized that his habit of "striking without thinking" had almost cost him the life of his wife and his mother. One year later the samurai again walked down the same beach towards the fisherman. After exchanging the proper formal greetings the fisherman said, "It has been an excellent year my Lord, here is all the money I owe you as promised, and with interest".
"Keep your money" replied the samurai, you do not know it, but your debt was paid to me long ago.
“A story that brings thoughts towards wisdom” said Taro, nodding in contemplation.
I smiled at his acknowledgement and rose to collect the now empty cups.
The small hours had passed with thirsts quenched, hungers quelled and the images of tales told still fresh in our minds.
Saburo appeared to be almost at the point of sleep. Taro was running the edge of his knife along his whetstone and Kenji played with a tiny necklace from his pocket, no doubt a token from his loved one.. As I packed things back to my travel box, I noted Shiro’s eyes upon me once more.
I stood and turned from my packing. “What is it?” I asked him through his distant, yet penetrating gaze.
My question seemed to draw him from remote thoughts and he refocused upon me rapidly.
“It occurs to me that perhaps you may be the witch of the forest after all!”
“I thought you above the tales of children”, I laughed
His aura was now showing signs of distress and was not as tranquil as were those the others.
But his question had aroused the interest of his brothers, Saburo’s eyes widened and the scrape of Taro’s blade became silent. Kenji put away his necklace.
The smile was lost from my mouth. This then was the time. The whole forest had become stilled and the faintest hint of a new dawn gently touched a distant horizon.
“My companions”, I began, with an air of resignation about me, for time was fast approaching for the truth to be known. “I am no witch, this I swear to you upon my family name”.
“Then why would I have the feeling of bewitchment upon me”, Shiro declared, “I feel the loss of reason as if I were a drunkard man lost in the night hours of a tavern”
“Do you not feel comfortable, here with me? Have I not made myself a good hostess?” I asked, appealing to him.
He stood quickly, so quickly that my hand moved to my sword,
“I do not deny that you have, but for what reason?” he shouted accusingly with his finger pointed towards me.
At this his three brothers also stood and he turned to them as if leading council.
“What of our mission this last night? Confounded and lost is it to the enjoyment of this witch?”
His question remained unanswered as he again turned to me.
“Or perhaps my Lady had a mission of her own?” he spat upon the floor.
His reasoning taking form in his head now that the acid words were spoken
“Perhaps Lord Mitsunari has this woman in his employ, to lead astray a party such as ours from achieving its objective” he affirmed from his own logic.
His brothers regarded him incredulously and they slowly looked to me as if in this accusation, I would confirm it.
“Is this the truth?” Kenji, the one always closest to Shiro, asked?
“This is not truth!” I angrily shouted. I realised my hand still rested upon my sword and removed it.
“If it please my Lady Moriko, do give us your truth, for my brother’s words awaken the sense in us all. It does feel as if we have slept whilst we walk.” Taro said.
“At the end of each day, the night will come, yet this does not disturb you for many times have you all seen it” I answered.
“My Lady, your words are as those of a Lady of the court, one versed in many writings, yet we struggle to understand their meaning.” Taro insisted.
“It is more bewitchment” Shiro accused. The red flashes streaking across his aura now.
This was not normal and I myself began to have doubts.
“Please be calm and I shall give you my final truth” I appealed to them.
I noted Taro’s hand of reassurance rest upon Shiro’s shoulder.
“More lies and deceit?” Shiro asked leeringly.
“Let us hear her words” Saburo insisted. The quietest of them still seeking truth, perhaps the humblest of them all was going to make himself heard to his brothers.
“I shall tell you one small tale and then ask what you will, for the new day is almost upon us and destinies will be revealed”
They sat once more, although Shiro was still reluctant.
“As a young girl”, I began, “I tended my sick mother whilst my Father, the fisherman, plied his trade to earn us money and food. But Mother's illness was deep and soon, after fighting to stay with us for so long, she was lost to us.
