
Today I want to rant. I mean really rant and all because of the news.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96805507
Which says: Statins May Help Already Low Cholesterol Levels
A large research study released Sunday at the American Heart Association meeting in New Orleans is rocking the cardiology world. It suggests that even people with normal or low cholesterol levels can benefit from a cholesterol-lowering drug known as a statin.
In other words not just people who are told that they have high levels of cholesterol, but ordinary people should take them too to reduce potential risk.
I am hereby stating that this is the biggest medical lie of these last two decades. Cholesterol does NOT kill you!
The only amazing thing about statins are that the drug manufacturing business is making more money on this product and I'm not adverse to any company making profit, but I do mind when they do it wrongly.
Hey Jazz are you a chemist or a doctor?
No I'm not, but I know people who are. I'm not mentally deficient and I had a decent education, but not in this field. This does not prevent me from trying to basically explain the great con.
I do say it's a great con because there are people who know exactly what it is and still sell you a myth in order to give themselves profit. This is not a case of the harmless placebo effect either because statins are potentially dangerous.
How confused are we?
As confused as they tried to make us!
We are told omega 3 is good, then it isn't, coffee is good, then it isn't, green tea is good and then it isn't and its really confusing to us but good for you because you get to write a book about it and get a research grant.
The heart-diet hypothesis clearly reports that if you eat too much food containing cholesterol and or saturated fats the level of cholesterol in your blood will rise. Over time this thickens and is deposited on artery walls which can lead to blockages of the artery which leads to a heart attack.
This dear reader is wrong. It is wronger than the wrongest thing on the wrong day of the wrong year. Yet like todays version of an old wives tale many people believe it. So many believe that high cholesterol levels were the biggest factor for heart attacks and then they all started to look for a wonder drug to lower it. In the early years of the 60's and the 70's some new drugs designed to do just that actually killed more people than they saved, but hey we have to start somewhere, right?
Along come statins.
There is a small valley in Northern China where a curios little plant clings desperately to life. It is red yeast rice and is stays alive by making a poison so animals don't come along and eat it. It was from this poison that lovastatin was produced which blocked the enzyme responsible for cholesterol synthesis in the liver. Ergo in less than fatal does it should lower the levels of cholesterol in blood and hey, they have a great way to make money say the patent holders, Merck and every other rival company cried because they missed a trick but oh how they wanted their own versions of this wonder
Fact: Atorvastatin is the world's biggest selling drug today.
But it has its rivals and for the ruthlessness in the business side - see this article. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8008324
Many doctors didn't believe it at first, but these companies made so many 'clinical trials' in an attempt to gain sympathetic understandings and increase belief and it's worked!
So how do these companies continue to sell us this crap?
They send us to do a blood test and we become frightened by the result that you have ... drum roll please... a dangerously high blood cholesterol level. There are wrong things that doctors have been taught over the years but the same as you and I, the medical hierarchy is reluctant to admit any mistakes ever.
Here are the true facts and they are important that you accept them so not to be frightened by this medical myth that is fulled by greed.
1a. A high fat diet, saturated or not has no impact on your blood cholesterol level.
1b. There is no such thing as a blood cholesterol level!
2. High cholesterol levels don't even cause heart attacks
3. Statins do NOT protect against heart disease by lowering levels of cholesterol
4. Statins have more side effects than any protection they may offer (deaths and deformed babies)
5. Experts who promote statins are paid lots of money to read us the company definition and not the real truth.
Cholesterol is not some deadly toxin that we have to try to avoid or lower levels to a healthy tolerance. Without cholesterol we would die.
Question: Why is an egg yolk so full of cholesterol?
Answer: Because it takes a hell of a lot of the stuff to make a chicken.
Cholesterol is manufactured by your liver and in 24 hours it can create the same amount in your body as if you ate six to eight egg yolks. If today I ate six egg yolks then my liver would shut down production of it for 24 hours because I have ingested enough and so it need not manufacture the stuff. Cholesterol is the stuff that makes your cell membranes maintain their wall structure & integrity and its not just the liver that can make this essential chemical, its nearly every cell except nerve cells that can make it.
