Happenstance

Do you remember that evening when you were with ...

Well you can fill in the blanks and you can wonder what would have happened if....
Hitomi went to visit with her parents and she couldn't change the night because this was the night that her father was having his boss come over for dinner and he wanted his family all together. There's no need to say and indeed it wasn't said, well not aloud, that it might be better if Hitomi's little friend (me) wasn't present. I can imagine him more accepting of a stray dog sitting at his table hoping for crumbs. Well he may make a wonderful impression on the evening and put the thought in his boss’s head that a promotion should go his way but the impression is lost on me.
We'd arranged to meet up with Aya and I just detest having to deliver her excuses, it's so impolite and it always seems to be me feeling dreadful saying "Sorry, she was called away, last minute."

Aya and I went to a Kansai style okonomiyaki restaurant over on Moon Island. Okonomiyaki just means 'cook it your way' and all the tables have a hotplate. The waiter brings the bowls of ingredients and you make the omelette's yourself with the proportions you like of flour, eggs, cheese, water, grated yam, kimchee, meats and seafood. Grill both sides on the plates and enjoy.

Aya was telling me about regrets and perhaps to kick herself over lost moments. It's like a dream you have had for years and its like a fantasy almost and then one evening amongst many which could so easily have blended into a typical Friday night and written of with disinterest in a diary of one thousand Friday nights, became a romantic encounter that could prelude the pages of the worlds greatest love stories and she found accepting the dream to difficult and too fast and the icing on the cake was that she lost his number!
If I was there I would have insisted, "Oh kiss him you fool!"



No, I wasn't there and I might not really have said that in the heat and the passion of the moment but looking at the dreams that cloud over her eyes I can put my hand on hers and say that most gift horses certainly know how to gallop and how many times we are left just eating dust.
Of course I can also look back and think of the moments that I said yes with a smile and looking back from the vantage point of today, can think that was a mistake. But they never sell hindsight in bottles and believe me I'm an expert with bottles.



Oh my stars! I never did good things, I never did bad things and I most certainly never did anything out of the blue.
OK, I did and I do.

But every thing we ever did was both and good and bad and indifferent, dependent upon moralistic viewpoint, is what made us who we are today. If we could go back and change one thing in one day, then today would not have been the same as we knew it. Each day we have lived is built upon the day before it. Should we change one, then the ones on top of it would have been totally different.
Today we can say that it's our experiences that we learned from what we consider as mistakes of the past and it allows us to make better judgment calls. Everyone makes mistakes and it’s foolish we think we can get through life without them and we live today with the consequences both large and small from all of them.

But you can take a positive thought from this that the only reason we make mistakes is because we live our lives by a set of rules, moral, social, whatever tag you feel applicable and then you can think of someone who just does or says what they want and don't care for anyone really other than their selves, they are the ones who don't even have the basics of self discipline and unfortunately I think most of us know someone like that.
Mistakes are like riding bicycles. First we lean to one side and fall off. Next we over-compensate and lean to the other side and fall off. We keep repeating until we find balance.
Mistakes then are simply the lessons that we need in order to find our balance.

Think of the last mistake you made and what did you say to yourself after realizing it?
Is it something you can learn from or is it time to change one of those rules in your life?
No easy answers on this one, its all circumstance and choice and those things are also important attributes of living your life.
It's not all Ice cream and flowers you know!



Kiss me madly!

3 comments :: Happenstance

  1. Your friend has a really cute dimple.



    skip

  2. A dimple!

    Thanks

    I'll be certain to tell her.

  3. Happenstance is a strange word that I have not heard of before. Just found out it is a combination of 'happen, and 'circumstance, and means coincidence.

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.