It was hardly perceptible. It was just a hint of what lay out there in the darkness. I could not turn my head without causing sever discomfort and I'd been awake quite a while with my eyes staring at the reflections in the black window. Slowly I became aware of the hint of some semblance of shadow and silhouette out there in the darkness as the first hint of a dawn made its presence felt in the eastern sky. The buildings outside took form and shape and the now recognizable contours manifested themselves into the familiar corners of my little world.Why do I do this to myself?
The party at the Mars on Saturday night was fantastic and as the evening wore on, the lights went down and the drinks flowed freely and the sensual bodies moved with such fluidity and grace and they swayed mainly to the music but also to the rhythm of unchained souls and unbound carefree abandon. Living for the moment we were and to hell with tomorrow's judgments and consequences.
But come the morrow and I wake with regretful suffering.
I had to get up and use the bathroom and the effort of it all bearing the pain of over indulged toxins made each move a nightmare. I just wanted and needed the bliss of oblivion. I sat with my head slowly spinning and desperately seeking a position of comfort and then, just when I think it can't get any worse, the telephone starts to call. It's almost half past unreasonable and certainly its already thirty minutes past uncaring and I wondered why its shrill tones seem to have become louder and re-tuned itself to a resonant frequency of the human soul that sent such violent shivers throughout my being. I reached for my cotton wool pads, tore off some small pieces and stuffed some of it into my ears. The telephone finally seemed to call out at a reasonable volume and tone but still I ignored it.

Miss Laid (who's new nickname amongst her close friends is now 'Ume' (plum) for reasons undisclosed), called out my name as if by my not being in cuddle distance or jabbing range meant that I was close to the phone. She growled incomprehensible words at me but continued to sleep. I stand corrected regarding something I once said. I once told you that nothing seemed to wake her and she'd probably sleep through the next big one (Tokyo's long awaited next major earthquake). I guess I was wrong on that one.
I washed my hands and struggled back to bed and got into it very slowly and gingerly.
'Never again' I think to myself. At least not until the next time!
Finally I felt eased enough for sleep to once more overtake me and I slowly sank into the welcoming arms of Morpheus.
I awoke a few hours later to a soft and gentle creamy lipped kiss and the smell of hot coffee and warm croissants. Breakfast in bed was delicious. There was no jumping around or excited talk or nightdresses and pillow-fights because I think we were both still too sensitive for all of that absurdity but the slow and relaxed enjoyment of a lazy Sunday morning was heaven and certainly a welcome respite from the heavy pressures of my lethargic night.
And if anyone is the slightest bit curious.... then yes, I do dip my croissants into my latte!
This is my last week at the office and looking at my schedules and appointments it seems a relatively mild week but I could still do with a vacation.
0 comments :: Fashionably late
Post a Comment
Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.