Yes Jazz has developed a liking for that photo to cartoon site!
Yes of course once we remove the artistic license we see that the candle is the desk lamp, the paper is the monitor and the pen is the keyboard. Most of what I write is through a keyboard, work and my blog and countless e-mails but sometimes I actually do hold a real pen in my hand and write. I take notes in meetings and during interviews and I sign where ever my signature is required. When did you last hold a pen?
But there are times when I sit at my writing desk with a sheet of paper before me and pen and I write in perhaps what may well be considered the old and traditional way. Some letters need to be very intimate and have that personal touch and that is when we use the craft of handwriting and with electronic media becoming prevalent and we try to save trees (paper), handwriting possibly becomes a dying art.
Actually I might be lost and use liters of "white-out" without my beloved spell-check feature.
Let's try to keep alive some traditions, what do you think?
What 'old thing or way' would you like to see kept as modernization and progress passes by?
The other letter which had sat upon my shelf for a week while I considered everything was delivered on Monday. It was not received well and my section editor spoke to me in her office for a while over its content but I explained that I had considered it for a week before I delivered it.
The chief editor wants to see me on Friday and I feel a little intimidated by that but I must remain firm.
And so with work completed and an intimately crafted letter to Hitomi placed in a slightly scented envelope, I can now give my blog some time...
What ever will I say?
I'll not to make it too deep this time, people seem reluctant to swim. Let's just get our feet wet!
I'll just say let's hold on to some things from the past, just because it is old we don't have to throw it away. The mass consumerism has made us such a disposable society and the mountains of garbage will soon block our views of caring for the way we were.
Note: I do monitor traffic to my site and I have noticed a lot coming in on my post entitled "Ballroom Masque". Going into Google images and typing 'ballroom masque', I see I am second and third and my source for the photoshopped mask is first. How delicious!

.jpg)
.jpg)

I would like to see vintage/classic cars and old steam engines preserved - they have much more style and character to them compared to most modern vehicles.
You are correct in saying that the art of handwriting is dying out. I seldom put pen to paper as my handwriting is difficult to read even by my own eyes. I look at old postcards from the beginning of the 20th century and I am always surprised as to how neat the handwriting is.
You seem to be going through a period of transition with these life-changing letters you are writing. I await with interest to see how your future unfolds.
I like those little picture cards you have created - they remind me of the cigarette cards and cards which came free with certain items of grocery that people liked to collect. I must stop writing now as I have written quite a lot already!
quietman
July 29, 2009 11:29 AMQM. I will just say thank you so much. This is the best kind of comment - where readers feel free to respond with thoughts parallel to my writing. It is like a conversational response.
Transitional?
You are very close to the true yet not all can be revealed. I always knew you were observant!
The 'cards' were created with my photos in a free photo editing program from the internet called 'photoscape'
http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php
Thanks once again.
Jazz
July 29, 2009 11:51 AMThe musty smell of old!
I try to avoid the smell of old people...
But I love old Books and old records, old photographs and old school!
Bit of Old Jazz is alright too
As for pen in hand, I also have to say it's not very often although recently I am likely to have pencils in my hand as I teach my friends child how to write and then we have drawing fun. I don't know any computer sketch pad that beats pen & paper and colouring fun!
Garth
July 30, 2009 11:24 AMI'd say old and traditional music especially those of the 70s, 80s and early 90s. To me, they are more pleasant to listen to than the current trend of music such as rap and hip-pop.
I barely use a pen these days. Sometimes when I have to draft a handwritten letter, my fingers starts to ache after just writing a few paragraphs. I'm just not used to holding a pen anymore and I've forgotten how to write so many Chinese characters now!
Andrew
July 30, 2009 7:40 PM