My Father was a master swordsman and taught me his skills since I had no brother who would carry on his techniques. The week after my twentieth birthday I was married to a neighbor’s son, also a fisherman and my life seemed complete. My sword was put away and I practised only in secret, for this was not the practise a young girl should have. One day a messenger arrived from our neighboring village and told us that bandits had ransacked them and stolen everything. Many had been killed in trying to protect themselves and they asked would any here join with them to end this bandit menace? Our men feared that our village may be next and so readily agreed that united, the two villages together may prevent this fate falling upon their own wives and children. So they set off to the hills that the bandits reputedly called home. A week later, three of our villagers, scarred with sign of battle, brought home my dead husband to me and with sad, defeated faces told me of his bravery. A week later my Father had still not returned. So I took my own sword from its hiding place and walked to the same hills alone but unafraid. I soon found where the battle had taken place with the bodies of both villagers and bandits still lay, broken, battered and lifeblood soaked into the land. After searching through familiar faces, I found my Fathers body. His lifeless body was surrounded by those murders that he had valiantly cut down. His sword was gone, stolen no doubt. But I was discovered. More bandits arrived perhaps to take any remaining spoils. I defended myself with all the skills I knew and killed four before someone shouted ‘wait!’
All backed away from me and stood quietly and as I looked around and beyond them, they all showed respect to the one who passed through them and towards me, it was he who had shouted his command. He walked up to me and regarded me in exacting detail.
“I am the leader here, a warrior with honor and you are a very desperate and lonely girl. Give me that sword and you may walk away from here, I give you my word.”
“You are a dirty bandit and a coward, your word means nothing to me. You are no warrior and any honor you may once have had now lies dead like these bodies!” I spat at him, indicating those who had just tasted my blade.
“Leave here, you stupid girl. I offer you one last chance or I will let my men have pleasure upon your body”. He shouted at me.
“I will not leave here, you have killed not only my husband but my Father too and I will claim my rightful vengeance!” I snapped back.
He drew his sword quickly and struck out at me. I quickly became aware that he possessed great skill with the sword, but he also soon realised my ability. We battled for many minutes and he with his skill at insults too. I finally became enraged and made a fatal mistake. The taste of vomit was bile acid in my mouth and tears in my eyes. The pain was intense and I looked down to see his blade in my stomach. I didn’t believe it, it was such a shock to me. Were all my lessons in vain? To lose this battle to one vermin such as him?
Shocked, I looked up to his eyes and believed that I saw the pure evil of demon spawn within them. His eyes were all I saw because the distance had become foggy and silent. He smiled and pushed his blade in deeper, coming close to me. I lost my sword from my almost limp hand and put my hands on his chest to repel him, but there was hardly any strength anymore. He took my chin with his other hand and kissed me as a lover would. But in that long fateful moment, in his small glory of defeating a woman with a sword, he made his mistake too. The small blade that I had concealed in my sleeve moved to my hand and with all my last effort I pushed it up under his chin, through his mouth and into his brain. It was the last thing he ever felt as he collapsed and fell backwards, his life gone As he did so, I fell too, still impaled upon his sword.
I saw the blue of the sky turning dark and the faceless shape of a bandit over me. A distant pain as I numbly felt him pull free the sword and after seemingly many years of quietness the sky and everything else turned black and I was lost in silence.”

5 Final Dawn
“What nonsense is this?” demanded Shiro, rising from his seat on the felled tree of my encampment.
My arms, which had been animated within my storytelling, fell limply to my side as I regarded him with frustration.
“I have not yet concluded my tale and it will help you all to understand what your senses tell you is so wrong, please allow me then to finish!” I stated candidly although I felt the patience draining from me.
Taro stood also and tried once more to gently calm his brother.
“Are you telling us that you are no witch, but a ghost?” asked Saburo looking quite puzzled.
“What I am will become clear if I am allowed to continue” I answered almost with a shout.