There is even a disease, called the Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome in which sufferers have dangerously low levels of cholesterol, and the danger of that poor brain synapse construction. Vitamin D is made from cholesterol by sunlight on skin stops. Cells disintegrate. Sex hormones are not made. Bile is not produced (no digestion)
Cholesterol is necessary for life.
There is no such thing as a good cholesterol level or a bad cholesterol level or a total cholesterol level or even a ration of good and bad.
Cholesterol does not dissolve in water and therefore will not dissolve in blood and so it's carried around in blood by cells called lipo-proteins. Another substance that won't dissolve in blood is fat and so they are also carried by lipo-proteins and that is the ONE AND ONLY connection between fats and cholesterol.
So what happened to cholesterol blood level?
It cannot exist - perhaps they mean lipo-protein level and the problem with that is there are several different kinds of these and some are not even called by that name.
So already you know that if you eat less cholesterol, your liver produces more just to maintain your levels.
and you know there is no cholesterol in your blood. Forget and dismiss headlines that say "High dietary cholesterol leads too .... Low levels healthy..... It's all a big lie making drug companines rich on a modern myth.
What the hell do you know Jazz? There are experts out there that say statins are good and I have to lower my cholesterol. It's a healthy option.
I say type "The truth about Cholesterol" into any search engine and get a different opinion.
If you want to lessen your risk of heart disease -do the following.
1. Don't smoke
2 Eat fruit and vegetables (look at our teeth, we are not natural carnivores)
3 Exercise
4 A moderate alcohol intake
5 Avoid stress where you can, stress is not something we cope with easily despite company papers saying meet it as a challenge. Yes we have to find ways to cope with it but you need to find the differences between physical / psychological stressors that create 'healthy' and 'unhealthy' stress responses.
I posted this because I told Hitomi not to attend a clinic for measuring her cholesterol level and a chat with several friends in the know.
I would like to thank Doctor Kendrick for much of my knowledge on this topic.
Very topical too.
Even as I type response they are talking about this in the BBC News.
In the latest clinical trials more than 48% of those who took the drug showed a less likelihood of suffering heart attacks in the near future.
Most people look at the statistics and results of trials, not many look at the control group test protocols.
I don't personally know much about it but I know that a lot of lies do hide themselves to protect profits in many corporate affairs so this wouldn't be beyond belief either.
I typed the truth about cholesterol into Google as you suggested and was surprised.
http://www.loweryourcholesterolnow.com/lowercholesterol.html?pg=bpsite
was a good read, it agrees with what a lot of what you said Jazz but then goes on to sell you a product to lower your cholesterol and unlike statins which only work for small percentages of the population, this Xtend life they are selling works for an amazing 85%
The X files told us that the truth is out there. The down side is that you have to shovel away so much gunk to find it.
The 21st century is the age of ease of access to knowledge right?
We are still selling lies.
We might look back to the 1900's and laugh at their nativity about life the universe and everything
People in the year 2100 will look at us and laugh!
Garth
November 11, 2008 7:13 AMwe live in a world where a farce is truth...they even use it to sell breakfast cereal in the states..by taking the "cholesterol challenge".
you know as well as I do that these are promoted and targeted at the ignorant and uninformed that inhabit this planet, the hypochondriacs that support these drug manufacturers.
I honestly think they do not expect everyone to fall for their center ring circus performance, not every one likes a clown.
P.T Barnum once said, "There is a fool born every minute." a popular corporate motto not versed verbatim, but none the less hidden in their wording. and then there is that old adage, "you can fool some of the people all the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't foo all the people all the time."..too bad they never got passed the first part.
you can educate people Momo, but that doesn't mean they are going to get any smarter. there will always be someone who will listen and believe what they are told.
later...
Ron
Smiling Pig ©
November 11, 2008 2:16 PMMike Matthews post deleted by me:
You can advertise elsewhere!
