Bringer of the darkness

An update.

It is five thirty on a cold morning and I get out of bed - Hitomi stays where she is but mumbles that she'll come out in a couple of hours.
I dress and go outside with the Angels.
The clouds cover the cold morning sky and I am a little disappointed that the skies are not clear. We cannot tell where the sun is except it rose somewhere over there in the east!
We run inside and make some hot tea and eat a hurried breakfast. Hitomi considers getting out of bed for noodles but turns over and snores loudly!


We put on our coats and step outside. We become worried now because the cloud seems heavier than it was twenty minutes ago.
The morning has not had a chance to warm up outside and still the chill of night seems to envelop us.
Several people step out of homes to look up nervously at the sky.
"Do not be afraid everyone," mutters Sumomo, "I'm a child and I am not scared!"
Riko nods agreement.
But the other people don't hear her. Some people stare from behind windows where it's warm inside their homes.

The sky grows darker and the birds stop singing. There is an ominous and silent dread descending upon us. Riko hugs my hips and looks up at me questioningly. I smile and nod my head reassuringly.
"Amateru you shine in Heaven." I whisper under my breath.
The moon eats a little of the sun and those assembled applaud the spectacle. Yet I wonder does this touch our fears at some primeval root?

Riko is no longer worried and holds her sister's hand - it is their first time to witness such heavenly beauty.

Hitomi finally joins us yawning with a cup of hot coffee in her hand, "It's still night time, let's go back to bed!" She jokes.
It is seven thirty three and the sun is a golden ring.

Up there on the moon there are mountains and valleys and if you look close at the edge of the moon when it is seen like this we are supposed to see these features as they are named the 'Bailey beads' however with so much cloud in the sky we do not see it well.






Seven fifty and the moon crept out to the edge of the sun and it made a beautiful arc in the sky.

In the darkness we turn to go home. The children must ready themselves for school. They have seen their first solar eclipse.
'Remember all you saw and all you felt', I say to them. This memory will last you a life time.
We had softly fallen into the cold second night and gazed at the circles in the sky. We tasted the darkness and shivered. We long to return to the light.

If you see it again here in Tokyo it will be September 2 2035.

0 comments :: Bringer of the darkness

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.