After work on Tuesday night I called into the Mars alone.
Hitomi was working and I had decided to drop in to give Ma a little present that we'd bought for her while we were away at the week-end. It was one of those presents where you have to keep it wrapped up and hidden from view while at the office.
"Oh Momo I accidentally knocked you bag over and this fell out!" I could imagine one of my colleagues saying as she held it aloft for the world to see! It's like a little rocket isn't it! (Laughs)
Well that's exactly what it is shaped like and when we went into 'that' store and saw that 'rocket ship for Mars', we just knew exactly who to buy it for.
Ma was happily surprised to see me as I'm not a Tuesday night regular and so I ordered a drink and a light snack since I was there. She loved her little present and I hope she reaches orbit soon!
As I was about ready to leave a husky voice from behind me asked if she could buy me a drink.
I didn't recognize the voice but I turned around expecting to see one of my friends there. You probably all know the game we used to play when we were at school of disguising our voice and coming up behind friends or telephoning them with a changed voice. That is what I expected.
Who I saw there surprised me a little bit. I have mentioned her before as the girl with the piercing black eyes, here and here after first really mentioning her here.
I invited her to sit and she ordered the drinks. She introduced herself as Miyako and she really does have the deepest blackest eyes. She said she'd noticed me in the bar several times and I of course said that I'd noticed her and felt the need to complimented her eyes which I think I have always found quite fascinating and amazing even if from afar. She talked quite a lot about herself and as I was a little reluctant she asked a lot of questions. I felt relaxed enough to be honest with her and to enjoy the mild flirtation between us but when she made it obvious that if I wanted more she was there, I had to apologize and back off a little.
I believe I left there with a big smile on my face. Yes it's nice to know finally who that girl with the piercing back eyes is and it was lovely talking with her. It's even nicer to know that she felt a little desire for me.
Of course I felt it for her too and had I have been single then undoubtedly the evening would have been very different.
I told Hitomi all about my evening and amazingly I learned that the girl with the piercing black eyes had chatted briefly with Hitomi on one evening when I was working and she'd gone into the Mars alone. I didn't like how she'd seemingly forgotten to tell me about it but as she told me, it was quite petty, meaningless and hardly memorable.
I'd like to make a moment to say that I'm worried about a friend of mine.
It only takes one dark cloud to cover the sun.
Depression is something that affects a lot of people and especially women. I have suffered from it on several occasions with one particular desperate episode.
I once heard a fascinating story that depression's greatest cause was a lack of sunshine. Some study or other showed that there were more cases of depression in Alaska than there were in Florida, more in Siberia than in Saigon. The theory went on to describe melatonin which regulates sleep and mood can be over produced in darkness and an absence of exposure to sunlight unlike the wonderful sun that suppresses it. This excessive melatonin in our system gives us sleep problems of 'jet-lag' proportions, low moods and a general feeling of fatigue.
But there are many forms of depression and they all affect us all in different ways. As the Greeks said, "Fate finds for each one of us our own individual misery". Billions of people with full ranges of emotions living lives far from the ideals of perfection fall prey to thoughts that can and do completely change the chemistry set that we call human hormones.
Life offers us many causes for regret and a lack of happiness. There is plenty of adversity and sorrow and suffering in this world for everyone to have more than their fair share. Unfortunately it often seems there is not enough happiness to share with everyone. In the balance of things a little depression and melancholy feelings are perhaps good for everyone but just as we can have too much of a good thing, we can also have too much of a bad thing. It is enough to sometimes tip us over the edge. Perhaps the answer may lie in the acceptance of life?
I wish her well and I do hope she contacts me.
I just have this empathic and depressive feeling of such loss.

as i read your post i have a feeling that ur kindness flows in flux of moments,u r little present to mom;and u see a girl whose deep eyes (kindness 'n beauty together)draw u towards her ,u actually respond to her.and depression of others turns u into a philospher reflecting on suffering.keep musing a lot jazz,we'll listen to ur music.
kamash
June 11, 2010 9:21 PMI too have suffered from periods of depression. Thankfully, they didn't last too long.I have found the herb St.John's Wort to be of help. Exercise and getting enough sleep would also help. Churchill used to refer to his depression as his 'black dog'.
Unknown
June 12, 2010 8:10 AMI hope our friend will come back to us soon. I also used to get mildly depressed on certain issues. You have a deep insight on many things, and I believe it's true when you told me that the people suffering from depression needs a friend...I truly hope that she will be ok.
A very insightful post Momo.
Andrew
June 13, 2010 2:07 AM