Garth I don't think they will laugh at us but perhaps feel sorry that that when we thought we were in the light we were really in the dark. Apparently leeches are a good thing too in the medical world. I know maggots are used to eat away dead skin. But taking a drug that stops your liver from producing the necessary Cholesterol is dangerous and even more so is that they have many qualified doctors also believing it.
Ron thanks. Didn't Barnum sell snake oil? (laughs) As Richard Feynman said "Of all the many values in science, the greatest must be the freedom to doubt"
When we are born we are programmed to accept lessons taught us by authority figures such as parents and teachers. Unfortunately most of us also accept rumors and gossip without substantiation. But here the truth has not only been suppressed but it has been presented and sold to doctors as fact and has a great proportion of them believing it too. Due to Doctors working so many hours and seeing so many people it is easier to give them a pill and shout "next!"
Sir William Ostler said " One of the first duties of a physician is to educate the public not to take medicine"
Since then we stepped over to the other side in efforts to sell drugs and medicines and produce many variations for every complaint because people like choices. Every commercial break has some over the counter medicine for sale.
It seems we like to have one side in power until disillusionment demands the other side.
No not politics but the things we say and believe.
Jazz
November 11, 2008 8:21 PMThis is too much for me.
If it tastes good:
1: Eat it.
2: Exercise
Kofi Bofah
November 14, 2008 5:14 AMI don't agree, Jazz:
One should do as their doctors suggest, and seek additional opinions from physiscians if they doubt a diagnosis or a treatment. We should be informed, but should not become our own doctors.
The AMA (american medical association) recommends cholesterol testing every 5 years for adults. "Blood Cholesterol" is defined as the total amount of High Density Lipoproteins (HDL), Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL), and Triglicerides in a sample of blood. Blood Cholesterol does exist as a measurable variable, and has been defined.
You are correct that cholesterol levels do not cause heart attacks directly...but it has been clinically and statistically shown that consistently high average Cholesterol and LDL levels (Hypercholesterolemia and Hyperlipidemia) increase the likelihood of heart disease and cardiovascular disease. Both heart disease and CV disease both make heart attack and stroke more likely. So while Cholesterol doesn't kill people, disease does...and Cholesterol is a measurable indicator of a risk factor to these diseases...
Your argument is like saying guns aren't dangerous because bullets are what will kill you...but without that gun...a bullet is it's just a metal case holding gunpowder and a pebble. If there are guns around, you should probably pay more attention to the risk of being shot!
Statins are one of the better, cheaper ways to manage average cholesterol levels in the general population of an industrialized country, they are also quite effective and though they have side effects, they are rare. I had high cholesterol and high blood pressure at 19, even though I was an athlete training about 9 hours every day. That's just my body's natural chemistry. I'm a lipoprotein factory. My father is the first person in my family to take statins. He's also the first person in my family not to die of a heart attack or stroke before age 65. I started taking them 5 years ago, and also take blood pressure medication and asprin every day, as prescribed by my physician. I do not think I am stupid for doing so, nor am I being "cheated."
Chemistry, the development of pharmaceuticals including antibiotics and the understanding of microbes' roles in illness are the greatest advances in human health EVER. Biochemistry and it's application have allowed us to DOUBLE average lifespan in less than 2 generations. Clinical trials are the most widespread application and practical use of scientific method in our species' history. It WORKS. And, yes, it costs a lot, because it costs a lot to produce...and the risks of drug trials are huge...so the price is not unfair.
Also, Of course promoters of products get paid. That's how that system works. Advertisements, however, are different than clinical results. Everyone should watch ads with a skeptic's eye. But companies who don't talk about their products are not going to last very long.
If I had a gripe about medicine, it would be on our world's medical priorities:
- More money is spent on Viagara than on any other single medicine in the world
- For people who choose to pay for treatment (rather than insurance or government covered treatment), the largest percentage of income is spent on COSMETIC treatments...not preventative care, not remedial care...but surgery to make one PRETTY
- Alcohol, particularly wine, is marketed as a HEALTH FOOD because of one study. This is despite the horrific side effects, costs and addictiveness of that chemical.