There were open murmurings now, as if they were unruly children and not the warrior class. Shiro was resisting efforts by Taro to accept calmness and Saburo tried to assist Taro. Kenji once more reached for the necklace as if it were some talisman to ward off evil. Then finally, even he stood.
“What business would a ghost, if that’s what you are, have with us? We have never disrespected our fallen brethren or enemies.” he said.
“Time is short and I beg you let me finish, with the end of my tale, you will see the truth” I implored.
“Then continue my Lady, for I doubt you could place me any deeper in confusion than I already feel!” Kenji answered slowly shaking his head.
“This is no tale, but more the babbling of the insane” Shiro shouted, demanding to be heard above the noise.
“Let her continue!” Kenji said almost with resignation, “For I would want definition, if understanding will come, or we truly are in the presence of a witch who plays with our minds.”
He sat once more and all their eyes came to me.
“My eyes opened slowly” I continued, “I had wonderment that I saw the skies blue once more. I felt no pain yet knew that I had been fatally impaled upon the sword of the bandit leader. My hands moved instinctively to my stomach. I felt neither wetness of blood nor the openness of any wound. I sat up and looked down. There was no wound or tear in my robes whatsoever. I stood slowly and looked about me. It seemed the land had changed, the hills seemed different and there were people walking about me, toward me, yet none were laid dead as was the place that I myself had fallen.
“Moriko” someone called from behind me.
I turned and looked upon my Father as he walked toward me.
“Father!” I yelled and ran to embrace him.
He held me close for a moment then held me afar to look upon me.
I smiled at him. But I saw sadness in his eyes.
“What is it?” I asked
“I had hoped not to see you here, not before you had lived a long life” he replied softly.
“This place? Am I dead then?”
He smiled at me. “What is death? This is a first step in a continuing journey. Ask me no more, for I cannot tell, but there is one that will speak with you, come!”
Many questions would come to my mouth, but I would not speak them, I just followed my Father as he turned and walked along the unfamiliar hill. It was as if I had wings as we walked, for the usual effort of climbing a hill was not noticed by me yet it was noticeable to me by its absence.
We seemed to pass many trees and rocks and twists in the path in such a short time until finally I did see a castle reveal itself through the trees. As I looked about me, I noticed also the other people from earlier were also on this path, as if the castle was the destination for all.
As we arrived to the entrance, a man stood before us.
My Father spoke to him.
“May I present my daughter, Moriko.” He said bowing.
I bowed too.
The unspoken man said nothing but looked kindly upon me.
Father turned to me. “We will meet again” and with that walked towards the great castle, my eyes upon him as he walked away.
“What do you see before you?” The unnamed one asked interrupting my idle thoughts, his arm rose towards the castle.
“I see a great and magnificent castle. Surely it must belong to the Emperor.” I replied, bowing my head at the mention of the living God.
“No one sees it as you see it” he stated.
I looked upon him as if he were a wise man, or perhaps a drunkard.
He smiled as if he knew my thoughts and I did begin to wonder.
“And where are we now?” he continued.
“That Sir I do not know, I simply followed my Father to this place.” I replied.
“What of your wound?” he asked.
Again, I looked toward my abdomen for a moment and seeing no harm, I returned my eyes to his, “I have no explanation!”
“My child”, he said with a smile, “These are the halls of magnificence, it is the place for fallen warriors and you did fall in battle and with just cause and honor upon you. But I do not want you to enter just yet.” He said with his hand coming to rest upon my shoulder.
He turned me around so the castle was behind me. More confusion as if I dreamed as I saw that the path we had walked upon to this castle was no longer there, but had been replaced by the hills upon which my body still lay was there before me. I looked towards him again.
“There is much confusion as warriors make the transition from one place to the other and within that world you called your home there are many guides, I want you to be one also. Walk those bloodied battle fields and allow those fallen with honor, a chance at reflection. Allow them moments of stability before they enter these halls.” He asked of me.
“But I know nothing of this” I said to him.
“Just follow the path of your heart, if I thought not that you could, know that I would not have asked” he simply replied.
