Atomos and the cutting room floor

Another parcel arrived the very next day.
However this one did not contain any work related material and neither was it marked urgent. This one had the 'Amazon' motif stamped onto it and contained my new painful way to maintain beauty. Oh the things we do!

I had ordered the Tria home laser hair remover a few days ago and I eagerly awaited its arrival. Admittedly it looks like a science fiction movie ray gun and it really can be described as a laser pistol, I can't vaporize rampaging alien monsters or 'stun' any bad guys with it.
It took me ten minutes to read the instructions and several hours to charge the battery.
I sat looking at it with an impatient scowl and it decided to charge even more slowly in protest at my tempered visage. I pretended to do other things and gave it an occasional glance but it knew and it sat there smugly complacent and uncaring about my needs and their urgency.
"OK, Fine!" I said, "Take your time." and it did.
I managed to do some housework and go out and have noodles and a a coffee for lunch with my old friend Aya in the Tosoba restaurant just around the corner. I can't go far from home because my brother's baby is due anytime soon and since I was off today, I was the one ready to take Rina to the hospital as soon as she enters labor.
When I got home I showered and prepared myself and checked my skin tone on the special sensor and 'zap'!
I found out with that one single zap that setting five was too high. Setting three was bearable. What this laser actually does is and understandably it works best for black hair on pale skin, is deep fry the hair with near infra red radiation and that goes all the way down into the follicle and over time will disable it. That basically means that after a few weeks, the hairs will fall out and won't grow back. Goodbye Bikini wax!
Half an hour of zapping later and I was soothing in a nice cold numbing cream. Yes it is painful and yes I get a slight skin rash lasting a few hours after use and yes, I will grow new follicles but there is no razor and no cream on Earth that will give me comparable smoothness results.

Miss 'Me-lots' arrived back on Sunday evening from her short tour and as usual immediately makes our home look untidy. I think that it's a gift that she was born with! She has bought a new Apple Ipod touch and has downloaded a lot of applications for it. For instance she has local weather. It says rain in our area. I opened the blinds of the living room window and looked into an early starlit and clear night.
I could not suppress my giggle and she just screwed her nose up at me. Twenty minutes later as I needed to cross the street to the AM-PM store to get some fresh bread and eggs, I had to take my rain-mac and umbrella!
She laughed at a wet through Momo then!


I've just finished reading "Behold the man" by Michael Moorcock as recommended by an on-line friend.
The story was quite predictable really. It's one of those time is immutable stories meaning that what ever a time traveler does in the past has already happened and so he's not changing anything by going back but rather they are actually fulfilling their destiny. It takes away the idea of free will since that interpretation makes everything seem preordained.

Now guys I'm waiting to become an Auntie again.

2 comments :: Atomos and the cutting room floor

  1. What gives "Behold The Man" its power for me is the very fact that Karl's destiny is inescapable. Through his own arrogance he finds himself trapped in a story he knows will end badly, but he seems to do everything to make it come about. Another character says "Martyrdom is a conceit" which seems to be the key to Karl Glogauer's character.

  2. I say immutable and you say inescapable. He had many doubts about his masculinity and perhaps bravery when you consider the sexuality of "wooden crosses and silver crosses" and also his inability to face up to male aggression as a teen. Doubts that I imagine many men undergo.
    Once back in the past and knowing he is unlikely to return, his confusion about the absence of the Messiah and of how certain John the Baptist is about Karl's destiny for me steers the direction of the book.
    I giggled a little at Mr Moorcock's license with the character of Mary - not exactly the virgin that the religion would have us believe is she? Jesus the fool and the wrong age! Karl has to do something.
    Then finally the grave robbers hoping that Karl's body will have some magical properties after death. This is the stuff that legends (and myths) are created from.
    I good read and I'd recommend it to anyone Simon, thanks for the comment.

    Next on my recommended hit-list is a step into parallel worlds, apparently Larry Niven's "All the myriad ways" will give me something to think about as well as being a damn fine & well written story. I already liked his ring-world series so I'm looking forward to it.

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.