With my head hung low I told him I didn't really know what my next step should be.
He put his coffee cup down on the cafe table and rested his hand on my shoulder.
"You look tired Momo." He said to me and I simply nodded. He was right, I had not been sleeping properly these last two weeks.
Hitomi is busy most of the day with studio business and I've been taking less and less translation work while the angels are on vacation. I have become the housewife, caring for the home and the children. I give both of my children assistance and encouragement in their vacation studies but Sumomo is falling behind with arithmetic. As her fourth grade came to an end her teacher spoke with me that she excels at most lessons and is a natural leader within class activities but she struggles with her arithmetic. She is well behind the class average on this subject and the fifth grade may present her more problems and compound the effects if she does not have a good foundation to build on. We bought the home study guides and drill books and all the material is easily achieved by them both except my eldest has trouble with mathematics.
She apologised to me and excused herself saying that she cannot be good at everything.
I told her that this is no excuse. It is not necessary to be good in everything but she must understand to a certain degree and obtain a certain level of competency.
Am I failing her as a Mother if I cannot help her? She promised to try but she has so much difficulty and I feel for her. She wants to please me but we go over the fractions again and again and the concept seems to elude her. Am I failing also as an instructor?
We watched the children climbing on the park frames as he ordered more hot drinks for us and more soda for the children. I told him that I am losing faith in my own ability as a teacher and I am considering hiring a private tutor.
"They can be expensive," he told me, "let me come and spend time with her and it will only cost you dinner each evening that I come."
"You'd do that for me?" I asked eyes wide.
"No Momo, I'll do it for her." He smiled.
I reached over to hold my cheek against his and to hold him close. He then spoke at length about how our friendship has taken a course like a river from mountain to sea, a river watched over by the God of misdirection but as water is wont, we continue to find our own natural levels. He then mentioned something about 'in another life...' but he checked himself. I hugged him and I whispered that I knew in his ear. He told me he feels confident that he can help her and since I really am struggling I am extremely grateful for his assistance. When school begins again I must send her to Juku, a school that helps students after normal school hours and also open on weekends. I must do what I can for her and not let her down.
My current reading is 'The pillow book of the flower Samurai' by Barbara Lazar. although I have not had the chance to read much these last few weeks with my house work, my little translation work, looking after the angels and assisting them in their studies, I do give myself forty minutes before I sleep. Hitomi helps when she comes home but she is quite tired too. A pillow book is an old name for personal diaries. The book was kept where a person slept. This book is set in 12th Century Japan and is the life of Kozaisho, the fifth daughter of a poor farmer who is sold for land so that he may feed his family. Her story takes her into learning the arts of storytelling, prostitution and the way of the Samurai. I am only half way through it as yet but already it has made me cry tears of pain and tears of joy.
Hitomi is the bunny.
She let me hold the camera and shoot her and I can tell you that this is not advisable. I fall over things while looking at the digital screen. I take pictures of the ceiling, my finger or my fames have her head cut off. Out of fifty exposures I have about fifteen that are passable.
San Usagi (click)


When I was a private tutor for primary school children for two years I often experienced a disappointment at teaching field. I was asking myself: "She/he still don't know that, don't remember that and cannot do simple exercise. How dare I to take money for my lessons if I cannot teach?". But the truth is that you cannot learn for your daugthers - they need to learn the school material, pass many tests and graduate. By themselves. You help the Angels as much as you can and I'm sure you're a perfect mother any child would like to have.
You are not a bad Mother or teacher. Please, don't blame yourself - I may have never seen you as a mother but I am sure you're wonderful, committed, understanding and smart as mom for your Angels. They're lucky to have you! I know you do your best to let your children have a perfect future and good grades are important but mother can't live for their children. Private lessons is a good idea - I'm glad you have a friend who is ready to help you with this problem - I hope everything will be fine soon.
Love,
Hugs&Kisses
Cherry
Anna
July 30, 2012 9:37 PMThank you little Cherry for such wonderful words. As Mother to the angels it is my responsibility to ensure that I give them my best efforts so that they will have the best possible start in their future. If there is something I cannot give and it is essential for them, I will find a way they can have.
Love n hugz
Peach
Momo
August 03, 2012 3:51 AM