And with that, he faded along with the castle behind me.
I had not even blinked my eyes and yet I knew they were closed so suddenly. I opened them to see the blue skies again. I sat up, for again I was lying upon the hill where I had fallen. Death lay around me in the empty shells of the fallen. For in the distance I saw more bandits and they glowed as the spirit within them radiated its life to the sands of time. My own would was gone as if it had never been and the swords I wear now were upon me then. I knew then that I had not dreamed and that there, beyond the curtain of this reality, my Father and the fallen warriors waited.”
Taro stood suddenly, followed quickly by his brothers.
“If this tale is true, then the only reason you are here with us, is that we are dead?” he demanded of me.
They looked about themselves, at each other and back towards my silence.
“What were you doing before you saw me within my flaming torches.” I asked.
“Still she tries to trick us.” Shiro interceded.
“What matter, for the mission is lost to the night.” Kenji replied.
“I need not know what you were about”, I replied in a dismissive air, “All I ask is, before you saw me, was your journey without incident?”
Taro looked to Kenji and then back to me.
“We encountered what we thought to be a raiding party heading towards our own encampment.” He answered
“But we fought them off, killing perhaps nine of their number before they ran with fear.” Kenji added.
I nodded and thought for a moment.
“Do you recall the words of the Ronin that we encountered upon the journey to my camp here?”
They thought collectively for a moment
“One claimed he saw me die this night, last night!” Taro said with shock appearing on his face.
I nodded again and smiled for I could see what opened behind them.
“Then truth comes to you now and as it was, for it was always there for you to see.” I said gently. “Turn around and witness your destiny.”
They turned and saw as I saw. The dawning rays of the new sun burned away the trees in a cacophony of fire and be replaced by the path to a magnificent castle.
A samurai in red battle armour walked down the path towards us. He raised his hands and removed his fearsome mask and carried it in his hands. Within moments he was amongst us. I bowed.
“Father”, Taro cried in joy and also bowed before him. His brothers followed in their respect.
“My sons,” announced the red Samurai, “You have all made me proud. I could never have wished for better sons that what I see before me. Because of you all, our family name will be spoken of with pride in the stories of battle. Come with me now, for The Lady Moriko has laid clear your expectations.” He smiled.
“My lady” he said bowing his head to me in acknowledgement.
“My Lord” I said retuning his gesture.
He stepped back onto the path once more, his sons dutifully following.
“Shiro, my son,” he said suddenly, “You cannot follow us” he added, holding up his hand.
“But why Father?” He asked, “Have I not been as true as my brothers?”
“My son, you have never given me reason to doubt you and your name is as bold as that of your brothers, but your accomplishments are not done yet. Why it is that you alone have had doubts and did not follow the Lady Moriko as she led you to the change?” he questioned.
“I do not know Father, in honesty to you, I feel as though I have been led away from my path.” he answered.
“As indeed you have, for now is not your time to walk this path to the hallowed halls. Go back, know then what you must do and remember, as long as you still true to all I taught you. I will come to meet you on another dawn.”
Shiro bowed to his Father and brothers as they began to fade from view.
He stood for a moment, just staring at the sunbeams as they once more shone through forest trees.
He turned to me.
“What does this mean?” he asked of me.
“It means you must follow me.” I answered and turned and walked back into the forest gloom. He followed obediently and in silence. Whatever his thoughts he did not share.
We passed the twin oaks, with the disturbance of battle at their feet. Onward and past the place where still the holes of my flaming torches lay scarred in the mud and back along the trail where they had stealthily transversed this forest.
I stopped suddenly and as I did so, he saw what I saw.
“No!” he cried.
“Have courage and strength” I demanded of him.
Before us lay the empty and broken bodies of his brothers, killed in the battle with the raiding party. He looked to me and then walked forward to his brothers.
He knelt down and lifted the head of Taro onto his knee.
“I swear vengeance for this deed” he said to the unlistening ears of his dead brother.
I allowed him his moment of goodbye. I have felt it once so long ago and seen it since so many times.
