Is she?

I often wonder to what extent we lie to ourselves about something. It may be easy to lie to others and even be convincing about it but how do we lie to ourselves and get away with it? More to the point, should we lie to ourselves?
I think when we start lying to ourselves and do it repeatedly it becomes harder to discern our own truths. Continuing along this path we lose our ability to respect others and ourselves. We lose our ability to trust others and ourselves. We become faithless, empty people who have nothing but contempt for others and we amuse ourselves with our own petty vices and we merely play with the emotions of others in a very uncaring attitude.
Oh my stars! I went further with that paragraph than I first thought I would...
Oh look Momma, she's going to talk about sex again!
What's wrong with this girl?

No, I wanted to say something about how I felt inside in the living of a lie. I have had three loving relationships with men and I honestly believe that I loved each one of them and our relationship during its time was good and honest. Because of this I always thought of myself as bi-sexual. I really dislike this term because to me it feels like the relationship I enjoyed was nothing more than a sex based one. Nothing could be further from the truth. My last boyfriend took me to the last step before marriage and of becoming a Mother and that was a very sad and tragic ending. At the time I had accepted that this would be my life and I really was looking forward to it. Of course I can look back at those times from today and know that the hormonal changes inside me may well have contributed to those feelings. You can't condemn our own nature. Actually I don't want to talk about those dark times.
It's what came after that.
I went though a depression and I went through drugs and I went through hell and still I had not found myself, or had I? Because even in my early teens and at school I knew that I was different. I didn't know exactly what it was about me that was different from everyone else and sometimes in trying to peek inside my own soul and what I saw scared me. I learned quite quickly that something was wrong and had to be hidden. Then when I met Erika who was like me in the way I felt, I opened up a little and although still hidden from others, she showed me exactly what it was to enjoy being a lesbian behind the veils. After school came university and my first male lover.
I don't want to talk about him either.
What I want to get back to there is what came after my last boyfriend.
I'd had three relationships with men I had and nothing to show for it. It was time to become more honest with myself. I became a cruiser! Cruisers are the girls that frequent the lesbian bars with nothing more on their agenda than looking for a sex partner. I actually found this satisfying in a shallow way. It felt true and honest and safe to be in another girls arms and the sexual act between us was easier. The 'easier' meaning that I didn't have to confront my feelings within me in an antagonistic way. I learned that I became truly free to express myself and to actually feel good about myself. This just confirmed that this was my version of 'normal'. I took what they gave me and gave what they asked of me and once our thirst's were quenched, like mutual feeding vampires, we'd leave the paid by the hour rooms and head back to the sunlight and our little lives of seemingly ordinary conformity. Meeting Hitomi was different from all the others. For the first time in my life I felt naturally in love. No! The second time... No! The third time...

There had been a couple of girls that had been more to me than the simple vampire feeding frenzy of a single night of hot passion.
But I don't want to talk about them.
I didn't want to just feed on Hitomi. Well actually yes I did! But I wanted more, so much more. I wanted to be greedy and have her all to myself, I wanted her to know my heart, to feel my emptiness, my longing and I wanted her to fill it. I wanted to pour myself into the holes in her life. From a wonderful first few weeks where we fumbled over a forming friendship we found love together and it is during that time that the dull drab grays in my life finally began to find color.
Do you wonder why the rainbow is the symbol of gay pride?
I don't even know my self why it is the symbol and as a good researcher I could use Google to find out but it's OK, I can be honest and say I don't know. I can tell you that those colors felt warm though as I experienced them.

In my mind I felt so much at ease as if I had finally found the truth after a life long mystery. This seemed to be my first and real defining moment where I no longer had to confront the lies of my earlier life and repress any part of me. Here I was finally free within the love of a wonderful person. She was like me, she loved me, she understood me and she accepted me totally with both the light and the dark elements of my soul. Finally here came someone into my life that I could be totally honest with and rejoice with in her finding the same in me. I became a better person, more receptive, happier and more positive and I came to love myself. Loving yourself is important because if you don't love yourself how can you expect another to love you? I also became more tolerant of others who felt that they too were different and that led on to a deeper understanding of the importance of individualism and the need for diversity in our lives. It no longer mattered to me if the world was right in saying lesbian feelings are wrong. Because I felt that these feelings were right and these convictions inside of me were shared by this wonderful new person in my life. Having someone who promises to care for me and having that same someone to care for we find something amazing.
We find that our life in its excitement and its mundane moments won't pass by unnoticed. She will notice it and I become the witness of her life and this becomes another defining moment. It is the moment that we realize that we are no longer alone. It's not just a physical togetherness but it's an alignment of ideas, a rapport of our souls and an alliance of devoted and empathic companionship. This gives us strength, cause, reason and focus and with this strength, the world and its accusations, complaints and incriminations seem like a very small place indeed. I became happy, secure and content and I have found that I have a much greater depth than the shallow, insecure and unsure girl who felt the need to repress a part of her self. The freedom of being honest with myself

Oh! She wasn't as bad as I thought she was gonna be!

Inspired by a girl who had it in her eyes but no heart to admit it.
I'd like to dedicate this post to all the young guys and girls who repress and hide their own urges and feelings.
It's really OK to be "YOU!"

6 comments :: Is she?

