Asian style

I do like listening to Jenifer Lopez. I even liked her in the 2004 movie "Shall we dance" with Richard Gere. It was of course a remake from a 1996 Japanese movie, "shall we dansu", which was filmed in Blackpool in England. She has started an advertising campaign for "Tous" jewellery from Spain and someone decided it would be cool to give her a stereotyped idea of a Japanese aura.
See some pictures of her here:
I have read reviews of this campaign both western and local and I must reluctantly admit that I agree with the general consensus that she does indeed look a little 'silly'.
I always have a warm feeling about seeing western girls dress in traditional Asian dress because I imagine they wear them because they have a warm feeling towards our culture. But they do look out of place.
Yes we Eastern girls wear western tee- shirts and jeans and dye our hair blond and there is this 'worshiping of all things foreign.' There are just some things that look strange. If you see an African man wearing a Scots suit with kilt or a white woman wearing a Chinese Qipao or an Indian Saree or a Japanese Kimono, it looks out of character. I do not say there is anything at all wrong with this. People can wear what they want. I just point it out like one blue car in a car park full of red cars or a little like western actors like Sidney Toler and Roland Winters playing the part of a Chinese Charlie Chan.
I wish her and the campaign good luck.

I want to share a music video here. It's by Genki Sudo and the new world order and called 'machine civilization.'


This is his message to spread the idea of solidarity. His message reads:
Many disasters are on-going in Japan; earthquakes, Tsunami, and nuclear accidents. These unprecedented things may be able to change however from now. That's why I expressed through World Order to convey some message to you on my own way. I see these accidents will become a turning point of civilization. I think the time of revolution is coming, where people in the world coexist with this planet against the system of modern society, economy and politics.

Any accident is neutral. Although we are straying around this deep darkness, I believe we can get through anything when each of us can let go of our fear and face things positively.

The world won't change on its own. We do change one by one. That makes the world change. The darkness just before the dawn is deepest. So, we do rise up together to greet the brilliant morning truly coming for the human beings.

WE ARE ALL ONE

Genki Sudo

Hope you enjoy the choreography and movement, it really is awesome.

0 comments :: Asian style

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.