A big day

I arrived about twenty minutes early and I just sat waiting in my car drinking soup from my flask. The sun was shining quite brightly but it was still a little cold this early in the morning and so I thought to fortify myself a little before I ventured outside. Their vans pulled into the Okura sports complex car park a little after I'd arrived and I watched them for a few minutes whilst drinking up the last of my soup.
I went over and introduced myself to the one giving directions as everyone was very busy. Masashi, whom I introduced myself to was the photographer and he explained that there had been a problem with the barriers and pointed towards the car park exit. We had all come into the car park by the Northern side but this Eastern entrance had the barriers locked into place and more barriers were separating the approach drive from the road. On the other side of the road was the entrance to Kinuta Park where we were doing the actual shoot. The guys had to carry all the equipment up over a footbridge that spanned the road and into the park on the far side. Masashi introduced me to the makeup team, two girls and a guy, and I was asked nicely if I would help carry over a couple of their cases. I didn't mind at all since I wanted to get away as early as I could today.
In the park a screen had been set up and inside was a chair and fold up tables, the dressing rail with several gowns  and some hurriedly placed cables leading off to a rather noisy little generator a few meters away outside the screened off area. The hairdresser almost tripped over them as he entered and he shouted angrily to the technicians with words I would not like to print here.
"Beautiful eyes, fantastic complexion and a wonderfully intriguing smile" the hairdresser said to me as I sat in the chair, "but your hair is just a complete disaster this morning!"
I didn't care to mention that I'd posed for a hair magazine just three days before.
His comb scraped my scalp as he pulled it roughly through my hair and I winced once or twice as he pulled it back hard behind me and then platted it tightly at the back.
"He wants a bright smiling happy bride face to shoot darling, not one obscured by a forest of hair."
I regarded him torturing my hair. He was standing behind me as watched him in the mirror in front of me and I looked at his forest of hair of thick black shocks before deciding that it was probably a wig, and most likely a cheap one!
Makeup was a breath of fresh air. She was gentle to the point of demure and explained in a soft voice everything she was doing. She gave me a fresh brightness to my complexion and then when that stage was over I went to the dressing and my excitement rose considerably. I don't know why but I find wedding gowns and the associated symbolism so beautiful and so luxurious.
I took off my clothes and she helped me into such a wonderful ballroom style wedding gown although it was a little tight at the back. I guess it's because I am a little generous in my bust measurements and so she had to pin it a little but it was fantastic and I felt beautiful wearing it. She put on a gold necklace and earrings and clipped in a white spray hair adornment and I was ready. The team gave me nods of approval for the results of their diligent work. My head held high and wearing a smile I picked up my posy and walked outside. The photographer indicated that I should come over and he introduced me to the set director who apologized for the seemingly disorganized morning and explained that things usually run smoother than that. I told him that it was quite alright and everyone was so professional that they'd made everything look easy which made him smile.
Masashi complemented my on my look and said I was making his job easy which made me blush a little. Laughingly he told me to keep the red cheeks as they complimented my posy.
We were off to a good start and it was a wonderfully relaxed shoot. I felt good, I looked good and I tried my best to give Masashi exactly what he wanted. He wanted a fresh morning dew, happy expectations and positive look about me with just a hint of nervous excitement.



We finished up a little after one in the afternoon and I excused myself saying that I needed to rush to my daughter's graduation. I phoned Hitomi and said I was leaving the site and heading to school and she said that she'd collect Riko and meet me there.
When you are in a rush the traffic conditions always seem against you. I knew I was finishing by about noon but I'd already explained to my girls that my work had unpredictable hours. Hitomi would be present even if I couldn't make it I'd told them. They nodded their understanding.
Hitomi and Riko were stood by the school gates as I arrived. I parked up and hurried across to the gates and I buzzed to be let in.
"Love your hair!" she said to me - I hadn't untied it, it was still tightly platted behind me. Rikochan gave me a hug and said I looked very pretty which meant all the world to me. I hugged her lovingly back.
Everyone was already assembled in the great hall as we entered and took our places to watch Grade four graduate. Each of the children stood in turn and were called to the podium. Each child was thanked for the hard work and good results that they'd achieved that year and were handed a certificate that had been designed by grade four. Each child then gave a thank you and sat to applause.
When Sumomo was called and thanked for her dedication and hard work this year, the Principal also mentioned that today was her last day in school and she was leaving with the best wishes of her teachers and all of her friends. She bowed to the Principal and took her certificate and then she turned and thanked her teachers and her friends with tears in her eyes and added that she would miss being a part of such a beautiful school. As she turned to take her seat, her applause came, Riko stood and so did I and everyone turned to look at us. I didn't care! Sumomo made me proud again today.
After the ceremony, both Riko and Sumomo hugged their school friends a final goodbye.
Hiro had made the girls Hayashi beef rice for their graduation meal and it did taste just like I remember Momma's hayashi from so many years ago.
Sumomo put her certificate in a large frame that Hitomi gave to her and we put in on the wall next to her bed. They have two weeks free now and then they start the new academic year in a new school closer to home.

1 comments :: A big day

  1. No one in my eyes could be a more beautiful bride than what I saw posted here. You will be the one that girls want to look like on their wedding day. You took my breath away.

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.