Whether it's the old me or a brand new and revitalized me, that 'me' is back.
We have had a simply wonderful time leaving behind the cares of the day in a place far, far away.
We visited restaurants and the aquarium, a museum, even the beach at night but most of all we had the time to appreciate who we are and perhaps more importantly, who we are to each other. In a way I've been discovering my self, my need and I think it is a natural human need for self fulfilment. If we don't have it or don't know how to get it or we don't even know what it is that we want then this creates emptiness within.
In coming back from a 'lost place' it seems to signify that I now reside in a 'found' place. This fits nicely with my happiness factor since I really need to know who I am. Do you know who you are yet?
Ask that seemingly simple question and so many people will answer with their name or a title or a connection to the asker because the real answer is perhaps difficult and we don't truly know ourselves.
How about an answer such as, "Yeah, I'm me!"
It is very dismissive and so far from meaningful descriptors as to cause concern for the future of human understanding as a whole never mind the philosophical aspects.
Perhaps proof of who you are is nothing more than a passport or Identity card.
Who I am and who you are you is really a question that would baffle most people and if any of you think you can answer it, do so!
I start to think that the way to look it this is to regard the question with a philosophical eye. Strip it down to its simplest form as if composing proof theorems in math and no sooner than I write this then the thought that in taking away that something to leave the bare components then perhaps I remove a part of the very essence of it. Perhaps even in regarding it, it may abide by the quantum rule-book and be in effect changed.
At the base level I could say that if self fulfilment is my goal then what on Earth can make me happy?
Can my happiness come from doing the right thing? Can it come from living and dying for a value that can transcend me?
Are my values created by my choices in life or do my choices create my values in life?
Are lives made up of a series of experiences or a series of distractions with the occasion taste of happiness?
I think we have a tendency to dress up the true but crude and base nature of ourselves in nice, fancy and decorative words with scientific emphasis to coldly and analytically make or describe something about us more than rather simple biological programmed animals that we are. Yes of course love makes us happy but why does it, because you do something magnanimous, charitable, considerate or benevolent? Shall we declare to the world how wonderful we are because we are loved and love in return? Or is it simply because of the way it makes us feel inside? She loves me so I am worthy and I am validated as someone worth loving.
Aristotle did say that "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence" and yet what is it in love relationships that make us happy?
Nietzsche's 'last men' seem to find it in their pitiable comforts, a rather condemning view of our small and vulgar pleasures.
Pleasures are from our feelings and the feelings that we experience can give us happiness and happiness then is a sign that for a moment at least, we are fulfilled.
In the first image I gave it a title from a Robert Heinlein quote in that "Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." and it sounds wonderful. It is the essence of poetry across cultures and languages and it is the flavor of love songs in my collection and yet saying that people love others not for who they are but for how they make themselves feel inside still seems to ring true. Why would we value that person and love them to the point of making their survival more important than our own if there was not some benefit to us.
Pleasures are from our feelings and the feelings that we experience can give us happiness and happiness then is a sign that for a moment at least, we are fulfilled.Perhaps my reason is flawed or cynical but as reasonable beings it's a fair comment to say that pure love does produce pure nonsense and reason and cold hard logic flies out of the window to be replaced by sweet honey laced words, weak knees and making eyes at each other.
Happiness in other things outside of love is beyond my little thought for this post. In these things happiness is tied to goals and ambitions rather than placed upon others.
I feel happy and the people in my life contribute a lot to that. If I was suddenly alone on a deserted island and even if I had all my survival needs for my life time present with me on that island, I don't believe I could be as happy as I am and have been. I don't embellish the past into be something more than it was and I don't look at today in a bad light. I just know that I need people, these people in my life to make me happy.
Right now I feel happy and I will make eyes at her.







Welcome back Jazz. Everyone need a vacation. I need a vacation too. I am going to a ship next month and need to relax. You take care and relax. Always smile Jazz. Seeing you smile make my bad things goes away and your bad things goes away.
Love.
Patrick
Patrick
June 02, 2009 12:41 PMThanks Jazz
Now I've truly been pulled away from the special place of believing that I was someone created in the image of the mightiest being in the universe and found that I crawled out of the muddy primordial soup the same as every other creature.
I think therefore I am and if I think bad but choose to do good, I have to contemplate the thought that even that is open to interpretation.
So what makes me happy?
Being liked as a person, being with friends, sex. riding my motorcycle, enjoying sports, more sex, a good book or a good movie and surfing the internet and reading crazy people's blogs. Oh and more sex.
Yes, it makes me happy and yes it's crude and base level as you say, but that is the undecorated truth as you so quaintly put it.
Life is made up of small pleasures. Happiness is made up of those tiny successes. The big ones come too infrequently. And if you don't collect all these tiny successes, the big ones don't really mean anything.(Lear)
Garth
June 02, 2009 9:30 PMHello Dear Momo,
I read your post earlier but didn't have time to comment, now I am after spanish classes and have nice rainy evening...
I was thinking about happiness and for me happiness means following my dreams, reaching them and finding new goals all the time, again and again. This is the sense of life and I think people without dreams are empty and unhappy - like they don't have reason to live.
And I agree with you that people we love make us happy, without their support, nice words, smile and daily attention we means nothing. Love is something very, very special, but as you know I've never been in love, so it is a magical unknown - I can only paint it among my naive imaginations about such big thing like love. You are very lucky girl, because you can feel love every day and return it to all people you truly love. Love and be loved by the same person is beautiful treasure everyone would like to find and some of us search it during whole life.
But happiness of person we care about is a reason to be happy too. So, it means Momo, that I am very happy that you have your happiness, that I see your smile and that you have your peace back.
Take care!
Anna
Ania
June 03, 2009 2:17 AMGiven your recurring "happiness" ponderings I'm hunting down a Calvin & Hobbes strip that describes my philosophy on the topic...
More when I find it.
Phasmus
June 04, 2009 3:40 AMThanks Pat - Please enjoy yours.
Garth Thanks and you are always special to me despite your, our muddy origins. I also like things on your list .... um ...its motorcycle riding (laughs)
Ania thanks and I'm glad you were not tempted to write your comment in Spanish. Finding ourselves is sometimes a difficult task and yet strangely having someone to bounce your analysis off is remarkably helpful.
Thanks Phasmus. I wonder about a great many things and some things I just blindly accept.
Happiness in important to me and having seemingly a lack of it in last month I decided to casually throw it under my spy glass.
http://progressiveboink.com/nick/images/calvinandhobbes/CH860417.JPG
Does that match your philosophical view -point?
Thanks everyone.
Jazz
June 04, 2009 7:40 PM