See!

You are driving along and you pass such familiar objects such as houses and fields, road signs and telegraph poles and children playing games in the park and people doing their every day business and still the road continues on. Each minute takes you further and further from home and the world falls behind you. Home is lost behind the constantly renewing landscape of my rear view mirror and on and on we continue. We talk of recent events and occasionally sing along with the car CD and eventually I am forced to slow down and stop. I have run out of road and the land falls into the ocean.
Is it not a special feeling to see the flat gray blue surface reflecting the sky as much as our happiness? To hear the calls of gulls that sing of fish and mates and freedom to glide upon air currents. We smell the cold bracing salt air as we inhale deeply and we feel rejuvenated by it. All that weighed heavily on us disappeared behind us and the light feeling has us walking across sand and leave no prints. At the edge of the ocean we can walk no further and yet here on this fringe we feel such tranquility as if the ancient strands of our DNA inside of us gaze upon the waters and recognize home. The oceans rhythm is in harmony with our souls and strangely a momentary sense of our long past self adrift within warm amniotic fluids accompanied by the beating drum that was our Mother's heartbeat. We could know nothing other than racial memories carried across in our genes but that beat was so very reassuring.

Of course the ten days away from the office meant a certain freedom, but not necessarily away from work. It means a freedom to pursue other things. Having a little fun with my second vocation and of course some free time with my best girl made all the difference. Again it was cold with a chilled wind coming in from the Pacific as walked along the sands of Gobo, Wakayama.
There are many places that we could have visited but this one is special because it has the scent of a million flowers behind the sea air that gives this atmosphere a scented tang that's highly invigorating. The Area is well known for the hundreds of greenhouses and many large open fields where flowers of many varieties are grown. We walk hand in hand along the beach and as the sun sinks into the sea we find that here is where the perfumed garden meets Kafka on the Shore.


Ok! We can walk further!
Touch me my primordial home.

4 comments :: See!

  1. A timely post. I'm presently torn by the eternal question, "Wakayama or Shirahama?" The spouse and I have decided to onsen and beach for a day or two with friends when we're in Kansai week after next. But where?

    Of course, if the sunset over the pacific really does bring about Izanami / Izanagi moments, maybe we're better off staying inland and just going to the ancient Arima Onsen, or someplace like that...I'm not sure I'm ready for little Phasmus "islands" yet.

  2. i seen it...and read it, great blog...k on the shore is fantastic book

  3. Dear Phasmus, if choice is restricted to "either one", you will simply just have to research and choose. Otherwise I would say hay 50% of time in each.
    I am strangely drawn to this place as if some natural affinity exists between my spirit and there. It seems as if I am forever destined by choice or by fate to visit upon several occasions each year. Perhaps it's because of my "Kinki" nature!
    Where-ever you choose Phasmus, I wish you a happy and relaxing vacation.

    Hello Mr Net,
    Yes, Kafka on the shore is a mentally stimulating novel and I wonder how the riddles combined and concluded in your mind?

  4. Hello miss Momo

    i read it 2 times ...and with 2 different conclusions.
    I will read it again this summer,
    then i probably will have a 3 rd theory.
    If thats the case,
    my final conclusion will be...that there is none.

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.