On the Edge of the precipice


A thousand miles away and a thousand years ago somewhere and some-when, she stood silently on a cliff edge very much like I do now and looked out across the waves. Was it the setting sun that cast the red shadows across her eyes? Was the storm across the heaving waves just a reflection from within her soul? The goblet thrown violently from her hand at an impassive sky spilling the poison across the sands was the last outrage as she turned to leave. Yet the sadness is seen behind the mask of anger she wears and the wistful whispers of hurt are heard echoing throughout the halls when she thought no one was there. Soft tears would fall when she thought no one could see and no one would care.
But I was there to bear witness to her pain. To feel the mournful and sorrowful darkness envelop her and know and despise the demons that she courageously battled.
"Is it true?" she asked.
Reluctantly and with heavy heart I told her that it was and another tear ran to her mouth. The night fell about her and with no moon to guide her there was nothing anyone could say. The small comforts were missing for all our words were lost and silence as loud as a whisper reigned. I looked to the floor and she looked to the heavens. Nothing to be held inside, let it out. Don't hide such raging torrents. I get angry too but I'll never desert you. Can't you feel my love?


Even within those darkest of hours you brought me to my knees with cruel and bitter accusations, with scathing remarks lashing me and still I stand by you. I cannot lie to you and some truths hurt us as a blade to our heart. I know they do for I have those scars like you. I'm sorry and I won't stone you willfully with hurtful words. I won't mock you for the frailties and even though you shun me, I will be here when you need the comfort of my arms. Let go the pride and arrogance that hold you aloft in those ivory towers. Embrace humility, hold my hand and walk with me. Those hard rocks that stood proud from the sea were slowly eroded by the soft waters.

Blame me for all the ills and all the heartbreaks and heartaches and grieve for all the tragic injustices of the world around us but don't allow the arrogant pride that is creeping inside flatter you and lead you over the edge. What madness, what insanity! There is the sweet lure of the blissful silence which envelopes you with comfort and from within it you don't realize how much you hurt me. Beat me if you must but I won't stop loving you.

Your mask appears ill fitting. It hides your beauty and gentle smile. It hides the sparkle in your eyes and blinds you to simple truth. In that blindness the typhoon rages and lightning strikes and all I can hope for is that reason still lies somewhere just beyond it out in the calm. I don't ask that you change. I just want you to see again.

Out on the edge of the storm, I stand waiting, ignoring my own pain. I ignore the sadistic smiles of a malevolent audience and the childish fears of being left alone.
It's your pain that hurts me the most.
It's your love that pleases me the most.

3 comments :: On the Edge of the precipice

  1. A nice short story Jazz. Is it autobiographical ?

    I don't think you can say some-when. :)

  2. Its biographical with a hint of prose.

    Somewhen? Yes I can say it, catalog it under artistic license.

    Thanks for your comments:)

  3. the precipice is familiar..I think we have all stood on it at one time in our life in dark contemplation.

    good write and excellent read as always...

    always enjoy your little piece of the net...

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.