It's been a difficult week for my brother.I have helped this week and I must admit that I am not used to physical labor work.
For the last few days we were moving things and emptying store rooms from the next door empty offices and had the wall knocked down making the kitchen of our restaurant bigger. We were closed to customers today and tomorrow in the first floor restaurant but the ground floor eatery stay open. The kitchen was dismantled and removed the cabinets and burners all gone and then the industrial cleaners made it like a clean empty shell.
It's strange to walk in the emptiness and sadly I feel a part of me has been taken away since that was Mother's kitchen once. I still feel her there sometimes, watching and smiling and that loving warmth she had. Hiro has done very well, he has kept many things the same way and perhaps that is why we have many regular customer even from Momma's days. People like familiar things and many compliment the meals that they are beautifully made and the same way that momma used to make them. He has her smile and her eyes and I am proud of him.
Things must progress and the new kitchen will be installed tomorrow after the electrics check and we are back to normal on Tuesday night all being well. They might even see me in a waitress uniform if they lucky ha ha. We are expecting a full evenings bookings on Tuesday and I look forward to getting back to normal here at home.
Don't forget a tip.
Quietman
April 11, 2008 9:29 PMJazz you speak so proudly of your family and rightly so. I admire the way you are giving support to your brother and your Mothers memory. If ever I am able to return home to Yamaguchi (I miss it very much) in the near future I would be happy to eat in your restaurant. I promise I will be good to the waitress in uniform. I miss Japanese food.
Sashi
April 11, 2008 9:29 PMWhat type of food sells well in your brother's restaurant, Jazz ? Seafood, noodles ?
Quietman
April 11, 2008 9:29 PMQuiet, that's a typical Chinese remark haha! But the real difference between our two nations is that in a Chinese restaurant you will put profit first. In Japan our customers happiness and our restaurants reputation is first, profit is second (wink)
Hiro sends you his fondest regards sis.
Jazz
April 11, 2008 9:31 PMNo tips - cool ! You can save money that way.
Quietman
April 11, 2008 9:31 PMQuiet, in Japan we don't tip.
Sashi
April 11, 2008 9:31 PMGreat! This will minimize your time in chat rooms, sis...hehehe...
I found out that moving(from one place to another) and redecorating will take a lot of time and energy. If all done and you're satisfied with the outcome, then you didn't regret the changes.
I'm sure the new atmosphere will attract more customers. Give my hugs to Hiro, please.
April Faith
April 11, 2008 9:31 PM