Hitomi (front-second) and Reisa (front - fourth), who we met on Sunday morning, have both appeared on Okinawa TV, and I see here on BS-2 on the satellite channels. It was recorded on Monday afternoon for a Wednesday evening broadcast. Doesn't she look beautiful there? Naturally I take a lot of pride in her achievements.
There is something basically human about relating tales of the human experience, from the firesides of ancient peoples to the books, TV and the theater today. We read or watch stories of other people to better understand ourselves and others in our ever broadening experience in lives both like and unlike our own.
I'd just like to say that actors and actresses are not empty people. They are not merely clay to be molded by the script and they are not stringed puppets at the command of the author or director. If you think of your favorite movie with your favorite actor in the lead part, I tell you that had that lead gone to another actor the whole movie would have felt different. Each actor brings his or her unique interpretation of the character alive.
They read the part well and interpret that part not only as they believe that part was written by the author but also try to present that character to the audience in a believable way. The actor mirrors these two distinct parts and the audience believe the reflection and becomes absorbed into the presentation.
I believe Shakespeare once said that "all the world is a stage and all the men and women merely players."When you think about that for a moment we do act out different parts during the day. I play the part of a fashion journalist at work and then as a customer when I go shopping. I may play the part of hostess to our restaurant customers later and play the part of family girl when I'm with my father and my brother. We each have not one but many parts to play every day of our lives. So it is not a difficult thing to imagine that if we play so many parts as normal life demands of us each and every day that we sometimes lose track of who we really are and that some of our friends see us differently from other friends.
If you are as I say, composed of many parts and I say to you "just be yourself", which part will you play?
The real me and the real you is perhaps not the ones our friends or family see in us because in their presence we are acting a specific role. The real us is most probably not the person we imagine ourselves to be either. Self illusion and self deception really distort our self image!
The real 'us' I imagine would be when we are comfortably alone and happy without knowing why.
It's something to think about.

Congratulations to Hitomi. I think I would be thrilled to see someone I know appear on TV.
It's interesting to see how many roles we act out during the day as you say but I think I'd like to expand on that. At first I was thinking about what you said and of the different roles I had played with different people but also the different roles I have had with the same person.
To the same girl I have been casual friend, close friend, lover, co-parent, cook, advisor, assistant, nurse, repair-guy and the list goes on. But really it was just the first four that I think of in how the relationship developed over time. I think I just label the attachment level and don't really think of how many roles I act out. I suppose I like to keep things simple.
Garth
November 05, 2009 11:39 PMWe all act our part, unscripted though it may be, impromptu situations may cause us to take another roll or be a little more adlibed, but never the less we play our part.
As for acting, who is not an actor, some just are fortunate enough to be paid for their performnce and some I have seen should be charged for performing. Good actors, bad actors they walk among us each day and yet we pay to see a performance when the best performaces are being played all around us for free. Stories within stories, dramas, comedies, horror, ficton and biographies all for the price of opening your eyes and mind.
I have been following a very endearing one for sometime now and I find myself always looking forward to the next scene.
Later...
Smiling Pig
November 07, 2009 10:53 AM