I walked towards what looked like a few rags exposed from the overgrown grasses.
“Come, you must see this.” I said, pointing into the undergrowth.
He gently rested his brother and came to see.
As his gaze fell upon his own body lying there, I saw him disappear.
Once more the shell of Shiro glowed with radiance.
I knelt and touched his forehead gently and smiled as the glow within him grew stronger. I unfastened his belt and opened his tunic. I touched along the wound that the knife had left, missing his heart by a small fraction. The skin knitted together and healed under my touch until it became a scar.
“My gift to you Shiro, for when you wake, I will seem but a dream. Remember your vow and may you live long”. I whispered.
I refastened him and allowed myself a smile as the red from his aura had gone. Once more he was back on the path that fate had chosen for him. He was strong and would wake soon.
I turned and headed south. The rain began to fall which started turning the paths to mud again but the forest was thinning as I headed for my vantage point of the tree lined ridge that afforded a fair view over the plains of Sekigahara.
Once there, I looked and saw the soldiers of both sides almost ready to engage each other in battle. I had a lot of work to do this evening I thought to myself.
“My Lady Moriko” I heard and turned suddenly, my hand upon my sword.
The nameless one stood there, smiling.
The forest faded behind him at his beckoning gesture and once more I spied the castle in the distance behind him.
“Let this night have been your last battle. Eight hundred years is a long time. And it’s time to come home. Your Father waits, as do we all.”
He reached and took my hand and together we stepped onto the path to the magnificent castle.
My arms, which had been animated within my storytelling, fell limply to my side as I regarded him with frustration.
“I have not yet concluded my tale and it will help you all to understand what your senses tell you is so wrong, please allow me then to finish!” I stated candidly although I felt the patience draining from me.
Taro stood also and tried once more to gently calm his brother.
“Are you telling us that you are no witch, but a ghost?” asked Saburo looking quite puzzled.
“What I am will become clear if I am allowed to continue” I answered almost with a shout.
There were open murmurings now, as if they were unruly children and not the warrior class. Shiro was resisting efforts by Taro to accept calmness and Saburo tried to assist Taro. Kenji once more reached for the necklace as if it were some talisman to ward off evil. Then finally, even he stood.
“What business would a ghost, if that’s what you are, have with us? We have never disrespected our fallen brethren or enemies.” he said.
“Time is short and I beg you let me finish, with the end of my tale, you will see the truth” I implored.
“Then continue my Lady, for I doubt you could place me any deeper in confusion than I already feel!” Kenji answered slowly shaking his head.
“This is no tale, but more the babbling of the insane” Shiro shouted, demanding to be heard above the noise.
“Let her continue!” Kenji said almost with resignation, “For I would want definition, if understanding will come, or we truly are in the presence of a witch who plays with our minds.”
He sat once more and all their eyes came to me.
“My eyes opened slowly” I continued, “I had wonderment that I saw the skies blue once more. I felt no pain yet knew that I had been fatally impaled upon the sword of the bandit leader. My hands moved instinctively to my stomach. I felt neither wetness of blood nor the openness of any wound. I sat up and looked down. There was no wound or tear in my robes whatsoever. I stood slowly and looked about me. It seemed the land had changed, the hills seemed different and there were people walking about me, toward me, yet none were laid dead as was the place that I myself had fallen.
“Moriko” someone called from behind me.
I turned and looked upon my Father as he walked toward me.
“Father!” I yelled and ran to embrace him.
He held me close for a moment then held me afar to look upon me.
I smiled at him. But I saw sadness in his eyes.
“What is it?” I asked
“I had hoped not to see you here, not before you had lived a long life” he replied softly.
“This place? Am I dead then?”
He smiled at me. “What is death? This is a first step in a continuing journey. Ask me no more, for I cannot tell, but there is one that will speak with you, come!”
Many questions would come to my mouth, but I would not speak them, I just followed my Father as he turned and walked along the unfamiliar hill. It was as if I had wings as we walked, for the usual effort of climbing a hill was not noticed by me yet it was noticeable to me by its absence.
