Hitomi and I had been enjoying a Caesar salad lunch with Rina and watching my little nephew exploring what he can do with his hands. He is already five and a half months old and he likes to blow bubbles in his mouth and shake a small rag doll. He can sit unassisted for long periods of time before falling over into awaiting arms or his large safety pillows. Time passes so quickly! This week he has started on his first solid of baby porridge and from the range of baby juices that he's been introduced to he seems to likes apple juice best of all. The most beautiful thing is for me to sit behind him where he cannot see me and I talk. I talk about anything and everything, it matters not. There is of course seemingly little interest or no response at all but should I say his name, he will turn around and look at me. This ability at so young an age has me smiling. The fact that I smile and give him a kiss and a hug may also help this progress as I'm sure he can now learn about cause and effect, it is in effect a reward for his behavioral responses.Is it only children that enjoy the present? I seem to have constant hope for the future and my dad seems to dwell more and more often in his past!
"Did you ever have the feeling to want children?" Rina asked me.It's a question I have been asked on several occasions and I think each time my answer was different but all in all as much as I love children, I do not believe I will have one. I am content knowing my families genetic line passes into the next generation with two of my brothers. I know for a fact that if by some future reason I would fall pregnant then my whole lifestyle would change and I would become the Mother that my baby needed me to become and that my maternal instincts would drive me to become. As the life partner of another girl it is unlikely that we'd want our present lifestyle changing and in this country it is not legal for a single girl or two partners of the same gender to use artificial insemination. Only a legally married couple may have access to such services. While many of you could imagine how easy it could be for my love or myself to go out and obtain a sample, I can tell you that purely random samples are not what I'd want for the development of my child. I'd want a sample from someone with a good genetic history.
Hiro phoned up later that afternoon and said that a delivery had arrived for Hitomi. He and two of the waiters from the restaurant brought the boxes up for us and we guided them into the utilities bedroom which henceforth will be known as Hitomi's studio. She'd popped into 'Yodobashi Camera' in Shinjuku and bought her photographic lights, filters and reflectors last Wednesday and now here they all were and they replaced the old lights that she'd obtained from a closing down auction. We unpacked them and then tore up the cardboard for the recycle sacks.
T.W is coming over on Tuesday for a drink or two with us and Hitomi will no doubt like to add to her portfolio.

It's NOT LEGAL to use artificial insemination unless you're married?! That's just stupid and awful. There are so many TERRIBLE parents who never wanted children - what's the point, and what's the benefit of preventing a person or couple who really wants a child from having and raising a kid? What kids need are good parents, not "socially acceptable" couples.
What the legislators are saying is that a man who beats his wife and children is a better parent (because he has a RIGHT to be a parent) than a woman who chose not to marry or who is in love with another girl...NO MATTER HOW CARING A PARENT SHE WOULD BE!
I suppose it's not terribly tragic for you, Jazz, as it sounds like being a mom isn't something you want. So I'm glad that this ridiculous law isn't a cause of heartache...but it still makes me angry at how stupid and bigoted it is.
Phasmus
June 07, 2011 6:24 AMHello Dear Phasmus.
Perhaps by the anger and aggressive shouts of all those who would want a baby - the only legally entitled are those couples of a man and his wife who wish such services.
Why should a single girl want a child?
Hitomi and I are both single girls in the eyes of the law. WE have separate ID cards and passports, we both live at the same address and that is all the information legally required.
There is no assumption as to any relationship here and therefore there is no possibility of obtaining a service such as this.
Gay couples can shout from here to the other side of the world - it will not happen!
some countries have introduced gay marriage and to be honest with you about Japanese eyes - Should Hitomi and I go to Holland and marry there - once we returned to Japanese soil it would not be recognized by Nippon law. There is no law against homosexuality or lesbianism and there are civil rights in place to protect us in the most basic forms, but we cannot marry.
It is not for us to determine the merits of individuals in a marriage. you get good and bad couple in heterosexual and lesbian couples. If you wish to drive a car you take lessons and pass a test and earn the right. There are no such tests of determining any aptitude for marriage or indeed parenting. Most of us are born with 50% of the ability to create a new human life.
I actually think I'd make a good Mother and so would Hitomi...
But it just isn't right is it?
I can go and flutter my eyelids in from of several University Professor's and I am absolutely certain I could get at least one good sample of the breath of life that I'd need...
But it just isn't right is it?
Old men make the laws they think they need to keep the social and economic and political and cultural elements of our people in place.
Normally as a society changes - laws may change to accommodate the newer climates but in this one specific area ... There are too many dead ends and a lack of interest by those with the power.
If you live on the equator then you'd hardly be writing a law about a residential occupant needing to clear snow from the front of their own property in case it presented a hazard to others!
Call it a snow blindness on their part!
It's not tragic for us dear Phasmus, but as a woman, no! As women we both have maternal instincts and when we hold Rina's baby close, our souls resonate in harmony with our Mothering instinct.
It is as well that we do not as yet want a child because if we did... then we know we cannot - unless one of us becomes a pregnant single girl!
Do not get angry over this matter dear friend, because in truth you may as well get angry at the gathering rain clouds on your one day off that you set aside for a picnic!
Thanks for your comment and your favorable thoughts.
Momo
June 08, 2011 6:18 AM