We listen to the sales pitch for medicine that gives us sex, beauty, and intoxication more than we listen to evidence that will keep us healthy. We'd rather be pretty, pleasured and tranquilized than well. How screwed up and histrionic is that?
Another guy
November 14, 2008 6:05 AMJust wanted to tell you that I am very interested in this issue as a health care provider (acupuncturist/herbalist) and as a hyperlipidemia patient. It is hard to know exactly what to believe on this issue, but science has definitely shown a link between statins and lowering of cholesterol, and between high cholesterol and likelihood of strokes and/or heart attacks. So far so good, but where the doctors and drug companies have gone too far is the assumption that the lower the cholesterol, the better. I do believe that cholesterol plays some beneficial role in the body, even though I also believe, as the doctors say, that too high levels are dangerous.
As someone with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, my doctor (a very caring and alternative-friendly doc) prescribed statins for me, and I had been on them about 2 years when symptoms of neuropathy (mostly numbness in the lower legs and arms) started. After going to a neurologist and undergoing numerous tests (one involved drawing 16 vials of blood), he determined that the most likely cause was the statins and reduced my dosage significantly. 2 weeks after this, the symptoms disappeared. The interesting thing is that I did a little research after this and found that there are many people out there suffering from nerve problems linked to statins (check Google). Most of these were told by their doctors that it was their imaginations, or some psychological problem. Since no problems like this apparently showed up during the clinical trials, there is no documentation of this as a possible side effect, so the drug companies and most doctors
refuse to acknowledge it. It has the potential to develop into the next Vioxx-type scandal, with big bucks lawsuits of course to follow, so the pharmaceutical industry is doing its best to keep the lid on it. I was lucky that my neurologist was honest and steered me the right way. As he said, "cholesterol plays some beneficial role with respect to nerve coatings and nerve action."
durian
November 15, 2008 1:34 AMThanks for your comment Durian.
I think it's interesting not just for carers but also for everyone.
You say "but science has definitely shown a link between statins and lowering of cholesterol, and between high cholesterol and likelihood of strokes and/or heart attacks." and I disagree with half of that!
FIRST HALF
Of course statins lower measurable cholesterol. They stop your liver producing it, therefore less LDL's in the blood count.
SECOND HALF
One side of the science debate shows those connections because IF it was true, then they can get you to believe that lowering cholesterol is a good thing.
Analogy time. If I have a disease you might find white cells in my blood (the cells that fight disease) you can then say oh every time we have a disease we have high white cell counts. Lets lower the white cell counts by stopping bone marrow from manufacturing them... Do you see my point?
I have stated that cholesterol is essential for life, not just nerve coatings like you say but also Vitamin D manufacture from sunlight on skin and the very integrity of your cell walls. Taking a statin stops your liver from producing natural cholesterol. Basically you are upsetting the balance of your body chemistry and stopping an essential process every time you take a statin.
Going back to your claim of the science of Cholesterol levels and heart attacks, I say for every one you show me that says "yes", I can show you one that says "no!"
watch this:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SSCNaaDcE
I'm glad you were able to prevent further damage to your neurological system. I have covered most of your concerns in my initial post and my subsequent replies to other comments.
Thanks very much for your contribution.
Jazz
November 15, 2008 4:21 AMThere are natural alternatives to statins which claim to bring down cholesterol levels such as plant sterols which are now added to some margarines, plus products containing souluble fibre such as oats.
I don't know much about cholesterol - there seem to be so many arguments for and against it. One thing I heard is that cholesterol can be good for your brain to stop depression. I think the best thing to do is eat everything in moderation.
I was wondering Jazz, what accounts for the long lifespan of the average Japanese person ? Is it mainly to do with your diet of seafood,seaweed, tofu and drinking green tea, etc ? I read/seen somewhere that the Japanese incorporate a very wide range of foods into their diet - maybe this is an important factor too.
Judging from your technical and medical knowledge, I think you must have been a doctor in a previous life, Jazz.
quietman
November 15, 2008 8:34 AM