090909

A lot of people have a fascination with numbers and the date will not escape those who feel that these patterns are somehow and strangely meaningful. As soon as I said this I thought about past predictions about foreboding upon specific dates. Remember the dreaded end of the millennium in 1999 and the fear of 'Y2K' bringing possible problems to the computer world? What about looking forward to the end of the Mayan calendar in 2012 and some people are associating that with the end of the world too! I too am fascinated by numbers but in a true mathematical sense rather than a numerological sense. Today's date of "09.09.09" seems to hold such similar mystical reverence for these believers, especially at 9a.m. on the morning which brought a fourth 'nine' into the equation. Last year it was the same for 8a.m on the '08.08.08' and next year it will be 10a.m. on the 10.10.10. I now recall one of those silly 'e-mails' that got passed around large circles of friends, falling into my in-box just over three years ago. It claimed that at 01:02:03 hours on the 04.05.06 which was such a special time and date, so many wonderful things would happen and that this alignment would never happen again!
Yes it will actually - in exactly one hundred years time in 2106 and it also happened 100 years ago in 1906!
As to the date to which it referred, this was either May fourth or April fifth, depending on whether you use the European or the American formats. The European one is logically more consistent since it runs in the true size order of second, minute, hour, day, month and year, whereas the American one jumps from hour to month before falling back to day and then continuing to year!

At 9 a.m. on this very auspicious day, life found me sitting at my computer in the office as usual wondering why the coffee from the coffee machine tasted like liquid plastic mixed in with hints of everyone else's selections from tea to beef soup. As I became aware of the four nines in a row marking this special moment, I said in my best 'Miss Congeniality' voice, "What every society needs now is World Peace!"
You can put '090909' into a search engine if you want to see all the associated ideas with it. Personally I have no desire to link to those pages and those bizarre ideas from here. I have enough of my own rubbish on these pages!

My little sister, Kyomi came to meet me from work and I gave her a quick tour around the offices as part of my desire to broaden her experience and with that in mind, we also went for a few drinks and watched the re-run of our national soccer team beat Ghana four goals to their three.

Did any of you experience anything special on that fascinating date?
I don't know why I ask these questions since no one answers - we'd better consider them as rhetorical.

Additional:
I looked at my traffic monitor and I noticed that in less than 30 minutes after posting it, I had received one hit from Google.com, someone in the USA was looking for the "090909 numbers in a row". Again I am number one in the list for this phrase!
This is certainly a quick response from the Google spiders and it quickly gets me noticed at once. I must thank you Mr Google
for putting me quickly and highly into those search results.


0 comments :: 090909

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.