Today there is an ordinary girl who sits at an indistinct little wooden desk who sometimes feels lost in the labyrinth of the megalopolis that she calls home. For a few precious moments her mind wanders and she dreams of a far off little city to the north that is surrounded by imposing hills and that overlooks such calm, deep blue waters. The magic and buoyant impressions that she left behind are replaced by the familiar routines and dedication and duties of home once again. Aristotle once said "One swallow does not make a summer nor is one happy day any guarantee of a happy life". Those moments of sadness we endure and the longer spells of the mundane are lived and don't you think that these, when compared to our happy days, make the happy days just stand out more so that we may appreciate them with a greater relish? He also said that "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind!" so I think he stood on both sides like I do and he too longed to get away from the routines and spend some time, also like I did, in a calm and relaxing place. However that part of my future will change soon too.
Arriving back didn't seem to hold that warm and deep satisfaction that I used to feel walking once more on home soil. Instead I felt some kind of loss for the place that I had left behind me. Momma's final days were of that place too and since I carry her genes I can take a great satisfaction that she loved it there just as much as I do. Perhaps I never realized before just how much I do or perhaps I have learned to appreciate it more in recent times. It's not that I don't like to be home - it's just that now I am here I must face the fact that my new future starts from here. This never-land ends and reality dawns, my carefree moments have been carefully placed away and with an almost regal air I commit myself to my responsibilities.
Rina came to pick me up from Terminal one of Haneda and before we can walk outside to the car park the skies opened and the rain also welcomed me home. As we sought sanctuary in the car, sheet lightning lit up the night sky and made darkness as day for a brief moment. Have you ever noticed that smell in your clothes when they are wet from rain? Back in Otrau, the rain smell seems to be of the Earth, the soil and the trees of the forests but here in Tokyo it seems to have a smell of gasoline and pine. I remarked upon this to Rina and she just smiled her disarming smile and said that I like to make colorful descriptions of everything. Looking out at the rain I made a joke about these being water colors. No reaction and my words were simply blown into the rear area by the hot air blowing in from the engine in an attempt to dry us out a little. Perhaps I only think I'm being witty and perhaps when I color my pretty little pictures my colors don't stay inside the lines! We'd actually driven outside of the airport car park by the time she giggled at what I'd said. We moved up into second gear!
We arrived home and I had my evening meal downstairs in our restaurant as I told Hiro and Rina all my news. Rina was right, I have such happy moments just coloring in!
Now back in my apartment I put my paint box away but leave my suitcase unpacked until tomorrow. Tonight I have a very important letter to write. Once written I shall consider it for several days and re-write this and adjust that but at some point very shortly I shall have to convince myself that it is the final version and then with a mask of great determination to hide reluctance, I shall deliver it.
I had seventeen messages on my phone. I must be slipping I had expected many more!
Hitomi and I talked on the phone for an hour and we exchanged news and my telling her of me acting as a child inspired her to tell me moments of her childhood, times that she particularly enjoyed.
I find it somewhat strange that as we learn about moments from far in the past about people who belong to our present and our future that some of that past, as she tells me of it, is as yet unwritten and I explore these new moments as she describes them to me. Moments she experienced long ago I learn and visualize now. My imagination plays out the words of her past into my today.
Oh such simplistic wonderment!

Aristoteles said:
"The energy of the mind is the essence of life"
and I am sure you have this energy. Comeback to daily reality from quite corner where you could sit down and let yourself focus on your running thoughts longer is always like a shock but it makes us able to stand up and find brave to make some important decisions, find new goals and accustom to new life paths we must step on. Because we can't stop, right?
I noticed difference between smell of rain in the city and in place where I have my summer house. Second one has a forest smell - it's fresh and fills me up with hope and relief.
Take care Momo
Ania
Ania
July 18, 2009 1:28 AM