We humans are creatures of curiosity by nature. Oh we love a good mystery and I think those who feel they have some semblance of deductive prowess don't like the answers to mysteries given them all at once. It is like the mystery thriller that we read, whose pages are full of 'switchbacks', false trails and have enough clues so that an observant, reasonably intelligent reader can at least hazard a guess as to who did it and have a chance at being right.
Mysteries are everywhere and even the person behind a blog can be a mystery.
We all know that I'm mysterious, right? (Laughs!)
There have been a couple of English blogs that I not only liked to read but they were so famous or well-known that I read of them and of their authors on other blog-sites and also in on-line newspapers.
Belle de Jour was an interesting read for me because she had a down-to-earth approach and a matter of fact presentation. I loved how she acquainted us her view of the events in her life as a call girl in one guise and also as an ordinary person living her everyday life as they unfolded. It wasn't the activities of her prostitution that attracted me to her blog, it was her ability to write a witty sentence and create a persuasive persona.
She was a blogger and the British Guardian newspaper voted her blog as 'blog of the year' in 2003. She blogged about her life as a London call girl and also published two books in a diary format along the same theme of her blog posts and she also contributed to a newspaper column and wrote a third book classed as fiction. The fame was a magnet for the shadier side of journalism and many of the journalists of the type that are quite often depicted as gutter-rats in movies, targeted her for the great expose because no one really knew the person behind such a well read blog!
Rumor control, office think tanks and associated gossip columnists went into over-drive trying to guess as to whom she could be and there were many educated guesses made with seemingly logical reasoning including males and figures from the journalistic world. Belle hid herself well behind a series of agents and only recently did she decide to reveal herself and that was because of some threats of being exposed by a dreadful ex-boyfriend of hers.
Belle de Jour revealed herself to be a research scientist working in child health at a Bristol University hospital and as I said, we all love a mystery and yet we want desperately to know what lies behind such mysteries. Unfortunately once the mystery has been revealed it seems to lose a lot of its appeal and attraction. I liked not knowing, I liked the attempts to know and all of the speculation, I too wanted to know who she could possibly be and now that I do, I wish I didn't know!
Come back Belle!
I have enjoyed my own anonymity on the internet until I started to be active on message boards and then opening my own blog where little by little I reveal some components of the whole. But even now I never fully reveal everything about myself. Some people know quite a lot about me and some people know just a little and some build up pictures by connecting all the dots but when I write of my life I tend to have a line or two that I won't cross because like anyone else I have the right to privacy. I imagine that if someone was really determined enough to try to find out about me, not that I'm special or have celebrity status, then I guess there are enough clues in my writings for someone so determined to come and find me but if you do come then please bring flowers and a smile and not a shady journalist.
Or I could do what Belle de Jour did and reveal myself....
OK, I'll do it.
I am really Snow White!


When I was little girl I love reading fairy tales collected by Grimm Brothers, I still have a book with these stories.
I mentioned in one of my recent posts that we do like reading others blogs and it's true that when we don't know everything, if there are some lack of facts that we naturally treat as a misteries and secrets so it becomes much more interesting. I haven't known Belle's blog but I have read many polish blogs about girls who work as prostitutes and then, the anonymity is the most important thing in writing a blog by such person.
People write more or less about personal things, but we like to hide some facts behind the curtain of transitive sense, words game and innuendos - for us the main but hidden sense is obvious and we will understand what we meant by that even after long time, but for readers it may be too difficult to understand, some of them are too lazy to try to find the real meaning and there are some who don't even notice intentions in our writing.
Blogger's world is absolutely amazing, don't you think? ;)
hugs my dear lovely sister :)
Anna
November 20, 2009 6:29 PMDo you live with the seven dwarfs ?
Unknown
November 21, 2009 11:03 AMI can remember several books from the 70's by prostitutes and I believe the most famous in the states was the "Happy Hooker". Whether fiction or biography it rocketed her to a short time into notoriety and she made the talk show circuit and then the film, which to me was just another porn flick. Low budget, poor acting and just something to get men that don't read to pull their wallets out.
A peek into anyone's life is an intimate act and one not to be taken as lightly. Many lessons to be learned as they talk of their life, but I agree with you that there is a certain amount of privacy that should be taken, if all is known we have lost that mystery that as drawn us to begin with and once that veil has been removed it is like the feeling you get on Christmas morning when you have torn the beautiful wrapping off the present. I like the excitement of anticipation and the mystery of not knowing what is inside. And Momo does have such a beautiful wrapping.
Later...
Smiling Pig
November 24, 2009 5:21 AM