I must admit that quite often a topic may come up on our table that often sees everyone seated to have a lot to say about it and venture forth their strongly worded and highly emotionally charged opinions.
The topic that came up on Saturday night was just a simple phrase that was said to a girl who 'came out' and admitted to her family and friends that she was a lesbian.
Lock up your daughters!
Gays are not normal.
I wonder what your opinion on that would be.
Well I will agree that being gay isn't normal because by looking up many dictionaries worth of definitions of the word 'normal', I find that it's probably something that the majority do and it is of conforming to a standard set by this majority. By keeping to that standard, I can also say that vegetarianism is not normal since the majority of people do eat meat and fish. Heterosexual marriage across cultures and inter-racial marriage is also not normal since many marry within their own cultures and races. Am I being pedantic?
Well let me go all the way and say that since the majority of the world population are not Buddhists, then my religion is also not normal. And let's be totally silly and say that since the majority of people are not Doctors, then being a doctor is not normal! Perhaps now we can see that this statement "Lesbian and gay are not normal" can be seen in a different light by comparison to my parallel statements.
Yes I am being flippant with the definition of 'normal' but I still remain within its literal definition. So let's all celebrate the fact that Jazz, a confirmed lesbian, says that being a lesbian is not normal.
All you majority heterosexual's reading this now can clap your hands in glee and dance with delight at a hard fought for victory. It's still not going to change me, my girlfriend or millions of gay men and women all over the world.
I think one of the biggest problems is ourselves.
By that I mean in the way that we look out to the world and judge all those others that we see there by our own standards and values. The term "ethics" is that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions. Again this is all subject to interpretation and different cultures do tend to see things differently.
Let's take marriage as an example to put something under our microscope here. I would vote in favor of "gay marriage" and I would do so because I am gay. Many heterosexuals who are 'worldly wise and tolerant' would also perhaps vote in favor. Many others would vote against it simply because it abhors their religious or sociological point of view.
I found this page (link) on the net which appears to me to speak from a pulpit of moral indignation and constantly refers to "a definition of marriage." Well looking back it how flippant I was with the definition of 'normal', I would like to ask anyone is there a definition of marriage?
Of course there is if you again look to your dictionary. I have taken one definition and I find that perhaps most dictionaries are 'politically correct' and have added a sub paragraph for our 'modern world'.
My example:
–noun
1.
a.
the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.
b.
a similar institution involving partners of the same gender: gay marriage.
Looking around the world and peeking into different cultures then we tend to see many reasons for a marriage. Marriage is a human institution that has existed for Milena. It occurs in many forms such as temporary, permanent, monogamous or open, polygamous or polyandrous and with several more possible functions on top of that such as parenting, property rights, companionship, politics and possession. These are reasons enough that would perhaps push back the boundaries of a single definition of marriage into a multi-defined one. One perhaps the institution of marriage can evolve into the definition required by the society involved.
So if we are becoming more tolerant and marriage is evolving, why can't I marry Hitomi?
It is simple! We are not there yet and changes that are not forced upon us by necessity take a long time to come.
I do not have a sound argument to support lesbianism and homosexuality and neither can I think of a strong counter argument other than some individual's or groups indignant opinions. Is that a lack of imagination on my part or even bias?
You decide!

Of course you are not normal - you are unique.
P.H.Chan
December 18, 2010 10:22 AMHumans have this annoying habit of classifying everything into "buckets," creating ranges, and looking for deviation. It's the basis for our science - for surely we wouldn't be as advanced as we are without the scientific method.
The issue isn't really wether or not you fall within the standard deviation for sexual norms. You do. Homosexuality is, contrary to those who would say otherwise, normal.
Miss chatting with you - you will never be "normal" in my book and I can't give you a greater compliment than that.
Sparks
December 24, 2010 3:26 AMThanks QM, I love being unique!
My dear dear Ron (sparks)
It's been a long time since we were together in what I saw as a special little relationship. Life has really forged us in the fires since those days with losses and gains and a whole ensemble of emotions and experiences.
I wish you and your loved ones well.
Momo
December 27, 2010 8:58 AM