Speed Queen

As promised... more to myself than anyone else, Rina and I went back to the track we saw when I was researching for locations at the beginning of the month. It seemed a little colder but I don't know if because we are almost a month closer to the winter or those little butterflies in my tummy blow a lot of cold air with their wings.
Yes I was a little nervous.




How hard can it be I thought to myself and said aloud to Rina, but more for self bravado and comfort I suspect. There were children there and they were quite comfortable and walking around like its another game on their PS2 and here are Rina and I who are used to driving in one of the most heavily traffic laden cities in the world feeling like outsiders.



Could it be a combination of excitement and fear of the unknown and a fear of failure?
It matters not! We are here to enjoy ourselves, face our little fears and become the all new speed queens.


First we had to buy insurance and then we went around the track but without the kart. We actually had to walk around it for familiarity. Then we were introduced to the kart itself with the controls and what was what and then like a mother duck taking her brood to the pond, we followed one of the instructors around the track so he could show us a line which is essential for good cornering amongst other things. Once we had that out of the way we were all let loose and all the beginners had fun. Everyone else's fun seemed faster than my fun but I still smiled inside my space helmet. Oh I wanted to tell the young ones off for unsafe motoring and cutting me up on the inside but I had fun even if Rina and I didn't win. I think we were lapped a few times but it was fun. I was pleased that I managed to get all the way around the track without hitting the barriers. We stood out a little not by being potential kart champions but by being older females ha ha! The others in our introductory class were young teenage boys. How would they live with themselves if they didn't beat us? Rina and I understand the male ego and so of course we let them beat us.
That's our excuse for today.


There are some people who are candidates for the X-files. As soon as I say that I picture a guy in my mind with long blond hair as my mental model. He should be achromatic and ashen but has now become a very rich green. These kinds of people tend to believe every conspiracy theory that is presented before them and greedily consume the strange and the beautiful because it conforms to their 'mean world' idea. I have found that I too may believe some offered explanations of conspiracy like the Kennedy assassination and even the 9/11 story. The problem is that some events don't seem to fit within the framework of the offered explanation because a counter explanation is offered against the 'official' one which may offer us possibilities that seem to fit with what we think we know about it. Then suddenly the official explanation gets tainted with adjectives such as 'deception' and 'misleading' and then a whole plot is formed by the alternative explanation. A conspiracy is born and the best ones have all the elements of truth and then add reasonable assumptions that appear to fit the unknown facts to give substance to the conspiracy theory.

First we get the original conspiracy theory from someone who doesn't have access to all of the facts but he does have popularity amongst equally knowledge deficient 'friends'. This is how the nucleus group is formed.
Some in that group will accept the story without much question with their various misunderstandings of the facts and misunderstands of basic science. The academics and professionals when confronted with this will dismiss the story out-of-hand because of some greater knowledge, better insight and perhaps wouldn't even risk their position or reputation in trying to dismiss it. This somehow gives credence to the conspiracy and if new facts appear then new elements have to be added to the original conspiracy to keep it a reasonable counter theory to the official line and official denials just get added to the secretive nature of the plot.
It is said that those events that are most important are often the hardest to understand and these are very attractive to the myth-maker. We naturally try to make sense of everything in moral, political and scientific terms to give meaning to the events around us. Some events are seemingly unexplainable which just provokes the inquirer to look harder until he finds some 'reasonable' solution that will offer him personal satisfaction and the emotional reward of believing he has found some hidden truth. Combine these logical fallacies with a lack of evidence and you have the ideal conditions.

But if you believe one or two conspiracies then you are the ideal candidate for believing more. Personally I don't think Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone and the official explanations of 9/11 do not cover all the evidence I've seen so I'm open minded about those two events. But I believe man walked on the moon and the British Princess Diana died in an accident and that alien beings have not visited us so I'm not a total conspiracy believer. But for those that do like to favor mostly every weird story that comes along then I've noticed that they usually have a tendency to eventually become paranoid, anti-social, sullen, aggressive, and egotistical as well. "The truth is out there." suddenly becomes "They're out to get me!"
Definitions become hazy and the line between black and white becomes an indistinct grey.

Question 1:
Do you know anyone like that?
Question 2:
What conspiracies do you believe?
The truth is out there.

1 comments :: Speed Queen

  1. I am happy to see that the cart tracks are now safe once again to drive on...just teasing you. We have them here but are called Malibu Racing. They can exhilarating as long as you stay on the track...

    The delusional...Paranoia...Psychotic Hallucinations... We have all been there I think at one point in our lives. Some to a different degree from that of another. Whether it was self induced by the abuse of drugs or a chemical imbalance at one point in our life we have experienced it. Some people can pull their self out of it alone, some with the help of a doctor and unfortunately the use of drugs and then there are those that have succumbed to this malady and are trapped in this delusional world where reality is shrouded in mental hallucinations. Some go through life without ever knowing that they suffer from this disease. Jung, Freud and the rest of the boys could have a field day in the chat rooms I think. They seem to be a breeding ground of undiagnosed mental disorders.

    I wonder if someday in the future they will relate some mental incapacity on over use of the chat rooms and if like tobacco companies being sued by cancer victims for the companies not posting the proper warning labels on the packs of cigarettes, if some chatter will sue Yahoo for them not placing a warning splash out before entering a room? "Warning, the Surgeon General has required us to warn you that the use of chatrooms may be mentally debilitating. Excessive use of chat rooms may cause you to become a blithering idiot." Ahh..wait and see I guess, but I think I see a few future millionaires in the room.

    Later...
    Ron

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.