We seemed to pass many trees and rocks and twists in the path in such a short time until finally I did see a castle reveal itself through the trees. As I looked about me, I noticed also the other people from earlier were also on this path, as if the castle was the destination for all.
As we arrived to the entrance, a man stood before us.
My Father spoke to him.
“May I present my daughter, Moriko.” He said bowing.
I bowed too.
The unspoken man said nothing but looked kindly upon me.
Father turned to me. “We will meet again” and with that walked towards the great castle, my eyes upon him as he walked away.
“What do you see before you?” The unnamed one asked interrupting my idle thoughts, his arm rose towards the castle.
“I see a great and magnificent castle. Surely it must belong to the Emperor.” I replied, bowing my head at the mention of the living God.
“No one sees it as you see it” he stated.
I looked upon him as if he were a wise man, or perhaps a drunkard.
He smiled as if he knew my thoughts and I did begin to wonder.
“And where are we now?” he continued.
“That Sir I do not know, I simply followed my Father to this place.” I replied.
“What of your wound?” he asked.
Again, I looked toward my abdomen for a moment and seeing no harm, I returned my eyes to his, “I have no explanation!”
“My child”, he said with a smile, “These are the halls of magnificence, it is the place for fallen warriors and you did fall in battle and with just cause and honor upon you. But I do not want you to enter just yet.” He said with his hand coming to rest upon my shoulder.
He turned me around so the castle was behind me. More confusion as if I dreamed as I saw that the path we had walked upon to this castle was no longer there, but had been replaced by the hills upon which my body still lay was there before me. I looked towards him again.
“There is much confusion as warriors make the transition from one place to the other and within that world you called your home there are many guides, I want you to be one also. Walk those bloodied battle fields and allow those fallen with honor, a chance at reflection. Allow them moments of stability before they enter these halls.” He asked of me.
“But I know nothing of this” I said to him.
“Just follow the path of your heart, if I thought not that you could, know that I would not have asked” he simply replied.
And with that, he faded along with the castle behind me.
I had not even blinked my eyes and yet I knew they were closed so suddenly. I opened them to see the blue skies again. I sat up, for again I was lying upon the hill where I had fallen. Death lay around me in the empty shells of the fallen. For in the distance I saw more bandits and they glowed as the spirit within them radiated its life to the sands of time. My own would was gone as if it had never been and the swords I wear now were upon me then. I knew then that I had not dreamed and that there, beyond the curtain of this reality, my Father and the fallen warriors waited.”
Taro stood suddenly, followed quickly by his brothers.
“If this tale is true, then the only reason you are here with us, is that we are dead?” he demanded of me.
They looked about themselves, at each other and back towards my silence.
“What were you doing before you saw me within my flaming torches.” I asked.
“Still she tries to trick us.” Shiro interceded.
“What matter, for the mission is lost to the night.” Kenji replied.
“I need not know what you were about”, I replied in a dismissive air, “All I ask is, before you saw me, was your journey without incident?”
Taro looked to Kenji and then back to me.
“We encountered what we thought to be a raiding party heading towards our own encampment.” He answered
“But we fought them off, killing perhaps nine of their number before they ran with fear.” Kenji added.
I nodded and thought for a moment.
“Do you recall the words of the Ronin that we encountered upon the journey to my camp here?”
They thought collectively for a moment
“One claimed he saw me die this night, last night!” Taro said with shock appearing on his face.
I nodded again and smiled for I could see what opened behind them.
“Then truth comes to you now and as it was, for it was always there for you to see.” I said gently. “Turn around and witness your destiny.”
They turned and saw as I saw. The dawning rays of the new sun burned away the trees in a cacophony of fire and be replaced by the path to a magnificent castle.
A samurai in red battle armour walked down the path towards us. He raised his hands and removed his fearsome mask and carried it in his hands. Within moments he was amongst us. I bowed.
