You can tell can't you!
I guess I just wasn't sure whether I'd delete it as I said I would or leave it as some memorial to past times or if I would continue with it. As you may imagine, the last few weeks have been emotionally stressful for me with the breakup of my long term relationship and even that's uncertain. I just don't know where I am with that so I'll leave it until we have our promised future dinner date. I think we need to talk just to know how everything stands and which directions we all take for the future.
I've had a lot of work from the translation company and that has occupied my days and I've been to the Mars alone to show that I'm still smiling and to say hello to Asako and Kaori, who are now the longest lasting couple who regularly use the Mars. I seem to remember in my post 'Bread and circuses', that I made mention of the fact that Hitomi and I had this austere honor when the previous couple who had been together longer than us split up. I also went to have dinner with Terutaka again and discuss this thing about music that we argued about last time. Of all the things in the world we could talk about, this small thing had sat in some corner of my mind and in quiet moments as I thought about it, I thought more and more that the was misunderstood.
In my post "Am I lost", and I quote...
We talked about the fact that music itself does not contain any emotion and I wanted to disagree with him saying that we can all name happy songs, sad songs and love songs. He just coldly said that it is we ourselves that make connections to the music or the title of the lyrics and the emotion we feel is actually what's in our minds. The music may trigger something in our memories or we may connect the lyrics to an event in our lives. I reluctantly agreed with him.He's right that a piece of music can't literally feel sad as that was his argument. It's also true that as we listen we don't necessarily feel sad when we hear a sad piece of music. In fact we may just enjoy the wonderful performance of a so called sad piece and appreciate the work and artistry and the expression that has gone into its creation, composition and performance. What I wanted to say to him at that time was that even outside of music there are discordant chords or sounds that produce a feeling within us. He listened patiently and then again pointed out that it's still our interpretation of it and how would an animal or an alien being interpret the same?
I guess I can't win on that one.
What are you all time saddest (English) songs?
Please do add them in comments - don't be shy - no one's going to judge you!
I know quite a few and there are so many good ones to choose from for instance 'Creep' and 'No Surprises' by Radiohead, 'Everyone hurts' by REM and so many more and my specification of English excludes many Japanese songs and one of my favorites, 'Plus Pres de moi' by San-drine. But my top five sad songs as of right now and not in any particular order must be:-
- I'm not in love - 10 cc
- Time and time again - Stretch Princess
- Perfect - Michelle Featherstone
- We might as well be strangers - Keane
- Forever Autumn - Moody Blues
I upgraded to Firefox six on the recommendations of a couple of my friends.
Everything was great except for one small detail. The Google tool-bar is not supported and I must admit that I am a Google tool-bar lover.
However not all is lost!
Looking around Google I found and adjusted but fairly well followed the method I found here and I am a happy girl again since I have my tool-bar returned to me once more.

0 comments :: An update
Post a Comment
Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.