(As stated on the book cover)
It was a fairly quiet Friday afternoon with a gentle rain streaming down the windows as I cleared my desk for the very last time. I hold images of their smiles and of their large, sad, wet eyes burned into my soul. Inside I can feel the elation that comes with certain freedoms as my metaphorical chains are broken open. I also feel a little trepidation for an uncertain future despite my plans. I have some time before I start my new position at the end of the month. I held their cards close to my breast, that carried their well chosen and heartfelt good wishes and I received a beautiful pink floral farewell from everyone.
I handed in my Pass and had five minutes with Hana, the section editor, who wished me well before my final goodbye. I feel that I'm leaving behind a big part of me behind. Goodbye my little cozy desk behind the door. Goodbye my old coveted desk by the window. Goodbye you silly coffee machine that always burned me or poisoned me. But seriously, goodbye to an excellent company and the most wonderful colleagues I could have ever hoped to have had and sadly the end of my part within such a wonderful team. There was no replacement for me but that is the scheme of things. Mizuki and I will meet again we promised as we just held each other. Is it too early for champagne? We have coffee instead!
"FUN FINAL OFFICE MEMO"
After ___[1]___, I have decided to leave the company in order to ___[2]___. While this was not an easy decision for me, ___[3]___. I have ___[4]___ my time here and will ___[5]___. This company has been ___[6]___ and I will always ___[7]___. I look forward to ___[8]___ and wish you all ___[9]___. Until ___[10]___, I bid you all adieu.
[1]
a. careful considerationb. the flip of a well worn ancient coin which gives me doubts as to which is the flip side
c. searching for a way out of this madness
d. getting drunk on Russian Vodka
e. recovering from my bout of amnesia and remembering that I don't know the first thing about journalism
[2]
a. accept another positionb. pursue an modeling career – see me on the cover of the seediest magazines way up there on the top shelf
c. abandon this alter-ego and devote all my time to my super girl duties
d. live off the generosity of others (Daddy, clients and whoever fills my begging bowl)
e. be able to sleep at night
[3]
a. I feel it is the right oneb. the fortune teller assures me that she is never wrong
c. it wasn’t exactly rocket science either
d. it was easier than hanging around until somebody realized I wasn’t doing anything
e. stock options are hard to resist
[4]
a. thoroughly enjoyedb. cautiously endured
c. already forgotten most of
d. surfed the internet a lot during
e. miraculously survived
[5]
a. miss all of you I have come to knowb. never look back
c. remember the little people I crawled over on my way to the top
d. miss the freebies
e. eagerly await the tears of sorrow when you hear I am leaving
[6]
a. a great place to learn & practice my skills from some of the bestb. very punctual with my pay checks
c. a benevolent master to this obedient slave
d. by far the best company I’ve ever worked for
e. the source of my stress and ill health
[7]
a. value my experience hereb. be thankful that my work wasn't torn up
c. keep garlic and a crucifix nearby
d. think back fondly when sunbathing on a tropical beach
e. believe the children are our future
[8]
a. working with many of you in the futureb. getting out of here alive
c. retirement
d. the next series of the L-word
e. being the client (giggles)
[9]
a. the best of luck in your future endeavorsb. had for me a going away gift
c. would kiss me byebye
d. were coming with me
e. could appreciate how funny this memo is
[10]
a. our paths cross againb. I get fired and come begging for my job back
c. hell freezes over
d. the next firm-sponsored event with an open bar
e. I present my own fashion show
I have a moment to breath before the next chapter in my life begins. Next week I have a few more health checks and a day out with the agency.

Love and hugs you guys.


0 comments :: Freaky Friday
Post a Comment
Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.