We drank coffee and ate pastries in the car driving home from the airport.
T.W had jetted home from working in the Kansai region and had quite an interest in seeing Hitomi's home studio. Hitomi quite proudly had told T.W all about it last time they worked together. She agreed when we said we'd pick her up that she could come over for dinner and a few drinks and view Hitomi's proud creation.
Of course Hitomi wanted to shoot her too.
T.W. said that perhaps this will be the first steps of Hitomi's professional life on the other side of the lens.
"What will you call this new venture?" she asked.
There was a strange silence as we all looked around at each other.
"We can call it Hitomi's studio." Hitomi offered rather unimaginatively.
We all laughed.
"Home studio is a good enough name for it", I said, "After all it is in my home."
I saw Hitomi's eyes on me in the rear-view.
"Our home" I corrected myself.
Relief descended on me as I saw her hard staring features soften and smile.
T.W who is very often observant chose not to pick up on my faux pas.
"Doesn't everything have a name? I mean if Shinjuku and Shibuya had no names there would be total confusion!" T.W offered.
"The old religions said that there was a power in knowing a true name." Hitomi said.
"We have no power over T.W, she has no name and everyone we know calls her by those initials. I laughed.
It all became a little bit crazy as we played on what T.W could mean and even T.W herself proposed a few good ones. Imagine something like 'Trim waist', 'tender warmth', 'terribly wicked', 'typhoon wind' or even 'Tomomi's woman'. You can imagine some of the things we came up with!
So what is T.W's name you may wonder?
She is just T.W. It is how I write of her in my private journals and how I call her and how I refer to her. Everyone knows who I mean when I say T.W.
The topic continued as to why planes do not have names and boats do.
It's a fair point and I suppose planes are mass produced and a recent thing whereas boats were built by hand and given names as a token of an individual crafting and for the owners and crew to identify with it. Hitomi did remind us that some planes were named, the Spirit of St. Louis and the Enola Gay for example.
I think Identity is the key word here the same as we name a pet but we won't name a fish in a large aquarium.
After a late lunch and a couple of drinks, Hitomi convinced T.W to pose for a shoot. Convince is hardly the right word. We tried to hold her back as she rushed into the studio eagerly wanting her pictures taken would be more accurate but you know I like to present my words in a more tranquil setting.
TW stayed over at our place and after an outdoor session in the morning and lunch - she made her way home.
She has another couple of pictures for her portfolio and slowly but surely my sweet Hitomi makes her name.


0 comments :: Jet
Post a Comment
Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.