The thaw of the new day has me putting my old map in the recycle bin as I fall over new contours and search for landmarks.
Yesterday another little piece of my old map blew away in the winds as the girls in the office said goodbye to a dear friend from the arts department. She was one of those girls with a genuine smile and a gentle strength who brought out the best in others and she could almost pull you up and out of any bad day you may have been suffering. She made me happy when we seriously shared tasks or giggled over laughing lunches and blissful breaks. Now we are all happy for her as she takes a higher position with a rival company but sad that we won't see her again warming our surrounds.

She could take a blank piece of paper and with a few colored pens and a few deft strokes, within minutes she could have something that 'Leonardo da Vinci' would look at in admiration with approving nods of his head. She wasn't afraid of change. She saw something in her mind and and transfered it easily to canvas. Just as easily she saw this opportunity and created her life plan on paper and redrew her map to navigate to it and accommodate it into her life.I admire her for that.
After the goodbye drinks at work a few of us had more drinks with her in the bar across the street. As I asked or perhaps interviewed her about her feelings on moving on, never once did she offer me anything less than a positive and confident aura of anticipation. She was walking tall into her new future. I admire her for that too.
I don't know if I fear change or just make excuses not to reconcile myself with it. Hitomi and I have discussed the possibilities of moving over to Osaka and she's even tried the compromise of promising just a six month trial to see if we can make it there.
Other than running the dance class here and having a few minor slots, her biggest work options have always been over in Osaka and Kobe. I start to feel guilty and I feel that I'm some kind of anchor restraining her.
All of her family is here and two of my brothers are here too. Our home is here and neither of us has to pay accommodation fees. All of our friends are here and so is everything else that we know.
If we were to move and try then of course we will always have here to fall back to but it just won't be the same. Somewhere deep inside me is a sentimental vein, layered deep between the basalt of holding on to what I have and the limestone that is reluctant to erode into new shapes.
Consider it a fault!
I don't want us to live apart and she seems more adamant and more excitedly insistent that we should step out of our comfort zone and taste adventure and uncertainty and 'live dangerously'. The innocent charm she wears across her face as she expresses herself is beguiling enough but I'm unsure. It's not easy giving up solid foundations and uprooting just like that. I like to know there will be a little firm ground under foot if we do move.
Is it recklessness?
What of my job?
In a small way the sense of adventure excites me and I want so much to please her and make her dreams real. I want to say "Yes, let's do it and to hell with everything." But if it doesn't work, what would we do then? 'Down and out in Osaka and Tokyo and other Orwellian tragedies' seems to be the title of a dusty old book in the corner bookshelf.
Let's roll the dice once more, cut the deck and put all our chips on red and spin the wheel.
{ONE: Leaving for the last time TWO: Attending the monochrome show last December THREE: In the think tank FOUR: At a section meeting}


Five years ago, we left the place that we’ve been staying for over 17 years. I left all my friends and relatives behind, moving into an unknown territory. The journey down the road wasn’t easy. It took us over 3 years to settle down. Adapting to a new environment, getting to know new people and finding a new life is as hard as trying to reach the peak of Mount Everest. It takes a substantial amount of time and effort. The first few years proved to be the most difficult part as we tried to come into terms with our new home and the surroundings. I had missed my old place and friends so much that there were times I felt like I was living on an isolated island and the urge to move back was intense. But I didn’t, simply because I did not embark on this journey alone. I was with the people that I love most in this world. We all traveled with one heart and one common goal. No matter how dire or bleak or tough the situations may be, we were always there to support and encourage each other to move on. Eventually, with one step at a time and with numerous minor injuries and bruises sustained throughout the journey, we had finally reached the peak of the mountain…
A journey with your loved one is worthwhile and it is the journey abundant with love and care that had kept me moving no matter how despair and scared I may have been. But you need to travel with one heart and towards the same goal. The aspect of venturing and exploring into the unknown zones may be thrilling and adventurous, but you need to consider it thoroughly before making any final decisions. We didn’t have an option, but you do. If moving to Osaka is truly what you BOTH want then I think you should go for it. Otherwise if you are hesitant and reluctant then you need to clear out all your doubts with Hitomi.
“It's not easy giving up solid foundations and uprooting just like that. I like to know there will be a little firm ground under foot if we do move.”
I agree. I don’t know about your situation but in my case, I was uncertain about my future when we had moved. It took us a lot of effort, tears and sweat to build that firm ground to stand on.
“In a small way the sense of adventure excites me and I want so much to please her and make her dreams real”
I’m sure Hitomi would appreciate all that you are doing for her. But should you put your future at risk? Should you sacrifice all that you’ve worked for over the years? You should not only do it to please her but you should also do what is right for yourself.
Have a pleasant and happy weekend.
Tigger
Anonymous
March 15, 2009 12:50 AMIt's very hard to say goodbye to some one we like. Keep your good memories about her!
Decision about move to another city is always difficult I think. I've never been in that situation, but I can imagine how hard it is. Advantages, disadvantages... Don't feel guilty, just ask Hitomi about her opinion, she tells you what she wants. Remember: the best in our relationship is honesty and conversation.
I hope you'll make a decision good for both of you!
Kisses
Ania
Ania
March 15, 2009 1:21 AMJust as today is different than yesterday, tomorrow will be different than today. Yesterday you did not know what today would bring any more than you do not what to tomorrow will bring today. But one thing I do know that will happen, that is the inevitable and that is the inevitable fact of change. Something that we are subject to, we cannot sequester ourselves from it, we cannot abstain from it. We are required to be a part of it, to change with it and evolve. Such is our Life Map, in a constant state of change, just as the world is, only on a larger scale, but it is these minute changes in our lives that constantly sculpt the world that we live in. A chip here and a chip there and the rock does not look like it did the day before.
Change is a simple fact of life, we need to change with it and adapt in order to survive or we go the way of empires and crumble into the dust of time and the dusty tomes that fill basements in libraries.
If we were truly afraid to embark on new endeavors, something that would have great impact on our lives, Amerigo Vespucci and Christopher Columbus would still be staring at maps and playing with toy boats in vessels of water. If the minds that shape and mold our world were afraid to step out of their comfort zone, we would still be painting hieroglyphics on rock walls and chipping flint to make a fire to chase the dampness from our caves. Never color in the lines Momo, go outside them and make your picture stand out among the others.
Later...
Ron
Smiling Pig ©
March 15, 2009 11:50 AM