  1. You like sex, don't you, haha? ;)
    Your story is an example for fact that sometimes we have to re-define ourselves, searching our true selves is painful and very long, hard and some people will not accept our metamorphosis. You are also the best example that onlu our own acceptation can make us happy in life. Being honest with our soul and heart and true say to yourself "Yes, I am who I am and I love it" is one of the most important and either most difficult things we should do and we have to do it if we want be happy.
    You are someone who can help young people with hesitations in their heart. You can be their hope, power to look into the mirror and say real truth. You are strong... and you give strenght to other who need it.
    I didn't know that rainbow is a symbol of gay pride, but I like it, I've always made a lot of photos if I see the rainbow after rain :)
    Hugs, great post, take care :)
    Anna

  2. Right now?
    No!
    Sex, and importantly, sex with my own gender was, as I said, quite a shallow part of me trying to find a substitute for love. Now I believe it is a perfect expression of love between two devoted partners.

    I would love to be an example of finding my true self inside. You don't have to be gay to find your true soul.
    We also have to remember that some cultures or religions expressly forbid such choices. Some are so shamed because of what society tells them is normal that even if they feel different, they will always have to hide it in the shadows, in the closet.
    Metaphorically speaking: many of us still wear chains forged by the values of others.

    Enjoy your rainbow Anna.
    Hugs
    Momo

  3. Damn, Jazz - you sure can write.

    This post comes far closer to what I believe is the the "why" of love (and sex) that I mentioned in a previous comment. You make me think, yet again. Well done.

    Here's what I think:

    One thing we all (as people) have in common is that we're social beings. We all crave: comradery, companionship, friendship, approval, acceptance...love of all different sorts. Nobody is really a "loner." "Loners" are either afraid, mentally unhealthy, or both. Part of being social, too, is a desire for structure and predictability. Norms differ - and we all differ from our own cultural or group norms to some degree or another.

    Also...I don't think it's possible to love, or let yourself be loved, in a healthy way if we're fighting against who we are.

    Being comfortable being who we are often isn't easy. Sometimes it's not who we wish we were. Other times, society or others tell us we must be (or must not be) a certain way.

    Being comfortable being yourself is only easy if: 1) it's what others will easily accept, and; 2) it's who you want to be.

    If who we are is disapproved of by many - then we better be ready to handle criticism or outright attack. If who we are is not what we wish we were...we have some self-acceptance to work on.

    And yet we are not islands! We are social beings who, even as we work to accept ourselves...we still crave validation from the world around us. Sometimes (in my case, anyways) we strike first. We reject societal acceptance before it can be denied us. We act outlandishly and try to shock or become the center of our worlds...so that we are either branded mavericks, or show-offs. For me, it was a case of daring people to reject me.

    I don't think this applies just to gay people, but all people. Not just to romantic or relationship situations...but in every thing that is core to who we are, and how we see ourselves.

    Finding peace and self acceptance, and accepting of the reactions of others, REGARDLESS of whether they are approving or damning, takes great focus and dedication. But it's also key to being able to love and be loved.

    If we can't even be there for ourselves...how can we for another?

    For my part, my demons have never been in sexuality. Your story, though, makes me think of my own struggles, failings and successes in other areas.

    Your journey you write about makes me think you've approached all these issues.

    Bravo.

    Many people, I think, even those that fall very close to what is "accepted," fail on this journey.

    I wish you joy.

    -Phasmus

  4. Phasmus, thank you so very much for your high praise, more so because of your high social standing and the fact that you are a native speaker.
    But really I just ramble on about the insanity that usually floods my mind.

    There is nothing that you have said here that I would disagree with. You say more openly about finding yourself in areas outside of merely our sexuality. As I said to Anna:
    "I would love to be an example of finding my true self inside. You don't have to be gay to find your true soul."You make it more obvious than I did.
    I have approached many issues as you say Phasmus and some of my issues still await resolution. I don't have all the answers and I don't think I ever will but hopefully my path in life may bring more truths and closer to the other answers.

    Thank you very much for such a wonderful comment and I'll offer you and every one of us a toast to victory of our own indomitable spirits over our demons.

    Kind regards to you too dear Phasmus
    Thank you.

  5. I labored hard and long before posting anything on here and whether it gets posted or not, at least I left my thoughts here.

    I do not see it as finding yourself, but rather as you said accepting yourself. You always knew who you were Momo and the path you were taking. Although you may have walked in the shadows for a while, but you knew in your heart you had to be true to yourself and the convictions you held. Often we mistake confusion for doubt and think that maybe it is just a phase we are going through, to make such a choice as to accept what we know is right for ourselves is sometimes hard and life altering. But once that choice is made we find peace within ourselves and serenity in our acceptance.

    I have met many on here through this journey, but I have met even fewer as true with themselves as you. Phasmus said, "you sure can write" and in that he is correct, but it is what is within what you write that I will say, "you have sight".

    You are missed Momo, more than you know and I am truly sorry for pushing you away.

    Later...

  6. Dear Momo

    I agree with every word you wrote and can say even more. Because our lives have been going similar. Similar because of some evens and life stages.
    It doesn’t matter what was first but I had different relationships, I lose a child, I went through many addictions as drugs. And I was looking for my sexual identity as well – I am still not sure if I’ve already found it. I think many people looking for their sexual identity had had different kinds of sex before they discovered themselves for good. I was the same even with homosexual episodes and some other kinds of this. I also had this time of sexual freedom and know, that gives us only an apparent kind of joy. Because physical joy is not complete without joy of our souls.
    And you are (or were) in love like I used do be or am. Lucky you, lucky we.

    As a confirmation of my words you can read here:
    http://smulu.blogspot.com/2011/09/smulus-bitter-moon.html

    As a confirmation about differences between being a man and woman you can read as well here:
    http://smulu.blogspot.com/2010/01/about-sex-hard-mens-point-of-view-part.html

    And some other but important words you can find I my new post right here:
    http://smulu.blogspot.com/2011/09/about-acceptation-gays-and-judging.html

Post a Comment

Thank you for choosing to comment. I love to hear your thoughts and opinions.