It was like some scene out of a movie. You know the style where this big guy stands in your way and tries without much effort to look like a hybrid between a sumo champion and a stone wall and he says in a very deep voice, "Get in the car, the boss wants to see you!" and not even a 'please!'OK so there wasn't really a big guy barring my path but there was a car and there was a boss sitting in it. My ex boss and my ex anything else you may want to imagine. I like him as "X", I want him to stay as an 'X' and I'm wishing strongly for excommunicated in the Christian sense and there he was with a haircut and shirt that disappeared shortly after rebels without causes. He removes his ultra cool ray bans and asks me to get in.
In my best American style 'the hell I will' voice I say "No thank you!"
I have not reached the dizzying heights of journalistic excellence only to get kidnapped by an obsessed ex-lover and crazy media entrepreneur who ran off and married my best friend and who would probably sell me to the illegal slave traders of the Middle East for the price of a more modern haircut.
"If I invited you for coffee you wouldn't come" he added like it was a good reason to get in and get swallowed by his plush red leather seats.
"I have turned you down on the phone and by text and now in person I say to you that I'm not interested, go away!"
Why is it so difficult for men to understand what a negative response means?
"Baby, look at you, you're a second rate journalist on a third rate magazine but I can put you back on top!"
Now this is a trend with this guy when he is trying to get what he wants and I suspect many males do the same thing. They dismiss anything you presently have as poor and 'slumming it' and suddenly I should consider myself lucky in the extreme to have him come along and offer me a hand up out of the gutter.
"I happen to like what I am and where I am and what I'm doing and how dare you try to come back into my life after what you did to me" I shout at him. But not so loud that it will alert the curious passers by.
"What I did to you was put you on top and I made your career. Now if you'll listen to me I have an exciting new project that I want you to be a part of and you will be big time again!"
You know I stood still and looked deeply into his eyes that were surrounded by more wrinkles than I can remember him having and I can honestly say he looked sincere, genuine and full of self belief and I actually considered asking what the new project was all about.
Then after 13 nanoseconds, I remembered the pepper spray in my purse and brought it out in an openly threatening manner.
This guy was a rat, a liar and a cheat but he wasn't stupid. He knew what it was and he knew my conviction with it. Never mess with Momo when she say No-no. You better know know that it's time to go-go! He jumped back in his car and the dying promise on the wind as he sped away was "I'll call you again".
I must change my number!

I finally met up with Yoshi for lunch as promised and she brought Fuyuko with her. Jazz melts in the corner. I have known both of these girls since school and between you, me and the English speaking internet world, I have had a crush on her since I was flat chested and played with Barbie dolls. Girls of my persuasion soon throw the 'Ken' doll into the bin or swap him for the chains, whips and Barbie Gothic outfits. It's not often I meet with Fuyuko now because she moved to Yokohama and married some guy who was in school with her Father.Don't ask!
She has the most beautiful eyes, the most sultry voice and the cutest little everything there is about her and I just want to melt all over her and here am I, much wiser to the world, wearing prettier shoes and bearing wider hips and I still fall apart like an immature giggling schoolgirl in her presence.
[snap of the fingers]
Come on Jazz, don't make it obvious.
When she said she was here visiting her family for a few days I just gave her my number and invited her to come over...
Ah, what am I doing? I promised myself I was going to change that. OK, I won't change my number.
Then suddenly, Hitomi phoned and apologized and said she wanted to have a nice evening in with me tonight. I was saying "no no, it wasn't you it was me, I'm so sorry and of course I'd love to have a cozy evening with you" and of course those two had gone quiet and looking at me and listening...
Fate has a strange sense of humor wouldn't you agree? Or perhaps I was on the edge of making a big mistake and fate saved me?
I looked at Yoshi and Yuko and thought...
Then putting the phone in my purse I said "Hey girls, look, I want to give you our tickets to attend TGC on Saturday. We can't go so please take these tickets and enjoy it"
In their wide eyed thanks I got a hug and a kiss from Miss melt my heart and I might well have been tempted to give her anything else for just one more little kiss. But I have to be sensible and know where my heart lies.
Hitomi and I took food from the restaurant up to our apartment. Please notice that I said 'our' again and I no longer I said 'mine' in the singular possessive sense. There is no need to go over that last week's stresses and discomfort. We just sat together and tried to watch the Hong Kong movie, Butterfly on DVD but we were too distracted and finally went to bed. We can watch it another night.
Butterfly
To have someone, to kiss someone the best is yet to come.
Between you and me Jazz, is your former boss a member of the Yakuza ?
quietman
September 06, 2008 9:20 AMI can tell you he is not one. The man is a small boy that hides behind the image of a big man.
I dislike a lot of what he has done but I must also acknowledge that he was an essential part of who I am today.
I don't think I am obliged to him in any way now.
We are over years ago.
He is somewhere over the rainbow and I'm here with my feet on the ground.
Jazz
September 06, 2008 9:11 PMNo matter the format, little one, I have read enough of your writings to know that they will be fascinating. Just continue to write.
QUOTE In their wide eyed thanks I got a hug and a kiss from Miss melt my heart and I might well have been tempted to give her anything else for just one more little kiss. END QUOTE
I've been disappointed so many times by people, you'd think I woould get used to it.
Love,skip
Anonymous
September 08, 2008 10:31 AMThank you Uncle Skip
Although I do remember when they were more prose style and I hid things with references you were often unsure. Perhaps that was a necessary intent on my part {wink}
But that was a lifetime ago before I reinvent my life-style and follow a much more secure and comfortable path.
No need for disappointment Uncle, that means you had high expectations of that person. Some are content to be wallflowers and never desire to climb mountains. Please know that valley dwellers are often happy too.
Jazz
September 09, 2008 7:07 PM