“Father”, Taro cried in joy and also bowed before him. His brothers followed in their respect.
“My sons,” announced the red Samurai, “You have all made me proud. I could never have wished for better sons that what I see before me. Because of you all, our family name will be spoken of with pride in the stories of battle. Come with me now, for The Lady Moriko has laid clear your expectations.” He smiled.
“My lady” he said bowing his head to me in acknowledgement.
“My Lord” I said retuning his gesture.
He stepped back onto the path once more, his sons dutifully following.
“Shiro, my son,” he said suddenly, “You cannot follow us” he added, holding up his hand.
“But why Father?” He asked, “Have I not been as true as my brothers?”
“My son, you have never given me reason to doubt you and your name is as bold as that of your brothers, but your accomplishments are not done yet. Why it is that you alone have had doubts and did not follow the Lady Moriko as she led you to the change?” he questioned.
“I do not know Father, in honesty to you, I feel as though I have been led away from my path.” he answered.
“As indeed you have, for now is not your time to walk this path to the hallowed halls. Go back, know then what you must do and remember, as long as you still true to all I taught you. I will come to meet you on another dawn.”
Shiro bowed to his Father and brothers as they began to fade from view.
He stood for a moment, just staring at the sunbeams as they once more shone through forest trees.
He turned to me.
“What does this mean?” he asked of me.
“It means you must follow me.” I answered and turned and walked back into the forest gloom. He followed obediently and in silence. Whatever his thoughts he did not share.
We passed the twin oaks, with the disturbance of battle at their feet. Onward and past the place where still the holes of my flaming torches lay scarred in the mud and back along the trail where they had stealthily transversed this forest.
I stopped suddenly and as I did so, he saw what I saw.
“No!” he cried.
“Have courage and strength” I demanded of him.
Before us lay the empty and broken bodies of his brothers, killed in the battle with the raiding party. He looked to me and then walked forward to his brothers.
He knelt down and lifted the head of Taro onto his knee.
“I swear vengeance for this deed” he said to the unlistening ears of his dead brother.
I allowed him his moment of goodbye. I have felt it once so long ago and seen it since so many times.
I walked towards what looked like a few rags exposed from the overgrown grasses.
“Come, you must see this.” I said, pointing into the undergrowth.
He gently rested his brother and came to see.
As his gaze fell upon his own body lying there, I saw him disappear.
Once more the shell of Shiro glowed with radiance.
I knelt and touched his forehead gently and smiled as the glow within him grew stronger. I unfastened his belt and opened his tunic. I touched along the wound that the knife had left, missing his heart by a small fraction. The skin knitted together and healed under my touch until it became a scar.
“My gift to you Shiro, for when you wake, I will seem but a dream. Remember your vow and may you live long”. I whispered.
I refastened him and allowed myself a smile as the red from his aura had gone. Once more he was back on the path that fate had chosen for him. He was strong and would wake soon.
I turned and headed south. The rain began to fall which started turning the paths to mud again but the forest was thinning as I headed for my vantage point of the tree lined ridge that afforded a fair view over the plains of Sekigahara.
Once there, I looked and saw the soldiers of both sides almost ready to engage each other in battle. I had a lot of work to do this evening I thought to myself.
“My Lady Moriko” I heard and turned suddenly, my hand upon my sword.
The nameless one stood there, smiling.
The forest faded behind him at his beckoning gesture and once more I spied the castle in the distance behind him.
“Let this night have been your last battle. Eight hundred years is a long time. And it’s time to come home. Your Father waits, as do we all.”
He reached and took my hand and together we stepped onto the path to the magnificent castle.


I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend
To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average person. We make ourselves into one or the other.
Feeling important makes one heavy, clumsy and vain. To be a warrior one needs to be light and fluid.
The pen is mightier than the sword? Writing is the most demanding of callings, more harrowing than a warrior's, more lonely than a whaling captain's that, in essence, is the modern writer's message.
0 comments :: The Last Battle
Post a Comment
Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.