People and places

The sands of time slowly pass by us and the world changes. Sometimes my heart yearns for places I knew intimately as a child but they are sadly no longer there. There are places my Mother knew and her Mother before her and now are lost in the continual building of glass and steel. We don't live long enough to see the stars change position in the skies and the maelstrom of the galaxy. But perhaps that is a kindness and I am not cursed with immortality. Imagine if I was? My love could spend all her life with me, but I would go on forever after her passing. It is the best plan of nature that the old gives way for the new and everything has its time and allotted span. Old buildings disappear and new ones replace them and we marvel at the feats of engineering and rejoice that we are living in a modern world, a world of wonders. One hundred years ago hanayashiki meant Flower park and this one in the image at Asakusa was perhaps the best in all of Tokyo. It was a beautiful, peaceful relaxing place where you could appreciate the beauty of nature in all her splendor with animals in a miniature zoo and a tea house and all kinds of entertainments to make the outing a wonderful and memorial one. Over the years the successive generations saw it change and it had its moments of fame. Then in the 1950's, my Momma's birth decade saw it become the amusement park that it is today. In fact the meaning of the word hanayashiki now means amusement park. This park opened in 1853, the same year that Commodore Perry and his black ships arrived. We have changed so much since then and so has the park. Some things can be preserved, some things find themselves becoming museum exhibits and everything else changes. You change, I change and most of the places that we know change. Perhaps over time our memories of those people and places change too? I still miss some people and some places.



Hitomi has been occupying my chair and my desk for so long that perhaps somebody placed glue on the seat as a joke. From the two of us, I am the one to know computers and I am the one that deals with online banking and email and even my work and article writing and power-point presentations and FTP. She is the one to enjoy a book or rehearse lines for a play. She sits by the window in her favorite chair and I sit at my desk on the computer. It has always been this way if we are together at home but not doing things together. Some time ago I asked her what she would do if she gave up acting and all her other venue appearances? Although she laughed and said perhaps a small job as a waitress or working in a clothing store, it really wasn't something that she had considered.


She is now taking tuition from School of Education at Waseda University in Shinjuku and decided on computer science. She is amazing and I am quite proud of her really. I know soon I will be asking her how to solve all my computer problems even if she wears her funny geek glasses. She needs to study her lessons online and practice with her programming techniques and so I have been moved to the chair by the window and have my cat's attention and the television for company. I hear her making provision for a possible career fall back and I hear her clicking her mouse and tapping the keys rather than clicking her heels and tapping the boards.
I also hear the news and my cat calling for her meal.
I really prefer a desk top computer & mouse, not the laptop & fingerboard!

4 comments :: People and places

  1. I hanker for the past too; I do not know why - maybe I am just getting old. I search on ebay for old postcards and for things from my childhood.

    It's interesting to see how things have changed over the years. Many of the old buildings look the same but the way people dress and the modes of transport have evolved much.

    Now Hitomi is learning about computers, she may discover your blog and even comment on it.

    Have a nice summer, jazz.

  2. I have constant nostalgic feelings. I have this intense feeling of wanting to go back to the place which raised me, the place where I had gone to school, the place where I had so many good friends and the place where most of my memories hold...

    I'm now hundreds of miles away and haven't been back there since I left in 2004. I'd love to see all the important and memorable places that hold a special space in my heart, how things have changed while I was gone, how my school mates are doing, how things have changed in their lives of people I know...

    It's sad to see a place so familiar and emotionally attached to me disappear over time. Those places may be old and dirty but in my heart, it remains forever pure and special.

    I enjoy the moment of flipping through my old photo albums , seeing how things have changed in my life and the people that surround me. It reminds me of the good old days which I dearly miss and the people that I was close to but are not here with me today. The flashback it gives sometimes puts a smile on my face and sometimes... it makes me shed a few drops of tears...

    As people say that time heals. Perhaps over time, the intense feelings and affection we have towards a place or somebody may gradually decline?

    It's not bad to have a change in company once in a while, and from my experience, T.V is not such a bad company! I have 2 cats, and it is always amusing seeing them playing and wrestling with each other.

    Have a nice weekend, Jazz and pass my regards to Hitomi.

    Tigger

  3. I used to be nostalgic about the past, but I have come to realize that not only have the physical aspects of my childhood disappeared, but also the time frame has been completely altered. Yes, I think of the times I spent with my grandfather, we were always close, but there is no sadness or longing attending these memories. Perhaps, over the years, I have come to realize that we are still spiritually bonded and that that bond will always remain.

    But I love your blogs lately; you give us such an intimate look into your life and and this intimacy makes all of us somehow feel special.

    May god, or budhha if you prefer, watch over you and Hitomi.

    Love, skip

  4. Nostalgia, that relates to age and the time that has lapsed between reality and thought. We all at times wish some things would never change, but change is inevitable just as birth and death. In our memories it will never change and maybe that is how it should be. The past is just that and we live in the present looking at tomorrow and what memories it will bring.

    Later...
    Ron

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.