The phrase 'denim jeans' is known all over the world but who amongst you know the origins of these words? The original fabric was called 'serge' and it was manufactured in the south of France in a town called Nimes. An English mispronunciation of de Nimes (of Nimes) resulted in the word denim. Jeans was the word meant to be representative of the style of the Italian sailors of Genoa (Genoese) who wore a blue fustian uniform.In the 1850's, a man called Levi Strauss thought it would be a great idea to put rivets on the denim clothes stress points since these were mainly working mans clothes. He also put his name to them and business was good. One hundred years later in the 1950's and 1960's, stars like Marlon Brando, James Dean and Elvis Presley wore them on the big screen and denim jeans moved quite literally out of the factories and became a desired street wear. Rival companies sensing a good thing are always ready to jump on the 'bandwagon' and names like 'Wrangler' and 'Lee' made their versions of Levi Strauss ideas and the industry was born.
Here on my side of the Pacific I am pleased to say that our denim manufacture is still very traditional and it still carries that feel for the 60's and 70's hey-day of the jeans explosion. Brand names such as 'Nudie' of Sweden and the 'Diesel premier' jeans only uses Japanese denim. Home brand names here like 'Edwin', which are sometimes called Japanese Levi's with their cool faded and frayed look and also the heavy look of 'Evisu', which were mainly created on the original looms of Levi Strauss because they were bought by Hidehiko Yamane, the founder of Evisu brand, shows our respect to the original Levi's brand.
The world is in a recession and clothes are still bought by people so why shouldn't they have something that is reasonably priced and keep with a sense of fashion too. Denim is not just jeans, its also hats and jackets, shoes and bags. This year's trend is the skinny cut, the deep fade or distressed wash style and as always, the continual embellishments of elaborate embroidery and the hanging loose chains. Not much of a change there!
The denim promotion's heavy emphasis on our traditional technique and style and the theme was a 'back to basics' revival with music and art and style reproducing the ambiance and flavor of the 50's to the early 70's, I decided, after chatting with a friend of mine, to make my own fashion statement and wear my hair in the 'mod' style of the bouffant, or my attempt at it. Of course with me being 'me' you all know damn well that I didn't pack any jeans in my travel bag. I was too conservative in my limited choices of what to bring so I just stepped down to the factory shop and bought a cute little 45rpm denim jacket which was a snug fit and looked pretty smooth on me and pretty retro with my 'groovy baby' dress. I know damn well that I got talked about in my meeting during the afternoon and I was even complimented by one of the production organizers so I'm happy that my efforts were appreciated by others.
This evening I phoned Hitomi only to find that she was on her way to Shimonoseki for a promotion venue at the eiraku! I almost fainted and once more think of what strange games the fates will play with us. I said in my last post that I was here in Yamaguchi and this was the end of the Earth! (Laughs) If that statement was true then Shimonoseki is over the edge and desperately clinging on to the sides! I have one single appointment in the morning and after that I was going to make my way home but instead will now take the 40 minutes slow train ride down to meet her.
I better not throw any more curses up to fates now and I'd better smile my thanks instead. I adore moments like these. My music choice for this post is back to the 70's and a Jeans Genie!
I have something magical in my jeans too, (laughs) and my genes. (Laughs more)

First of all thank you for you help with my html problem, I understand it now, both of pictures works correctly :) Thank you very much!
Next, I want inform you that I've just sent you mail, so I will be waiting patiently for your reply.
About denim jeans... It's very interesting what you wrote. I've been interesting in fashon history, what people wear last centuries, etc. I read this post with a big interesting becouse about jeans I knew anly that american workers in gold mines wear this kind of trousers.
You look very sweet with that little bow in your hair :)
What is "eiraku"?
I'm glad that you are in good mood and spend nice time in work :) Laugh the most you can!
Take care Momo
Ania
March 29, 2009 2:51 AMLevis or the most popular outside of the bell bottoms of the 60's and 70's were the 501 Levi button fly (invented and marketed in 1890). Made famous by the iconic rebel James Dean himself. Yes even Brando gave them a shot in his younger day, but it was James Dean that popularized them with the youth of the times. Elvis, well an icon of his own dropped the denim look in favor of gold lame', leather and wing tip oxfords.
I can remember my sister in the early 1960's buying a pair of Levis and heading straight to the bathroom, filling the tub up with hot water then putting on the jeans to sit in the tub until the water was cool. Then she would wear them until they were dry. This was how you got that "second skin" look and that is what the instructions at the time told you to do in order to get the proper fit. Albeit the indigo blue legs you sported for a while prohibited you from wearing shorts or going to the beach until you were able to wear the dye completely off.
Oddly enough, the first "jean" that Levi Strauss marketed was not the famous designs we know today, but rather a riveted bib overall designed to be as work apparel for miners in California and were left the same un-dyed color from the mill. It wasn't until much later that the indigo blue dye that we know today was used and was done to hide dirt and not to popularize them. Then as noted above, in 1890 the waist pant or what we know as the 501 was introduced to serve a broader market. The 501 style is one of history's longest lasting designs still marketed today. Originally, there was no Levi's factory. The work was farmed out to home seamstresses, but when the demand for the Levi's brand proved this concept no longer effective they opened production sites on Fremont and Market Streets.
Levi's has represented generations of trends and been the iconic apparel chosen by young adults for over a century. It ushered in the rebellious 50's, the flower children of the 60's, the peace marchers of the 70's, the trend setters of the 80's and it goes on and on. No other fabric has proven to be more versatile or more copied than denim. From bib overalls and waist paints to three piece suits and dresses, denim has run the gambit and still proves itself as the chosen fabric of choice for designers and those who wear it.
Oh, and that little red tag on the back pocket? That was to be able to distinguish the Levi brand at a glance or from a distance.
A good write Momo that I enjoyed very much. And your bouffant? Well, it brought back memories and gave me a chance to reflect on a much more simple time in my life when the only thing I worried about was missing Lassie and Sky King. Thank you for the walk down Memory Lane.
Later...
Smiling Pig ©
March 29, 2009 11:25 AMAnna you are most welcome for my small help.
I have just returned home and will reply your mail very soon.
Thanks for your compliment.
Eiraku is a large building with conference halls and office spaces and a large arena where many events book space to have promotions. You can see the building in the following post photo next to the Kaikyu Yume tower.
Kisses
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ron, you have an article of your own written in my comments window! Who is the writer here I now begin to wonder with comments such as these and your wonderful in depth story on your blog.
As always, consider me impressed by your now unleashed word craft.
Thank you Ron.
Jazz
March 30, 2009 8:37 PM