Miniscule Moments

I attended mid-term assessment this Friday. It was a chance to see the progress of the children in this new term. We were able to talk to teachers and see some of the work the children have covered in class. Riko's new teacher for this year Mr Nakamura, is one of my old teachers and as I recall, he taught me twenty-three years ago and I particularly enjoyed his lessons. I was very pleased to find that he remembered me and remembered me well. He recalled a couple of incidents regarding my time in his school. The first was when we were on a school outing to the Tokyo riding school. I think this was instrumental in my joining this club a few months later. At the time I recall being in awe of such magnificent beasts. No not the horses, at 9 years of age we were with the miniature ponies where we learned to feed and groom and finally ride one. The incident my old teacher recalled was that since I was afraid of falling from this pony's back and I'd voiced my fears several time, I squeezed it tightly with my legs. This however is the rider to beast communication to tell him to gallop. And gallop he did with a frightened and uncertain Momo clinging on for dear life and still pressing his flanks tight with my knees. He galloped out of the petting area, past the stables and into the arena where older students and much larger horses practised jumping and dressage. It was Mr Nakamura himself who chased after us and finally he cornered my ride and took control of my mount. Thank you my most brave and honorable teacher for saving me from an uncertain ending!
Thankfully the other time he remembers was a nicer moment and one I'd almost forgotten. It was the day when I took my very first prizes for the swimming competitions on our school sports day. I was very proud of myself that day. These were my first ever prizes for anything at all that I'd ever won in my life. My friends congratulated me as I'd brought honor to our class. Sadly my parents were not able to attend the event because my Mother was in hospital at that time with her illness and so Mr Nakamura took it upon himself to tell me how proud he was of me and he took a photo of me holding up my medals with his old Polaroid camera. He gave me the print so I could show my Mother later.

Riko was impressed with the tales of her Mother's younger days. However this was her day and all about her. Mr Nakamura reported that as well as being a most studious student, she loves to write and indeed I was privileged to read a small essay of hers entitled 'My two mothers.' Her writing is fairly neat and her structure is simple but she expresses herself well for such a young age and it is easy to see within her essay how happy she is with our days out and family time. Overall she is doing very well.

Mr Matsuo is Sumomo's teacher. He is new to the school, a young and handsome man who speaks quite softly and is very articulate. He was pleased with my daughter's progress and I did press him over her mathematical abilities because of the problems she faced during her last school year. He informed me that Sumomo was above average in all areas but couldn't believe she'd had any difficulty with her arithmetic. He showed me her arithmetic and geometry work books. His comments written inside them for her problem solving and methodology are full of praise. He said that although it is too early to say at this time, it does look although she has a gift in this area. I told him of her problems she suffered in her last grade and how a close friend of the family has been coaching her. Mr Matsuo nodded almost incredulously and then said that if we compare her work from last term with this one then he can only say that my friends coaching abilities are as good, if not better, than many teachers. Credit where it is due, it is also about how well the student assimilates her information he added as he patted Sumomo's shoulder ostentatiously.
I am a proud mother happy my children are doing well. I am also indebted to Terutaka for his continual help with his coaching to Sumomo. I made a point to phone him and express my thanks.

Since my head was held high and being pleased with the dedication of my angels, as we walked home together I promised to take them anywhere they liked for the afternoon. After hurried deliberations between them both they decided on Coco's curry house. I nodded happily at their choice.
I love a good spicy curry.
We went home, showered and changed and along with me, they wore their 'Minnie outfits' and we all enjoyed a spicy afternoon.
The children had chicken nuggets with nan-bread and curry from the children's menu and I enjoyed a thin sliced beef curry. We had a center plate with salad that we shared and for desert we all chose their delicious mango pudding.
It is a small reward for good work at school that the angels and I enjoy.
A mini school moment for three hungry Minnie's!

In the last post I mentioned making a new album. I've just made a small one with twelve images, four each of three girls in the garden, Yuka, Aya and Momo. Look for album entitled "Korakuen."

0 comments :: Miniscule Moments

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.