I recently had a conversation with someone on the net. There were points said on both sides that were agreed and disagreed upon and although the person(s) we spoke of were just two or three (well one really - un petit garcon), the conversation was a widespread topic that covers many individuals according to points of view of course.Criticism I can take and in my work I have had to face it. Not all of it nasty and some was even constructive. I talk to people who may ask what I thought of "someone" saying such a thing and I have always keep my replies as tempered. Tact, diplomacy and a smile can often go far and I would rather those things be associated with me than anger.
But once you’re anonymous who cares?
This is the major casualty. If people can abuse with no returned consequences then perhaps it is that temptation which overwhelms their normal sense of 'social etiquette'.
Chat sinks to acid and toxicity which becomes an accepted political climate. So normal it appears now and with such regularity that open hostility can pass for meaningful conversations. Worst offenders are young teens and early twenties. They have so little experience talking in the real world, that they haven’t understood the value of treating people civilly. They have not reached a level of life's maturity where making friends and finding a partner and even a job depend on what kind of person you are.
Are we really losing social skills? I talk to people from around this planet and each will tell me that the young teens today are bad compared to how we were. What then in 10-15 years more when they reach my age group. What will they say about the teens of that time?
This internet problem is made worse because the user sees nobody else physically. Being alone with a computer accentuates the"I am right" feeling. Our dream of a global village where we can talk to the world and share our differences just became the global ghetto where fools and intelligent fools at that, find more and more elaborate ways to spit on each other.
There is a saying: Don't suffer fools lightly.
It is foolish dealing with a fool
And for those that think me such ... well my picture here says it all!
Smile, have fun and try to do one nice thing and say one nice thing today. Someone may appreciate it.
Basing from my experiences in chatrooms, I did noticed that anonymity gives freedom to some people to speak freely, which can, at times result in rudeness.It is almost as if when they are anonymous, they feel they can take that extra liberty to be unkind towards others.
I would be lying if I said that I did not carry these impulses,(to be "incognito" and speak freely), but I do try to treat others with civility and respect even if I do not know them, mainly because to be mean and nasty, is not good for me in the long run.
:)
Anonymous
April 11, 2008 9:20 PMA woman after my own heart. I feel that way too at times. "Why bother?" comes to mind and in fact, I just don't bother with chat much.
There are some forums that I look at, geeky ones where the knowledge and intelligence of the guys is pretty high and I won't mention (slashdot) any names. Something is posted - differences of opinion are exchanged which is fine and then it all breaks down into abuse.
anyway Jazz, good entry and I'd abuse you nicely just to kiss your ......
Garth
April 11, 2008 9:20 PMwell said......
Smiling Pig
April 11, 2008 9:21 PMSis, like what you said in room "Family comes first". We protect our family first than friends from all those type of people such as your inspiration in this article. From my own observation, Internet world is worse than in real world. But I'm so lucky enough to have my family who will protect me in this virtual world whether it may lead to their own downfall (because of me) as what your inspiration told you. Thanks a lot to you sis and Garth for being with me always. I would have done the same or even risk my life for the people I love most.
It's just a chat, as what those people say! So, they can do or say anything against us. But why do they hurt a lot if we comment on their own actions? They got the dose of their own medicines!
Why did he clone others and blame it to someone while in fact, he's the one doing the dirty job?
Things they say don't bother me at all. I can do the same, but it's not worth it. I learned so much from you and Crow. We're here only for FUN not to collect friends. We're just lucky to meet nice people.
April Faith
April 11, 2008 9:21 PMUpdate:
The guy whom I really talk of here - my inspiration if you like, has sent me a private message on my 360. He does not have the courage to say anything here in public and I won't name names or re-produce what he says - that would be wrong of me.
But I will say that in it he attempts to explain his actions in a logical and precise and perhaps insular way and warns me that the way I act may lead to my own downfall at the hands of those I love most.He agrees one point with me, that there is a division of good and bad. The problem with that is our swords both point at others and our shields protect the ones our swords are pointing at.
I will not try to predict a future on such personal likes and dislikes - I will just simply say this:
When you walk in the rain you get wet, it matters not if you are Buddhist, Christian, Moslem, Japanese, French, Arab, Doctor, Cleaner or student.
Happy umbrella day.
Jazz
April 11, 2008 9:21 PM